Experienced cruisers to design next NCL Ship

9 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Scary. But what about the weight of all of the stuff on the lower decks? The stuff you can't easily see like engines, generators, laundry machinery, refrigeration units, fuel tanks, pumps, stores, ballast tanks, etc?

Yes.  I always hope that stuff outweighs pools, racetracks, etc.!  They just keep building them higher and higher.

13 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I'm not a very trusting person and my husband is very keen to sail on the Icon of the Seas.  I've talked him into waiting at least six months to make sure it can survive rough seas.  Just looking at all that weight on the top decks makes me wonder when the pursuit of profit will result in a disaster. 

I'm with you! And your husband! Once prices settle down on Icon, I really want our first Royal Caribbean cruise to be on this ship. It's so whimsical looking to me! Look at this thread, apparently I'm a dreamer so it makes sense I'd appreciate the whimsical.

But, I also look at that ship, and how far out the top part extends over the "chassis." Yikes! It looks like it should just flop right over. But hey, I'm not one of those fancy pants maritime engineers. Since I'm waiting for a price reduction of about 95% on Icon, I suppose I'll be waiting awhile to sail it. Maybe by then I'll trust it to float upright. 

I wonder if there's an over/under in Vegas on Icon surviving a storm. 🤡

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm with you! And your husband! Once prices settle down on Icon, I really want our first Royal Caribbean cruise to be on this ship. It's so whimsical looking to me! Look at this thread, apparently I'm a dreamer so it makes sense I'd appreciate the whimsical.

But, I also look at that ship, and how far out the top part extends over the "chassis." Yikes! It looks like it should just flop right over. But hey, I'm not one of those fancy pants maritime engineers. Since I'm waiting for a price reduction of about 95% on Icon, I suppose I'll be waiting awhile to sail it. Maybe by then I'll trust it to float upright. 

I wonder if there's an over/under in Vegas on Icon surviving a storm. 🤡

I think you'd be surprised at just how far the top part can extend over the chassis. Heck, you could even build an entire structure on only one side and STILL maintain level and balance.

Those fancy pants maritime engineers know far more than they are given credit for on these forums.

576acaf452bcd05c658cad4e.jpg.7e3cce013a118af5fdcd5908a224c7b6.jpg

Of course, they don't have a pool, or a place for loungers, but they do have once heck of an airport.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

No, that's what you get when experienced engineers are ignored.

"The order to sail was the result of a combination of factors. The king, who was leading the army in Poland at the time of her maiden voyage, was impatient to see her take up her station as flagship of the reserve squadron at Älvsnabben in the Stockholm Archipelago. At the same time the king's subordinates lacked the political courage to openly discuss the ship's problems or to have the maiden voyage postponed." - Wikipedia.

IOW, this disaster should be blamed on  the politicians, not on the engineers.  Very much like Challenger where the engineers were overruled by management.

But didn't the engineers design the ship in the first place?

38 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But didn't the engineers design the ship in the first place?

Sure, but the ship the engineers designed was not the one that the opinionated folks had built.

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

But, I also look at that ship, and how far out the top part extends over the "chassis." Yikes! It looks like it should just flop right over.

Yup, it sure looks like something you and I would get together and design after a few drinks. 

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I think you'd be surprised at just how far the top part can extend over the chassis. Heck, you could even build an entire structure on only one side and STILL maintain level and balance.

Those fancy pants maritime engineers know far more than they are given credit for on these forums.

576acaf452bcd05c658cad4e.jpg.7e3cce013a118af5fdcd5908a224c7b6.jpg

Of course, they don't have a pool, or a place for loungers, but they do have once heck of an airport.

Aye, but perception is everything. 

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yup, it sure looks like something you and I would get together and design after a few drinks. 

I'm looking forward to it!! 

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm looking forward to it!! 

The ChiefMate was very firm that nobody else is invited to drink all the liquor.  He did admit he is being a boring old man though.

Not a bad idea to put an airport on the cruise ship.  No more overpriced transfers, haha.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Haha 2

Here's another thought on my cruise ship which isn't really outside the realm of reality.

A virtual reality area where one can go to experience the weather. We always talk about it. Maybe Norwegian could put in giant screens where you're surrounded by scary Windy app colors, have a seat to experience what the waves are really doing (I wish you felt the waves more on cruise ships - among the minority, I do admit), or just plug in a place and be transported to the screens.

There could be video feeds from under the water line showing us what the view from the keel, the azipods, etc. A mounted 360 cam at the very top of the ship showing the ship/view would be cool too.

Now that I've written this, it sounds kind of...ok...really, lame. Can anyone help me make this actually be appealing? I still think it would be cool, but can't quite describe it.

