Is there a formal night on short sailings?

We’re doing our first cruise next week on Allure. I booked a short cruise because we aren’t sure we’ll like it. Our kids want to dress up but I don’t think there is a formal night for such a short (3 nights) sailing. Would we be the only people dressed up if we decided to?

The question is what do your kids consider dressing up. My idea of dressing is putting on a nice dress and doing my makeup for dinner and I truly enjoy doing that even on non formal nights. Wearing a floor length gown or tux should be reserved for formal nights however.

We did a 3 night on Allure just after the first of the year.   Although the app listed one night as formal initially, they changed it to casual.

Some people did dress up a little, but I think it was just to have some photos taken.  A small minority on this cruise. 

10 hours ago, Emmey said:

Would we be the only people dressed up if we decided to?

Some do, some don't. In recent years it seems to have all been going more casual. I don't even take a tie along anymore, let alone a sport coat. I think that many of those who enjoy dressing up on formal nights probably also plan to get pictures taken. Thankfully it seems the photographers don't come around like they used to during dinner, etc. Not sure but I believe you have to schedule a time if you want photos taken (?) or else show up at a designated location. Haven't been with RCL for awhile though so I may be wrong.

Edited by OnTheJourney

We just got off Allure yesterday. 3 night cruise, no formal night. I was surprised to see so many people dressed as if there was. Anything seemed to go and that included dressing up. 
Have fun!!

• Like 1

Just off the Freedom 3 night cruise and night 2 was "Dress to Impress".  There were many people in long dresses, whole families dressed up.  Take advantage of it and get some pictures taken.  It's fun.  

On 1/19/2024 at 9:53 AM, gail-s said:

get some pictures taken.

Already have enough cruise pictures to last us! Most turn out crappy anyway and hit the recycling bin 😆  Some people are far more photogenic than others. We're not among the group that generally is. If our status offers a free pic, then we'll usually take one along. Now that they don't come around to the tables much anymore (is that even still done?) and don't even seem to have the usual stations set up around the ship, we don't bother. How does it work now on RCL?  Must you schedule a time to get pictures taken?

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 1/19/2024 at 9:53 AM, gail-s said:

"Dress to Impress"

No thanks...but each to his / her own!  Viking spoiled me...none of those special dress code evenings. Every evening is 'smart casual' which generally winds up being more casual than smart. Works for me! Used to drag along a sport coat and tie on cruises. Done with that.

Edited by OnTheJourney

20 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Already have enough cruise pictures to last us! Most turn out crappy anyway and hit the recycling bin 😆  Some people are far more photogenic than others. We're not among the group that generally is. If our status offers a free pic, then we'll usually take one along. Now that they don't come around to the tables much anymore (is that even still done?) and don't even seem to have the usual stations set up around the ship, we don't bother. How does it work now on RCL?  Must you schedule a time to get pictures taken?

Photographs: I have this question also. How does this work on Royal Caribbean? Are the photographers on deck at sailaway for casual pictures? Do they have stations set up where you can pop in as you walk by if the line isn't long? Or do you have to make studio appointments? 

I am happy they don't take pictures at the dinner tables. That was not my favorite. Thanks for any info!

Hopefully there is a formal night on our upcoming 3 night cruise and thank you all for sharing your experiences. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, moonjelly said:

I am happy they don't take pictures at the dinner tables

Yeah, that was fun at times, but it got old. Let me eat in peace without coming around to get my picture.

20 hours ago, moonjelly said:

Hopefully there is a formal night on our upcoming 3 night cruise

For my part they could get rid of 'em entirely. As someone else said, if people want to dress up and get a pic taken, fine. Can do it anytime, especially depending on how it works now.