Silver Moon - 11th Feb Mumbai to Singapore

Downunder55

The route for the Silver moon can be found on Marinetraffic .com 

You can see the route to Capetown  if you play around with it ,sorry I'm not really tech savvy 

Edited by travelfan20

Silver Moon making 15 kts even though top speed is 21 kts; appears to me that fuel efficiency is more important to the Company than making the 11 February Mumbai departure.

So assuming Marine traffic.com estimate based on current speed ,Ship reaches Capetown February 2nd. 

According to www.Sea-distances .org the trip from Capetown to Mumbai is a distance 0f 4599 miles at and at a speed of 15knts it would take 12 days and 19 hours... So arriving in Mumbai.. my guess Feb 13 ?

They will need to speed up 😀

Edited by travelfan20
spelling :)

28 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Silver Moon making 15 kts even though top speed is 21 kts; appears to me that fuel efficiency is more important to the Company than making the 11 February Mumbai departure.

I don’t have any idea of speed to fuel efficiency but surely speed will be dictated by how big the tanks are and having enough fuel to get there.  They may have to travel at 15 to do this.  I am sure the bean counters will have worked out the difference in cost of fuel to the expense of going to Colombo for the start of the cruise and the airfares.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, travelfan20 said:

So assuming Marine traffic.com estimate based on current speed ,Ship reaches Capetown February 2nd.  According to www.Sea-distances .org the trip from Capetown to Mumbai is a distance 0f 4599 miles at and at a speed of 15knts it would take 12 days and 19 hours... So arriving in Mumbai.. my guess Feb 13 ?   They will need to speed up 😀

Still awaiting some "word" from the secretive Silversea as to their exact plans/promises for Mumbai, etc. 

As of this morning, per www.cruisemapper.com, the Silver Moon is now about half way between Malta and Gibraltar.  This website says this ship is traveling at a 17 knots speed and is still on their schedule to arrive in Cape Town at 10 am on Feb. 2.  Good enough to make Mumbai by Feb. 11?   Agree with our friend above as to the need to "speed up"!!

image.thumb.png.ccfa08d221b3f9e1de6a5d5a08c8c7f2.png

Our UK friend mancunian is correct to be concerned about the "bean-counters" at Silversea and Royal Caribbean being "penny-wise and pound-foolish" by trying to save money with current fuel consumption, but ultimately costing them much more with adjustments/anger from/for customers on the scheduled Feb. 11-29 cruise to Singapore.  

So far, it has been in the famed words of Simon & Garfunkel with their song, "Sounds of Silence", as to meaningful communications from Silversea.    

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio     

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

Of course the wild card in all of this, is what kind of weather and seas will the Moon encounter. Top speed would be based on perfect sea and weather conditions I’d assume. 

Appreciate this excellent comment and follow-up from our Florida/FDNY friend as to how sea conditions and weather can seriously impact sailing times.  Great point of importance!!  

Here's another factor that might play into the challenges for Silversea:  There were probably a certain number scheduled on the Feb. 11-29 sailing who have been bumped off of the previous sailing from the Middle East to Mumbai.  Will those earlier, planned passengers scrub totally or be happy to adjust for flying into Mumbai to join the Silver Moon there? 

From the Washington Post this morning, they had this headline: Houthis target U.S.-owned tanker with these highlights: “Iranian-backed Houthi militants targeted a tanker in the third such attack on commercial shipping in three days, U.S. Central Command said, as President Biden acknowledged that U.S. strikes have not deterred the Yemen-based group.”

Also for Silversea, they have ships later this winter and spring that are scheduled to sail west-bound from Asia up the Suez Canal and to the Med.  When does Silversea start to change those schedules and sailing plans?  The continued Houthis attacks should make clear that this danger-zone near Yemen is not being resolved ant time soon.  And, it might ramp up, UP to an even worst danger situation.  Right or wrong?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/01/19/israel-hamas-war-news-gaza-palestine-updates/

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 248,212 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

9 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Of course the wild card in all of this, is what kind of weather and seas will the Moon encounter. Top speed would be based on perfect sea and weather conditions I’d assume. 

Interesting thought ....of course all the ocean currents seem to be flowing against the Moon's travels, but as far as I can work out it is probably only about 0.5KT .... but would still have been better flowing the other way !

image.png.19ee50fc07d6605cd4d12665a60908be.png

Cruise no longer on website. I  also couldn't find any mention of a cruise leaving from Colombo; Singapore embarkation is first cruise.  Maybe I can't figure out the Silversea website.  

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Cruise no longer on website. I  also couldn't find any mention of a cruise leaving from Colombo; Singapore embarkation is first cruise.  Maybe I can't figure out the Silversea website.  

You're right. First Moon cruise is now from Singapore. 

Edited by Fletcher

16 hours ago, Downunder55 said:

all the ocean currents seem to be flowing against the Moon's travels, but as far as I can work out it is probably only about 0.5KT .... but would still have been better flowing the other way !

image.png.19ee50fc07d6605cd4d12665a60908be.png

Appreciate much this interesting chart as to the "flows" around Africa and follow-up from our Australia friend.  

