Travelling with teens, best ship?

We are planning a fall cruise with 2 teens (15 &17) as our last family vacation with 2 "kids". Right now we are between the 7 day Harmony out of Galveston or the 7 day Navigator out of LA. Previously the kids have cruised on Liberty out of Galveston and done the Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel itinerary. We are looking to go somewhere different. Youngest will probably not have a passport for this fall (expiring and so close to 16), so closed loop out of US is needed. I would be willing to consider other ships and ports but the price would need to compare when adding higher priced airfare (can drive to LA or Galveston or get direct flight). Youngest said we should just stick to Liberty because they like consistency but of course Liberty is no longer in Galveston (last cruise 2021). Family is fairly introverted and kids have never enjoyed the clubs but waterslides are a must, as well as 2 balcony rooms. We would really like a fun itinerary with good food and some arts, history, and maybe some beach time. As much as I would like a day of diving there are medical reasons that likely make this a no go for at least this year but snorkeling in calm water would probably be ok.

4 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I would do the Harmony, Hit the pleasure pier the day before the cruise. The Harmony has more to do. (We’ve been on the Navigator a lot of times) 

Day before trip is going to depend a lot on my work schedule and what time I can secure off. Unfortunately that is hard to gauge more than a month in advance. Last time we had to drive to the port the day before we sailed and we were exhausted by the time we got to Houston. If we are driving, I am going to try to get there 2 nights ahead, 1 night ahead if flying in. We have gone to the pier, and Moody gardens in the past, so pretrip fun is usually decided by the kids. Last time we just went to The Spot for lunch before boarding.

Harmony for sure, but if your flying already to Galveston, maybe try wonder of symphony out of the Florida ports. As a ship I love harmony, but compared to her sisters I really am not the fond of her. Ofc if your budget allows I'm sure you would be the "cool parent" if you took them on Icon. 

• Like 2

Just now, JP350 said:

Harmony for sure, but if your flying already to Galveston, maybe try wonder of symphony out of the Florida ports. As a ship I love harmony, but compared to her sisters I really am not the fond of her. Ofc if your budget allows I'm sure you would be the "cool parent" if you took them on Icon. 

No chance of Icon this year. I already looked. Galveston is driving or a direct flight, so cheaper. We don't live near a hub airport. Our home airport is small and the nearest larger airport is 5 hours away. Driving to Houston takes about 9 hours. Fly or drive will depend on deals for flights. Right now flying in the fall is stupid high rates but I know prices will drop.

2 hours ago, scubaslayer said:

Youngest will probably not have a passport for this fall (expiring and so close to 16), so closed loop out of US is needed.

it now takes 2 weeks unexpedited to get a passport for a minor. And you never know when you might have an emergency.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it now takes 2 weeks unexpedited to get a passport for a minor. And you never know when you might have an emergency.

Yes, it was shockingly quick.  We applied just before Thanksgiving and got the passports early-Dec.  That was a new passport for daughter, and a marriage name change for me.  There is a passport renewal times thread here.  

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 2:56 PM, scubaslayer said:

No chance of Icon this year. I already looked. Galveston is driving or a direct flight, so cheaper. We don't live near a hub airport. Our home airport is small and the nearest larger airport is 5 hours away. Driving to Houston takes about 9 hours. Fly or drive will depend on deals for flights. Right now flying in the fall is stupid high rates but I know prices will drop.

In that case harmony will make a great choice for a ship. I've sailed on her many times so just ask if you have any questions. 

• Like 1

I've never been on a RCI ship older than Freedom class, but my teens love Oasis class. There is just so much to do. Plus you get an aqua show and Broadway show on Harmony! 

I don't know anything about the West Coast stops, but we've done the Harmony itinerary twice and I think Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan stops fit your needs:

On 1/15/2024 at 1:06 PM, scubaslayer said:

We would really like a fun itinerary with good food and some arts, history, and maybe some beach time... but snorkeling in calm water would probably be ok.

Perhaps:

Cozumel: Beach

Costa Maya: Mayan history tour

Roatan: Snorkeling

• Like 1

P.S. This might help, from cruise spotlight. I *think* this is updated because I found an earlier version with no slides before Navigator was amped, but apologies if something has changed since this.

2024-01-16.thumb.png.d58063a057772746dba9a6c9011273dd.png

2024-01-16(2).thumb.png.e8f25e1ccf410f4a6323c7b9accaf38a.png

• Like 1

If I had to chose between Harmony and Navigator 7 day cruise right now I'd probably choose Navigator.  I've been on Navigator 3 times (short 4 day cruises) and I just got off 14 days of Harmony in Dec. I've also been on Adventure and Mariner which are Navigators sisters.  Harmony's Grease is a shockingly poor performance.  It reminded me of a HS level production.  You can't guarantee you will see an Aqua show since that is very weather dependent and I thought Harmony's was rather boring compared to Oasis.  The Harmony's ice show, my favorite entertainment onboard, is the least favorite ice show I have seen.  Navigator is either #1 or #2  It's hard to say.

Now that Royal has stopped with the tribute band acts on oasis and quantum ships, which was the best musical entertainment onboard, the musical entertainment onboard is a draw.  MDR is a draw.  Windjammer is a draw.  Specialty dining edge goes to Harmony and quiet relaxation edge goes to Harmony with its Central Park.

As far as fun stuff to do onboard with teenagers, the waterslides on Navigator are better. Lazer tag in Studio B on Navigator is great and not available on Harmony. The zip line on Harmony is something they will do once or twice. So that is 90 seconds of entertainment.  The gigantic purple slide is something they will do a couple of times as well.  So not something that provides a tonne of entertainment. The one upside for Harmony is two flowriders so they may get a little more time on the wave.  Over all I give Navigator an edge.

I've done Roatan, Cozumel and Costa Maya enough so for me the Mexican Riviera holds more appeal since I haven't been there yet.  That may or may not be a factor for you.

I also can drive to LA port. I've tried to be unbiased but I know that bias clouds every review.  I have all my cruises booked through 2025 (see my signature below).  All I'm waiting for now is one for the fall of 2025.  It'll be Navigator (or possibly a different ship if rumors are true) out of LA for a 7 nighter when they are release the third week of Feb.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1