Dessserts on Hal

Do you think the sweets need work? Not that I need any calories butI found the meal endings lacked a good finish. One night I asked for the crisp but they said they didn’t have any in the mdr. The palmiers are great in the Dutch cafe though. Why no pie?

They are revamping desserts.  I have had a few new items this week including the delicious cake rolls. They also have had a separate selection of regional recipes on this cruise every day in the lido. The cake bar of yesteryear is also now back.  Also there seem to be multiple sugar free options daily.  

I do think the MDR dessert menu is lackluster so I always choose fruit after an MDR meal and head to the lido for a sweet treat 

• Like 2

That’s good news. The food on board is very good. A few years ago I had a very good dessert with white chocolate and key lime. It was presented like a popsicle and it was delicious. Also used to love baba au rum , on another line, RCI. Used to gorge myself on them. Just as well tgey don’t have them

5 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

They have stepped it up on the Zuiderdam. 

But it’s on a Grand Voyage isn’t it?  Apples and oranges

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We were on the Nieuw Statadam last year.  It was Delicious.

I wasn’t thrilled on the Rotterdam nor the Koningsdam.  Mind you - unless a dessert really appeals I don’t bother.  I did find the ones on the Oosterdam nice in 2022.  Guess we will see on the Volendam and Oosterdam this year 😉 

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

For me, if there is not a dessert that appeals to me, there is always ice cream.  In 2021 and 2022, on Koningsdam, they had a couple of new desserts that were good.

For me, it’s the cheese plate 😉 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

For me, if there is not a dessert that appeals to me, there is always ice cream.  In 2021 and 2022, on Koningsdam, they had a couple of new desserts that were good.

I'm with you. Ice cream is my default if nothing appeals. Not a big fan of the fruit crisps and a lot of the cakes are dry.

• Like 2

Dessert for me on a cruise is something I look forward to as we don’t have them at home. I love the desserts on Princess and they always seem to have an option I like. Our recent  2 cruises on HAL on 2 different ships I skipped dessert half the time, and when I had it I didn't finish it. The fruit crisps especially much, much better on Princess.We remembered HAL desserts as not being very exiting and not much has changed in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I wasn’t thrilled on the Rotterdam nor the Koningsdam.  Mind you - unless a dessert really appeals I don’t bother.  I did find the ones on the Oosterdam nice in 2022.  Guess we will see on the Volendam and Oosterdam this year 😉 

That's how I felt on the K - skipped dessert several nights.

Overall, desserts are a miss on HAL.  My go to is also the cheese plate.  For a premium cruise line with fine dining options there is way too much reliance on ice-creams, sorbets and gelato.  

I normally do not do sweets, but on many cruises I can be “tempted”.   Note that I also am a GF person.  If nothing fits the bill, the cheese plate is the winner…

sadly, on our Zaandam trip, the only dessert that was tempting was the crème brûlée in PG… which is normally one of my go-to options…it was only “meh” at best.

can honestly say that the options do need to be stepped up a notch or so…

i think my husband had dessert twice during the 11 days… he is normally tempted way more often than that!
hope that whenever we sail on HAL again that there is more to look forward to.😍

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

and maybe, possibly, with any luck, some crackers 😁

I've never understood the whole crackers with cheese thing. For me, it takes away from the taste of a good cheese.

• Like 1