Silver Moon - 11th Feb Mumbai to Singapore

Downunder55

8 hours ago, Port Power said:

The cruise would be taken off the website because SS would not want anyone new to book it.  Until Silversea knows for sure what the next steep will be, better not to take further bookings.  Surely Moon will head to Mumbai, even if SS has to put all the passengers in a hotel for two nights and pay for meals?

Appreciate this above comment and follow-up for why the Silversea website is "blocked" currently for this Feb. 11-29 Mumbai to Singapore cruse.  

To my eye, YES, the Silver Moon still has much distance to cover enroute to Cape Town and India. But, the ship is making decent progress. The current speed is 18 knots per www.cruisemapper.com. At that speed, Feb. 11-14 is possible for reaching Mumbai. Reaching Cape Town at 6 am on Feb. 2 is still the ETA for there. Encouraging? Hopeful?

image.thumb.png.0242636c26216193820e4fbf8f085015.png

Still Simon & Garfunkel's "Sounds of Silence" from Silversea?  For us and others, one of the big challenges for Silversea is as to how they figure out what types of "compensation" or "adjustments" they offered to those of us booked up and fully paid.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 248,212 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 2

Received this today.

We hope this letter finds you well. Today, we are writing with important news regarding your upcoming voyage aboard Silver Moon. 

Due to unforeseen geopolitical situations that have constrained Silver Moon’s ability to navigate through the south Red Sea from its previous voyage, the ship had to reposition back to Europe through the Suez Canal and is now circumnavigating Africa in the lead-up to your voyage, regrettably delaying arrival in Mumbai until 14 February 2024.

In light of this, we have arranged 3-night luxury hotel accommodations, reflective of Silversea standards, and enriching and immersive excursions in Mumbai for you to enjoy with embarkation on Silver Moon, now scheduled for 9 a.m., 14 February. Our Destination Management team will communicate in the next few days, update your booking with hotel details, and follow up separately closer to your arrival date with the exciting selection of destination experiences that will be made available to you during your stay in Mumbai. All transfers will be adjusted accordingly. Silversea will provide meals during your stay in Mumbai and will have representatives available to assist you with any needs. 

Please know that our team of experts has worked diligently to adapt your voyage’s itinerary to ensure that virtually all destinations and standout experiences are retained in the new itinerary, with the exception of Trincomalee, Sri Lanka. For your ease of reference, the original and revised itineraries are shared below:
For those guests with independent air and pre-cruise arrangements, you will receive a communication shortly outlining your accommodations in Mumbai for 3-nights beginning on 11 Februaryand specific instructions for aligning with our teams on the ground.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact your travel advisor or cruise consultant.

Thank you for your kind attention and understanding. We eagerly await your arrival in Mumbai and look forward to hosting you aboard Silver Moon for an enriching and memorable cruise. 

Sincerely,

Silversea

I’m already booked in a hotel for three nights before the original embarkation day. I’ve so much to see from a culinary perspective, now I’ve even more time. SS seemingly have arranged excursions not sure what but it will be interesting to see what unfolds. 
Can’t wait, never been on a cruise before but it’s been a nervy ride even before stepping on board.

1 hour ago, Downunder55 said:

Considering the circumstances I think SS have done a sensational job in adjusting the schedule where we only miss out on Trincomalee.

Agreed on both above points.  Not a terrible loss to be skipping Trincomalee, plus so far it seems very good as to how Silversea is planning and what is being offered for the three days in Mumbai.  

In the Silversea letter, they commit: "We have arranged 3-night luxury hotel accommodations, reflective of Silversea standards, and enriching and immersive excursions in Mumbai for you to enjoy."

Sounds great, so far. Plus, also meals are to be provided by Silversea. Am I assuming that the alcoholic beverages are to be included, too?

The specifics and "details" make a difference!!

Clearly for 500-600 passengers, scheduled at this late date when Mumbai is already super busy being at the peak of their "wedding season", we all will not be in just one hotel such as the Oberoi or Taj.

As anyone gains added details, please share here.

AND, having tracked the distances and cruise speeds, the Silver Moon being there in Mumbai on the early morning of Feb. 14 seems very probable and possible.

It's great to have the "Sounds of Silence" come back from the dead-zone with highly positive and very hopeful updating.  

• Like 2

The email reads very much as I expected.  For circumstances beyond their control, Silversea has done a good job.  Along with other cruise lines, they will have lost a lot of money having to relocate the ship, and without paying passengers.  Probably claiming on their insurance now!

1 hour ago, silkismom said:

I sure hope at least one person does a "live from" with all the details as it progresses.

Interesting suggestion from our friend in Colorado.  Should I take my camera along for this adventure?  Would there be anything of value and interest to capture in photographs while exploring India, etc.?  

Great, smart idea!!!  Will try to take a few pix and share on these boards.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Port Power said:

Probably claiming on their insurance now!

