Cruise without Simply More???

Psoque

2 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Actually found the answer myself.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/assetlibrary/email/_emails/sales/ocapp_program_details.pdf

So not all travel agents have access to this program?

That I do not know. All I know is that our TA held 7 itineraries for 7 days before we decided. We chose the one based on our preference in November. When this topic came up on CC, I checked the 7 pages we had printed out. 3 had OCAPP, the other 4 (including the one we selected) did not. Not sure it would have changed our selection. The TA actually offered to change if we wanted to. As I said, we are "newbies", our first O cruise was in October, booked directly though O and we loved it. Not sure now if any similar cruise would have had the gratuities included. We selected based on the dates, and the itinerary.

• Thanks 1

To be more exact, the OCCAPP is provided to the various large Travel Agencies Consortiums and then downward to the Agencies comprising the Consortium. Oceania rotates the perks among the Consortiums, so no Agency gets the OCCAPP perks for every cruise. For highly popular cruises requiring no incentives to fill, Oceania rarely grants them to any Consortium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FeliciaLee said:

We bought two of these. On the first one it truly was with nothing included. The second one has SM and we have checked on Oceania's website to make sure of that. Both were bargains at well under $200 pp/pd.

Well done.

Which cruise was the first one please....ie: the one without any SM benefits attached ?

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Psoque said:

I see at least two online travel agencies selling a few Oceania itineraries with two options: 

-Cruise only

-Cruise + beverage package + internet

I cannot post their website for the obvious reason, but something funky is going on here.

So, to avoid TA IDs, can you give some examples...date, ship, price of lowest veranda cabin.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A slight correction to this . It’s “ up to $250/pp.”  the actual amount anyone receives depends upon the length of the cruise . 

I’m betting that’s correct. I just checked a sampling of my O cruises since pre-pandemic and, though I got $250 in lieu every time the TA covered the grats., the shortest cruise was only 3 weeks.  

4 hours ago, SATaxman said:

That I do not know. All I know is that our TA held 7 itineraries for 7 days before we decided. We chose the one based on our preference in November. When this topic came up on CC, I checked the 7 pages we had printed out. 3 had OCAPP, the other 4 (including the one we selected) did not. Not sure it would have changed our selection. The TA actually offered to change if we wanted to. As I said, we are "newbies", our first O cruise was in October, booked directly though O and we loved it. Not sure now if any similar cruise would have had the gratuities included. We selected based on the dates, and the itinerary.

Actually, as a first time O cruiser, the right TA might have had access to a 5% “new O cruise” fare discount. I got one on our first O cruise many many moons ago.

8 hours ago, Harters said:

As someone considering an onboard booking, I'd appreciate it if you could give an indication of the current incentive.

Good to read you're enjoying Vista. We have another couple of months to wait. 

Oceania introduced a new scheme not so long ago “Pre-Cruise Savings Programme” where you can book a new cruise within the 30 days prior to you next sailing. This gives you the same benefits as if you were booking on board.

At the moment the program offers this in the UK.

IMG_0275.thumb.jpeg.153e3bef601b6d6686b1fb397b6fa6ca.jpeg

However, just one word of caution. The OBC could be applied to either to the current cruise or the upcoming cruise that you are booking. I used a Future Cruise Certificate, £400 which acts as the deposit on the cruise you use the certificate to purchase, to purchase my January cruise. I asked for the OBC from this scheme to be applied to my January cruise but am being told that because I used a FCC, which already has an OBC attached to it, I can’t combine it with another.

I’m rather annoyed. I’m not asking for anything more or a discount just to used the OBC on my ‘current’ cruise. Anyway, my TA is disputing this with Oceania so we will see.

I guess my word of caution is more to do with the FCC’s. They seem to give you the same benefits as booking a cruise on board but in effect they aren’t combinable with any other offers. Not sure I would purchase one again.

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

Oceania introduced a new scheme not so long ago “Pre-Cruise Savings Programme” where you can book a new cruise within the 30 days prior to you next sailing. This gives you the same benefits as if you were booking on board.

At the moment the program offers this in the UK.

IMG_0275.thumb.jpeg.153e3bef601b6d6686b1fb397b6fa6ca.jpeg

However, just one word of caution. The OBC could be applied to either to the current cruise or the upcoming cruise that you are booking. I used a Future Cruise Certificate, £400 which acts as the deposit on the cruise you use the certificate to purchase, to purchase my January cruise. I asked for the OBC from this scheme to be applied to my January cruise but am being told that because I used a FCC, which already has an OBC attached to it, I can’t combine it with another.

I’m rather annoyed. I’m not asking for anything more or a discount just to used the OBC on my ‘current’ cruise. Anyway, my TA is disputing this with Oceania so we will see.

I guess my word of caution is more to do with the FCC’s. They seem to give you the same benefits as booking a cruise on board but in effect they aren’t combinable with any other offers. Not sure I would purchase one again.

Getting the Book Onboard deal within the 30 days prior to your upcoming cruise is nothing new. Over the years, I’ve used it a couple of times when new itineraries (in which I was extremely interested) were opened for booking just prior to an upcoming cruise and I had a particular cabin in mind. 
However, I can’t remember if I used a Future Cruise Certificate on any of those occasions.

That said, I do buy those FCCs on occasion if the current BoB bonus is substantial. And, although I haven’t run into the issue I think you’re citing (I.e., not being allowed to “double dip” the FCC purchase bonus SBC and then get a second BoB bonus SBC when you use it), I would understand O’s position: If you initially indicated you wanted the FCC to be applied to the next cruise along with award of the booking bonus SBC, why would O then give you a duplicate/second bonus SBC for a “new” booking when you already had the FCC bonus applied to that new booking. One future cruise booking (either with cash or FCC deposit) gets you only one booking bonus SBC.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I’ve been sailing with Oceania since 2015 and it seems newish to me. Maybe it was introduced later in the UK.