As to Mr. Levin saying "Cruise no longer on website. I  also couldn't find any mention of a cruise leaving from Colombo; Singapore embarkation is first cruise.  Maybe I can't figure out the Silversea website.", YES, the Silversea website is acting "funky" now as to this Feb. 11-29 Silver Moon cruise.  On the My Silversea connection, all of our day-by-day bookings for tours, dining, etc., are still all there, but it will not allow booking any new excursions.  New bookings on this cruise are now allowed as it is all booked up and/or wait-listed for all cabins.  Overall, the SS website is acting . . .  Strange?

But, maybe, hopefully, pure speculation, Silversea is now trying to figure out its plan for fine-tuning this cruise to Singapore, its starting date/location, etc.  

Need some Good News?  As the Silver Moon is now approaching Gibraltar and its speed is up to 18 knots.  My guess is that the Silver Moon could still reach India in the Feb. 11-14 time range.  If and If??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Moon at 16kts last I checked so certainly not in a hurry.  Colombo embarkation is now gone so I suspect she may be headed directly to Singapore after Cape Town...

I wonder if the same will be true on her return?  Singapore-Mumbai and Mumbai-Athens both cancelled for a slow empty sailing from Singapore to Athens?  

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

Moon at 16kts last I checked so certainly not in a hurry.  Colombo embarkation is now gone so I suspect she may be headed directly to Singapore after Cape Town... 

Not sure I agree with these thoughts.

The Moon is currently off Rabat with around 5129nm to go to Cape Town, that still likely gets them to Cape Town on the 2nd Feb.

Then Cape Town to Mumbai is around 4,724nm, which at 17kt is around 11.5 days, likely to get the Moon in Mumbai on 13th/14th.

They could make up 12 hours on the first day at sea (cruise day 3/4)

All is not yet lost in my opinion, just could be a day + late out of Mumbai

Forever the optimist

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Downunder55 said:

Not sure I agree with these thoughts.   The Moon is currently off Rabat with around 5129nm to go to Cape Town, that still likely gets them to Cape Town on the 2nd Feb.   Then Cape Town to Mumbai is around 4,724nm, which at 17kt is around 11.5 days, likely to get the Moon in Mumbai on 13th/14th.   They could make up 12 hours on the first day at sea (cruise day 3/4)   All is not yet lost in my opinion, just could be a day + late out of Mumbai.  Forever the optimist

My realistic views are with Downunder55.  Below is the chart for the current Silver Moon position off of the coast of Morocco.  Progress is  being made and the ship is heading in the right direction.  

Yes, I worry about the negative-twisted "Bean Counters" within Silversea, but there's lots of money to be made from this Mumbai-scheduled sailing that is sold-out for all of the top-end suites, etc., plus much added cash to be banked from the pre-cruise and mid-voyage special excursions, etc.  That positive yield from the Feb. 11-29 schedule helps cover much of the added fuel costs for cranking the sailing speed up above the 17 knot rate in order to make the planned timing schedule work.  

From www.cruisemapper.com, here is the current Silver Moon position off of the coast of northern Africa.: 

image.thumb.png.2102dca7863ee369dcfa41b1b807d342.png

• Like 1

Ship making good progress nearing the Canary  Islands. There is a published ship arrival schedule on the Mumbai port site that lists the Silver Moon docking  on the 14th February. Confident cruise will go ahead albeit with a later start and route amended to arrive at Singapore as per original programme. Question is what will be dropped. Still no word from Silversea.   File809.pdf (mumbaiport.gov.in)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, southend said:

Ship making good progress nearing the Canary  Islands. There is a published ship arrival schedule on the Mumbai port site that lists the Silver Moon docking  on the 14th February. Confident cruise will go ahead albeit with a later start and route amended to arrive at Singapore as per original programme. Question is what will be dropped. Still no word from Silversea.   File809.pdf (mumbaiport.gov.in)

Thankyou for finding this, looking like arriving at 7am and departing at 2pm ...

Now can start planning around this ..... thanks again

image.png.70e81554c9531d08e882167cbac5131f.png

A poster on another site has stated that they have been informed that SSea will be publish a formal communication regard Mumbai to Singapore cruise on Wednesday/Thursday. We wait and see. Mumbai port authority is still saying 14th Feb.  

Edited by southend

5 hours ago, Downunder55 said:

Looking better all the time .... just made up 4 hours.

YES!!  Double good news from both Downunder55 about the Cape Town arrival time being moved up and the southend item about Lisa on another site indicating that an official Silversea update will come on Wednesday/Thursday.  

The exact Mumbai arrival time might be either in question and slightly adjusted, but it seems much more likely that the India to Singapore cruise will be happening.  If SS trims out a day or two or three with the schedule, they need to make some timing adjustment, plus figure out what types of "compensation" they offered to those booked up and fully paid.  

On 1/20/2024 at 10:59 PM, mrlevin said:

The cruise would be taken off the website because SS would not want anyone new to book it.  Until Silversea knows for sure what the next steep will be, better not to take further bookings.  Surely Moon will head to Mumbai, even if SS has to put all the passengers in a hotel for two nights and pay for meals?

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 2