Silver Moon - 11th Feb Mumbai to Singapore

Downunder55

Thought it would be worth starting a new thread for the next exciting installment for the Silver Moon.

It will be interesting to see any movements in the next 24 hours, could give some direction.

The post by Charli001 suggesting that he was told the Moon could arrive in Mumbai around 14th Feb ....give some hope ....... The 14th could make sense based on calcs from a past post.

While the Mumbai - Singapore has a nominated departure of 11th Feb, it is actually planned to depart Mumbai at 14:00 on the 12th, so arrival on the 14th might only have minimal overall impact with a little bit of trimming along the way.

• Like 1

Nothing definitive yet  ....Just spoke to Silversea's and based on an internal email they had received last evening, the planners are still working on the issue, with the possibility the cruise could be shortened or changed.

Suggested we contact our agent on Friday for any update.

I believe that Silver Moon may head straight to Colombo and the cruise will start there.  Colombo-Singapore starting on the 17th of Feb is now listed for sale-not sure it was before.  Also Colombo would be a much shorter distance for the Moon to sail to.  

45 minutes ago, texanaust said:

I believe that Silver Moon may head straight to Colombo and the cruise will start there.  Colombo-Singapore starting on the 17th of Feb is now listed for sale-not sure it was before.  Also Colombo would be a much shorter distance for the Moon to sail to.  

This gets more interesting .... must only be selling that new option in limited markets and it not coming up on the website in Aust.

So then Silverseas would either have to refund all the passengers joining in Mumbai or teleport some 596 pax from Mumbai to Columbo ?

The difference in distance is probably around 300nm or 18 hours sailing.

2 minutes ago, Downunder55 said:

The difference in distance is probably around 300nm or 18 hours sailing.

Actually the distance is 889nm and 2 days 4 hours sailing at 17knots so a significant time savings to start from Colombo.  Of course I am just speculating based on this new cruise option.

17 minutes ago, texanaust said:

Actually the distance is 889nm and 2 days 4 hours sailing at 17knots so a significant time savings to start from Colombo.  Of course I am just speculating based on this new cruise option.

Yes, if you are including the Mumbai to Columbo leg. ... I was looking at the difference in distance from the bottom of Africa.

10 hours ago, Downunder55 said:

This gets more interesting .... must only be selling that new option in limited markets and it not coming up on the website in Aust.  So then Silverseas would either have to refund all the passengers joining in Mumbai or teleport some 596 pax from Mumbai to Columbo ?   The difference in distance is probably around 300nm or 18 hours sailing.

We are booked on the Silver Moon starting Feb. 11 from Mumbai.  Since mid-October on the "Silver Moon: Late Dec., Jan. Sailing Challenges/Questions??" thread on this SS board, I have been posting as to these various questions.  Earlier, I had suggested and speculated that in late December, Silversea should have started to adjust schedules and commence the circumnavigation of Africa in order to reach either the Dubai, etc., cruises or to make the India/SE Asia sailings work.  

In fairness, I originally thought that the Suez Canal would be the major, most at-risk navigation point.  But, then it ends up being the southern part of the Red Sea with the Yemen rebels and needing to sail into the Gulf of Aden.  

Now, Silversea must figure out its "logistics" for getting down to Cape Town and then going to India or Sri Lanka.  From the website sea-distances.org, the Cape Town to Mumbai journey is 4599 nautical miles, requiring 10 days 16 hours if using a sailing speed of 18 knots per hour.  By contrast, at the same speed, going to the capital of Sri Lanka is 4362 nautical miles, taking 10 days 2 hours.

Going to Columbo would save 16 hours, but would add huge additional costs to Silversea as roughly 600 passengers would need to spend thousands of more dollars for flights, hotels, etc., in getting from Mumbai down to Sri Lanka.  

For the Silver Moon, 17 knots is the normal "service speed" with 21 knots as its highest speed.  I figured as using 18 knots speed for my calculations.  A higher ship speed burns more fuel, but it could be worth it in order to lessen the additional costs in shifting the Mumbai sail-away time too much from Feb. 12.  

Look forward to learning more, but agree that it might not be till Friday that Silversea is able to finalize all of these calculations and re-supply details.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 248,212 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Silver Moon.  Just spoken to my Silversea representative at 17.50 17/01/24  (I am in the uk), an american silver sea call centre. The cruise from Mumbai is due to  go ahead as scheduled. Btw the vessel has reached Valletta

1 hour ago, Downunder55 said:

Appreciate this great link.  Below is a quick screen shot to share with others who do not want to take the time to click on this site.  Will check back as to how soon the Silver Moon will be departing and heading westbound to the Atlantic Ocean.  Agree with fdnycruiser as to it being sad that passengers will not be along to enjoy this unique "adventure" to Africa and India.  

image.thumb.png.fd8f21fbe81288cfcab89039efed1e73.png

Cruise ships with guests are currently prohibited from transiting through the Bab al-Mandab Strait at end of Red Sea.  Now that Silver Moon has offloaded all of her passengers, she can sail back through Suez Canal and the Red Sea and on to Mumbai.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Cruise ships with guests are currently prohibited from transiting through the Bab al-Mandab Strait at end of Red Sea.  Now that Silver Moon has offloaded all of her passengers, she can sail back through Suez Canal and the Red Sea and on to Mumbai.