Gotta say, @ontheweb and @Travelling2Some I do like the thought of keeping them thar pirates at bay! Red Sea or wherever they may be spotted! Land hoe!

I would like a feature on the app that tells me when my room is ready every day, since it is no longer consistent. Tired of going to check just to find that my room hasn't been touched. Not insisting that my room be ready before noon, just would like to know if I can go take that nap, or shower etc. Yes, I know I can put on the Do Not Disturb sign, but then I won't receive my clean laundry or unexpected treats...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Portia! said:

I would like a feature on the app that tells me when my room is ready every day, since it is no longer consistent. Tired of going to check just to find that my room hasn't been touched. Not insisting that my room be ready before noon, just would like to know if I can go take that nap, or shower etc. Yes, I know I can put on the Do Not Disturb sign, but then I won't receive my clean laundry or unexpected treats...

Yesssssss! What a wonderful suggestion! And so totally within the realm of possibility. While we're at it/ could we please get those MDR menus posted in the app NCL!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Portia! said:

This is another totally doable idea.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Only if they have cool designs like this one on Old Ironsides!

20231105_100846(1).thumb.jpg.16fcb8b740ff13fe4a78a7048a8fbbb7.jpg

An entire row of these down the side Maybe it's my inner redneck coming out but I think we would have the baddest ship afloat! Of course, I'm sure the engineers would have something to say about the weight of these beauties. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yesssssss! What a wonderful suggestion! And so totally within the realm of possibility. While we're at it/ could we please get those MDR menus posted in the app NCL!

Yes and yes.  One of the (few) things I dislike about cruising is a lack of information that should be readily available, especially these days.  Sometimes it seems like the passengers are the last to know!  Some of us are planners and this is irritating.  It would be nice to know which nights the MDR will be serving certain favorite dishes so I don't book a specialty restaurant that night.  Would also be nice to know which nights the major theater productions will be shown and a what time.  This should not be so difficult to find out.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yes and yes.  One of the (few) things I dislike about cruising is a lack of information that should be readily available, especially these days.  Sometimes it seems like the passengers are the last to know!  Some of us are planners and this is irritating.  It would be nice to know which nights the MDR will be serving certain favorite dishes so I don't book a specialty restaurant that night.  Would also be nice to know which nights the major theater productions will be shown and a what time.  This should not be so difficult to find out.

I understand the master chef can select menus from, IIRC, 17 different menus.  How do you propose posting those menus in the app when they can change cruise to cruise?

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I understand the master chef can select menus from, IIRC, 17 different menus.  How do you propose posting those menus in the app when they can change cruise to cruise?

Just wishing.  It's not really my job to figure it out.  I feel pretty sure they could if they wanted to though.

1 minute ago, Travelling2Some said:

Just wishing.  It's not really my job to figure it out.  I feel pretty sure they could if they wanted to though.

Not that easy.  Essentially, you're asking NCL to post weeks in advance the menu will be served on a specific night in the MDR.  I say weeks in advance because you want to be able to plan when to schedule entertainment, specialty dinning, etc.  The chefs have multiple menus to choose from to tailor their servings to local conditions, what foods are available, etc. What you're asking for isn't as simple as it seems.

BTW, can you imagine the complaints here on CC when the ship deviates from the menu that was posted weeks in advance?  "I planned my whole week around having xxx in the mdr on the third night of the cruise and they had   yyy instead.  I demand consideration."

35 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not that easy.  Essentially, you're asking NCL to post weeks in advance the menu will be served on a specific night in the MDR.  I say weeks in advance because you want to be able to plan when to schedule entertainment, specialty dinning, etc.  The chefs have multiple menus to choose from to tailor their servings to local conditions, what foods are available, etc. What you're asking for isn't as simple as it seems.

BTW, can you imagine the complaints here on CC when the ship deviates from the menu that was posted weeks in advance?  "I planned my whole week around having xxx in the mdr on the third night of the cruise and they had   yyy instead.  I demand consideration."

Look to other cruise lines. It can, and is, done. I believe RCL or Celebrity even does it weeks in advance. NCL is lazy. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Look to other cruise lines. It can, and is, done. I believe RCL or Celebrity even does it weeks in advance. NCL is lazy. 

NCL is not lazy, for business reasons they choose not to post menus. Sorry that it bothers the entitled few.

All good points and fair enough.  But I have a large family and I can tell you what we're having for dinner a week in advance.  I don't think it's simple

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

True that the other lines do a better job with this.  NCL knows the information, they just don't communicate it.  This is just a minor annoyance, not that big of a deal.  Cruising does have some downsides compared to land trips (and vice versa!). It's not a deal breaker BUT I like advance information (a lot).  I spend a great deal of time making our vacations absolutely smooth and perfect. I enjoy doing that as a bit of a "gift" to my husband, who does not get involved in the planning at all.