Anyway, you’re absolutely right! 

I think I just hadn’t realised that I had already had a BOB bonus. When I originally booked the cruise I just paid a cash deposit then a while later I realised I had a FCC so Oceania refunded my deposit and used the FCC as the deposit. It was over 12 months ago and my memory isn’t that good! At the end of the day it will be what it will be!

Incentive changed during the cruise. Depending on length of cruise there is a discount off published price.  It’s same as last year.  The OBC was $250 per booking. Last night that was changed to $100 per booking.  Spoke to loyalty hostess. Cruises are only sold with Simply More. You get a shore excursion amount.  It can only be used for excursions. Don’t use it, you lose it.  That makes it unattractive in places that I don’t do excursions.  If Oceania offered cruise only, we would book another Caribbean cruise for next winter.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Well done.

Which cruise was the first one please....ie: the one without any SM benefits attached ?

It was a Christmas cruise on Insignia. But as Basor pointed out, perhaps I was able to get a bare bones cruise due to the fact that Oceania hadn't rolled out SM across the board.

This was my review, if you are interested:

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, MaryNorCal said:

I recently saw a TA trying to fill a group booking they had made in 2022, for travel in 2025. Papeete to Honolulu. Included the old OLife, because contracted before the policy change.

I was thinking about the same.  I’m wondering these “cruise only” fares are old contracts before Simply More!!! entered our consciousness.

23 hours ago, Redtravel said:

When I read this thread, I contacted my TA. She said that Oceania cannot be booked without Simply More. Thought maybe I had missed a change in things.  We are on Vista now. Nice cruise. However, since we seldom drink and don’t do excursions in the Caribbean, we choose not to rebook as we have previously.  Add to that the price increases for same 10 night cruise in 2025 (50% more than this year), we are not rebooking.  Also, the onboard incentive isn’t as good as last time we booked onboard.  We are booked on a European cruise for spring 2024 with SM.  On that cruise we wanted excursions.  Next winter we will not be on Oceania.

There is no way 2025 rates are 50% higher.  Obviously there are specific outliers depending on market, cabin category, ship, etc. but I have found 2025 to be slightly higher than 2024.  In your case, I am assuming you are comparing a deeply discounted 2024 cruise vs. retail pricing in 2025.  Roll the dice, and you may get the same discount in 2025, but I don't think it's a fair comparison.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S4POPO said:

There is no way 2025 rates are 50% higher.  Obviously there are specific outliers depending on market, cabin category, ship, etc. but I have found 2025 to be slightly higher than 2024.  In your case, I am assuming you are comparing a deeply discounted 2024 cruise vs. retail pricing in 2025.  Roll the dice, and you may get the same discount in 2025, but I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I am comparing a 10 day October 2023 Marina Mediterranean Cruise to a September 2025 European Marina 12 day cruise. Same Suite. About 4% more.

Did you add in the additional cost for two additional days, probably about $400 per day depending on Category. 4% for a cruise a year later is probably a good inflation hedge, especially based on oil costs and issues in the Middle East. JMHO 😇👍🤞.

Mauibabes 

On 1/17/2024 at 10:16 AM, FeliciaLee said:

If Oceania truly is allowing this kind of opt-out, surely it won't last long!

This is sounding kinda not-all-right to me. Ethically.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Did you add in the additional cost for two additional days, probably about $400 per day depending on Category. 4% for a cruise a year later is probably a good inflation hedge, especially based on oil costs and issues in the Middle East. JMHO 😇👍🤞.

Mauibabes 

Absolutely.

Well not booking any further Oceania cruises because of Simply More.

Will look at other cruise lines and frankly moving more travel $ to land trips and a new SUV to drive all over North America.

I am not interested in mandatory payment for booze that my spouse and I do not use and Oceania excursions, not.

To each their own, but the Simply More is not acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, S4POPO said:

Comparing similar 10 night cruises to Eastern Caribbean on Vista.  Prices are both from the onboard loyalty rep. Last year, when we booked, there wasn’t any simply more. We booked onboard as cruise only.  When they started selling Simply More, I checked to see what the cost would be to add it onto our reservation.  I was told $600 pp. Since we seldom drink and weren’t interested in excursions, we kept our original booking.  We are on Vista now. Yesterday, we inquired what it would cost next winter for same category cabin.  For both of us, the increase was approx. $3000 more than what we paid for our present cruise. That would include Simply More.  So if you compare exact cruise with simply more, the increase would be about $1800 more.  Prices are up. Up too high for Vista. For some of the older ships, you may find better rates.  During the cruise we have had discussions with many people who like Oceania, but don’t like Simply More.  For older people who take meds and don’t drink, the added cost for Simply More is Simply Wrong.  On this cruise many people used scooters, wheelchairs, walkers, rollator, and canes. These people are excluded from most excursions because they have mobility restrictions.  Even on port days, there was always lots of people onboard.  We only got off in 2 ports. Some people never got off.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, S4POPO said:

Agree, you just have to do your homework and even look for deals. We did a 12 day Trieste to Athens in May, 2023 on Vista.  B1 for 5899. No sales as was new ship and prior to SM.  We used olife for House Beverage Package. We were willing to pay more with new ship and had air credits from pandemic that needed to be used and had two priors cancelled due to COVID.

Looking at similar cruises now for 2024 around same time of year on Vista.  11 day Trieste to Athens in B1 is 2899 with the New Years Sale!! Also a 10 day Istanbul to Trieste in B1 for 3549 with New Years Sale!  Finally, I see a 10 day Trieste to Istanbul in B1 for 4749 which is not under any sale. 

So in these examples prices are actually better..

Edited by EJL2023