Interesting ..... would like to be a 'fly on the wall' during the discussion with their insurance company on that idea

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Downunder55 said:

Interesting ..... would like to be a 'fly on the wall' during the discussion with their insurance company on that idea

Agree 100% with the wisdom by Downunder55.  What did the Silver Moon cost to build and equip?  $400-500 million?  More?  Less?  No Royal Caribbean CFO would allow that kind of risk to happen for one of their ships.  And, there would still be a significant number crew members on the ship.  No passengers, but these types of human risks would hard to image.  Love to read the back-up info that cruise ships without passengers would be OK under these current, war-like conditions.  

• Like 1

I was wrong, Silver Moon is en route Cape Town.  No way does the math work for 11 February embarkation in Mumbai so will be interesting when Silversea admits to schedule change. 

7 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I was wrong, Silver Moon is en route Cape Town.  No way does the math work for 11 February embarkation in Mumbai so will be interesting when Silversea admits to schedule change. 

Appreciate this update from Marc.  I just saw and posted on the earlier thread that on the www.cruisemapper.com website that the Silver Moon is still, now in Malta.  They have, however, listed that this ship's next destination is Cape Town and due there February 2 at 10 am.  Progress?  Here is the graphic from this website: 

image.thumb.png.5c631ed20530440e469d33f22d35f423.png

Tonight's key question: From my earlier checking, to do Cape Town to Mumbai, it means sailing 4599 nautical miles.  That would require 10 days 16 hours to accomplish at 18 knots speed as per sea-distances.org. How will that work out for reaching Mumbai on February 11 or 12?   Can they speed up the schedule for arriving in Cape Town?  Or, sail at a higher speed than 18 knots?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

8 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate this update from Marc.  I just saw and posted on the earlier thread that on the www.cruisemapper.com website that the Silver Moon is still, now in Malta.  They have, however, listed that this ship's next destination is Cape Town and due there February 2 at 10 am.  Progress?  Here is the graphic from this website: 

image.thumb.png.5c631ed20530440e469d33f22d35f423.png

Tonight's key question: From my earlier checking, to do Cape Town to Mumbai, it means sailing 4599 nautical miles.  That would require 10 days 16 hours to accomplish at 18 knots speed as per sea-distances.org. How will that work out for reaching Mumbai on February 11 or 12?   Can they speed up the schedule for arriving in Cape Town?  Or, sail at a higher speed than 18 knots?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Or they head for Colombo and start the cruise there on the 17th like I speculated earlier.  Why would they start selling this new leg otherwise?  

Edited by texanaust

28 minutes ago, texanaust said:

Or they head for Colombo and start the cruise there on the 17th like I speculated earlier.  Why would they start selling this new leg otherwise?  

What would they do with the 600 pax joining in Mumbai ?

If they arrive in Cape Town Feb 2nd at 10am, give them a 5 hour turnaround

Based on 

image.thumb.png.d1af301771f5d4350c0c96fe7fa9a9db.png

That would have arrival in Mumbai around 9pm on the 13th ... a bit more than a day later than original sailing time.... travelling at the 17kts.... 

Edited by Downunder55

10 minutes ago, Downunder55 said:

What would they do with the 600 pax joining in Mumbai ?

They probably won't have 600 pax joining, especially when they revise the itinerary and some cancel.  Also, many are probably on DTD so those people will just get rerouted.  However, they could probably charter a jet for the remaining people. 

They are going to have to compensate people for the lost days anyway, not to mention hotel accommodation/food in Mumbai starting on the 11th.  

1 minute ago, texanaust said:

They are going to have to compensate people for the lost days anyway, not to mention hotel accommodation/food in Mumbai starting on the 11th.  

Wouldn't like to be a SS logistics planner at the moment .... they would be stressed to the max

5 hours ago, Downunder55 said:

The Silver Moon has departed for Cape Town

Great updating and visuals from our friend down under in Australia.  Yes, super agree as to your wise insight of "Wouldn't like to be a SS logistics planner at the moment .... they would be stressed to the max."

Am still of the view that after Cape Town, the Silver Moon will be heading to Mumbai.  The timing for WHEN this ship arrives in India is still a major, serious question.  With Mumbai, versus starting in Sri Lanka, it will be easier to arrange hotels and flights for those hundreds of paid-up Silver Moon passengers who might need to re-arrange schedules.  Just speculating and guessing??

Just completed yesterday doing our on-line India Visa "process" last night.  That's a whole another amazing journey of a "roller-coast" ride to detail later.