Most cruise lines do not have insurance for such eventualities as it is generally considered cheaper to "self insure"

7 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Would there be anything of value and interest to capture in photographs while exploring India,

Yes - India is a fascinating, colourful and interesting country with much to record on film (OK digitally then)

8 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Interesting suggestion from our friend in Colorado.  Should I take my camera along for this adventure?  Would there be anything of value and interest to capture in photographs while exploring India, etc.?  

Great, smart idea!!!  Will try to take a few pix and share on these boards.  

Leave your camera at home, Terry. Nothing to see in India apart from a few old palaces and temples, something called the Targe Marharl, an old railway station in Bombay and people living on the street surrounded by monkeys, cattle and garbage.  😉

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Port Power said:

The email reads very much as I expected.  For circumstances beyond their control, Silversea has done a good job.  Along with other cruise lines, they will have lost a lot of money having to relocate the ship, and without paying passengers.  Probably claiming on their insurance now!

My heart bleeds for a large multi national corporation which wouldn't blink to screw over their customers given a chance.  And to be sure they have made arrangements that suit their pockets and not for the benefit of the customer.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Leave your camera at home, Terry. Nothing to see in India apart from a few old palaces and temples, something called the Targe Marharl, an old railway station in Bombay and people living on the street surrounded by monkeys, cattle and garbage.  😉

Yes, great fun by Fletcher and me as to what an amazing "visual feast" will be India.  

Nothing this am for the hotel, etc., on our MySilversea website.

But did check on the ship's current position. Looks as if the Silver Moon has stopped . . . to get a "drink". In the port of Dakar, Senegal, along the western coast of Africa. See map/graphic below. Will look more at Trident Hotel. As I posted earlier, for such a large group at such a late booking date for three nights during their busy wedding, etc., season in Mumbai, there will have to be several hotels used by Silversea.

From www.cruisemapper.com:

image.thumb.png.b6da622e1b1a7fb3257c70e10748a873.png

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1

Just looked at the Trident hotel. Unsurprisingly it is booked out on the 12th-15th Feb. Yes already booked out on 14/2. however from 15-18/2 prices are $US272 basic room and $US363 for a club room. And booking a whole lot of rooms SS would have got them cheaper than that.

Seems a lot less than what was paid for the 3 missed nights on the Moon.

35 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Just looked at the Trident hotel. Unsurprisingly it is booked out on the 12th-15th Feb. Yes already booked out on 14/2. however from 15-18/2 prices are $US272 basic room and $US363 for a club room. And booking a whole lot of rooms SS would have got them cheaper than that.  Seems a lot less than what was paid for the 3 missed nights on the Moon.

YES, Dr. Ron, there are many very good questions as to if and how Silversea will fulfill its promises for "luxury" to their high standards for our three days in Mumbai.  Will it be super luxury like on the ship with a balcony and butler?  Probably not.  But, maybe, hopefully, they will pile on some extra "surprises" to compensate for these changes?

As shown below from Google Maps, the Trident and Oberoi hotels are right next to each other and are across the street from "Sunset Point".  If these two hotels are used by Silversea, it does make the logistics easier and allows the cruise's local staff to be closer together, better coordinated, etc.  

Look forward to learning more details and specifics, especially for what "meals" means and how well are the quality and sizes of groups on a bus for the offered tours.  In their email yesterday, they promised: "enriching and immersive excursions in Mumbai."  Those generalities sound good and promising, but I am of the "Trust, but Verify" mentality.  Want specifics and hope they do not do the "bait and switch" game of extra charges to get the really good tours that make a difference for gaining the "immersive" experience we desire.  

image.thumb.png.cca52dc03c2e867f46feea940ead4721.png

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 110,467 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Yes, great fun by Fletcher and me as to what an amazing "visual feast" will be India.  

Nothing this am for the hotel, etc., on our MySilversea website.

But did check on the ship's current position. Looks as if the Silver Moon has stopped . . . to get a "drink". In the port of Dakar, Senegal, along the western coast of Africa. See map/graphic below. Will look more at Trident Hotel. As I posted earlier, for such a large group at such a late booking date for three nights during their busy wedding, etc., season in Mumbai, there will have to be several hotels used by Silversea.

From www.cruisemapper.com:

image.thumb.png.b6da622e1b1a7fb3257c70e10748a873.png

Well, well, I'm in Dakar in a couple of months on the Silver Wind.  

8 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Well, well, I'm in Dakar in a couple of months on the Silver Wind.  

Is there that much interesting, scenic and historic in Dakar to enjoy and experience?  Don't I remember you doing a few years back a cruise down that western coast of Africa?

In looking at the MySilversea website this morning certain of our scheduled tours have been wiped out.  The starting date for our sail-away has not been updated.  Much is fluid and in-flux.  

In researching a little more, the general reading is that the Trident Hotel does not get quite as high of ratings as the next-door Oberoi.  BUT, much will depend for us as to how Silversea manages the “extras” and details with these two and any other hotels used/provided in Mumbai.  From Wikipedia, here is more about the Trident Nariman Point that is owned and operated by the Trident Hotels division of the Oberoi Group.  The Trident has 35 floors and when completed in 1973, it was the tallest building in South Asia, holding that titlt until 1980.  The hotel opened in 1973 as the Oberoi-Sheraton Hotel. In 2004, it became the Hilton Towers Mumbai.  That Hilton marketing/management connection ended in 2008.  On the night of November 26, 2008, a series of terrorist attacks in Mumbai was launched, including an attack on this hotel. Two terrorists entered the hotel and fired on guests. They took over 143 people hostage and killed at least 32 people during the ensuing 3-day siege.  The National Security Guard two days later shot the terrorists and ended the crisis at the hotel.  

From visuals, the views of Marine Drive and the Mumbai skyline from this hotel can be very interesting.  For what it’s worth, TripAdvisor ranks this Trident as #34 of 701 hotels in Mumbai.  They give it a 4.5 rating as “excellent”.  TA ranks the Oberoi as #5 of 701 hotels in Mumbai and gives it a 5.0 “excellent” rating.  In recent comments by those staying there, both hotels gain very high reviews and many positives.  Both are very close to a number of key attractions including various dining options and the Gateway of India (0.9 miles away).

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 73,926 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

50 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Is there that much interesting, scenic and historic in Dakar to enjoy and experience?  Don't I remember you doing a few years back a cruise down that western coast of Africa?

You have an excellent memory Terry.  Yes, we did a Cloud trip in West Africa from Ghana to Cape Town.  This Wind trip starts in Manaus and, for us, ends in Lisbon.  The big draw for me is the Bijagos Islands in Guinea-Bissau.  https://www.silversea.com/destinations/south-america-cruise/manaus-to-lisbon-wi240414c35.html

I got to know Bombay/Mumbai quite well back in the 1980s when I stayed for two weeks at the Taj during the film festival.  A thrilling city - amazing Victorian architecture and the usual Indian Technicolor riot of riches and squalor.  Much more developed nowadays of course.  The Elephanta Caves, a short ferry hop, is a nice excursion with a great view of the Gateway of India and the Taj Hotel.  

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

You have an excellent memory Terry.  Yes, we did a Cloud trip in West Africa from Ghana to Cape Town.  The big draw for me is the Bijagos Islands in Guinea-Bissau.  I got to know Bombay/Mumbai quite well back in the 1980s when I stayed for two weeks at the Taj during the film festival.  A thrilling city - amazing Victorian architecture and the usual Indian Technicolor riot of riches and squalor.  Much more developed nowadays of course.  The Elephanta Caves, a short ferry hop, is a nice excursion with a great view of the Gateway of India and the Taj Hotel.  

Great background details from super savvy Fletcher as to Bombay/Mumbai.  Will do a little "copy and paste" to share with others.  Nice background previewing!!

Just checked www.cruisemapper.com and the Silver Moon has re-fueled and is now making good progress . . . at 18 knots . . . going down the western Africa coast. Still scheduled to be in Cape Town Feb. 2 at 6 am. Things looking decent for Mumbai on Feb. 14.  Looks like the Silver Moon is now approaching Fletcher's loved Bijagos Islands in Guinea-Bissau.  Right?

image.thumb.png.80534bc789021cfc9a60e11a7b25cbf9.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

In looking at the MySilversea website this morning certain of our scheduled tours have been wiped out.  The starting date for our sail-away has not been updated.  Much is fluid and in-flux.  

Yes, status still the same .... had a few I really wanted to do .... espec in Sri Lanka

Waiting to see what SS are doing for excursions both for Mumbai and the rest of the cruise. I have emailed my SS rep as per the "official" notification and haven't had a curtsey of a reply. All my tours wiped out on Mysilversea. I wonder how long will we have to wait.  

I’m still waiting to see what ss doing about Mumbai to Athens March 20

right through the red sea

radio silence 

I’m disgusted. 
no way it’s a go
cancel the cruise and let me deal with my flights and private tours 

luckily I will be in India for 10 days pre cruise. I just want to extend my land trip and change flight home. Cannot do a thing 

ss really is treating its loyal customers poorly

3 hours ago, southend said:

Waiting to see what SS are doing for excursions both for Mumbai and the rest of the cruise. I have emailed my SS rep as per the "official" notification and haven't had a curtsey of a reply. All my tours wiped out on Mysilversea. I wonder how long will we have to wait.  

YES, as of this morning here in the U.S., our MySilversea is still showing "17 days" till our cruise starts in Mumbai and not allowing us to book and update excursions.  Nothing showing for hotels and/or any other details as to the offerings for these three days of promised Silversea "luxury" in Mumbai.  

Assume that Silversea is still playing "catch up" to finalize many details, options.  But, how long should we wait and be patient to learn the details and have the SS system up and back working properly?