Travel Insurance still required?

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

That's interesting, as Aviva is our motor insurance provider and will not now cover my husband who 8is 85.  I wonder what they will do about us when we come to renew our Nationwide Travel insurance.

As is clearly mentioned in the document (above) from @Eddie99 there is no longer a need to pay an age upgrade and there is no reference to an upper age limit.

How does a thread about “travel insurance on a UK cruise” get diverted to discussion about “duty free sales” in UK ports !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roomba920 said:

Is it a requirement by P&O, or are you saying it's strongly recommended by passengers?

It is a requirement for U K passengers. As others have said you would still have to cover any charges or losses yourself if you didn’t have any insurance so to me it’s a no brainier. 

• Like 1

I agree with everything Winifred 22 has said.

If I didn't have travel insurance I think I would be a bit on edge in case I tripped or something happened to injure me.. again.

A few years ago, en route to a cruise, I got caught in a hotel lift abroad and It was awful.. Because of my injuries I was put in a very bleak hospital that had a Professor. that could save my foot.  There was no charge for the hospital stay (a month in total here and over here)   because it was their people's hospital but goodness knows  how much the bill would have been if I had been taken to a private hospital as usually happens.  Two operations, one procedure and over two weeks inpatient care            plus medical jet home could have cost an astronomical amount.

My life changed in that 10 seconds but that's not what this thread is about.

Adequate insurance essential in my view.

• Like 3

On 2/5/2024 at 6:49 PM, Peterson78 said:

As is clearly mentioned in the document (above) from @Eddie99 there is no longer a need to pay an age upgrade and there is no reference to an upper age limit.

How does a thread about “travel insurance on a UK cruise” get diverted to discussion about “duty free sales” in UK ports !!

Yes I read the document, but just saying that Aviva doesn't cover over 85s if you do a quote with them for either travel insurance or car insurance.  Will renew on 19th April and see if we can stay with the company who covers them now.

35 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I read the document, but just saying that Aviva doesn't cover over 85s if you do a quote with them for either travel insurance or car insurance.  Will renew on 19th April and see if we can stay with the company who covers them now.

Yes, just spoken to the current insurer with NW Flex and my upgrades expire on April 19th, so can renew and stay with them which is a relief.

7 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

It is a requirement for U K passengers. As others have said you would still have to cover any charges or losses yourself if you didn’t have any insurance so to me it’s a no brainier. 

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

I agree with everything Winifred 22 has said.

If I didn't have travel insurance I think I would be a bit on edge in case I tripped or something happened to injure me.. again.

A few years ago, en route to a cruise, I got caught in a hotel lift abroad and It was awful.. Because of my injuries I was put in a very bleak hospital that had a Professor. that could save my foot.  There was no charge for the hospital stay (a month in total here and over here)   because it was their people's hospital but goodness knows  how much the bill would have been if I had been taken to a private hospital as usually happens.  Two operations, one procedure and over two weeks inpatient care            plus medical jet home could have cost an astronomical amount.

The  life changed in that 10 seconds but that's not what this thread is about.

Adequate insurance essential in my view.

How anyone could think of skimping on insurance is beyond me ?

The wife felt unwell and the ships nurse thought the doctor should take a look at her.

All onboard treatment is at eyewatering prices for her to lay on the medical centre bed 

we were billed £100 per hour . To have an oxymeter put on your finger cost £60 per go

The bill exceeded 2k for the ships treatment alone .

I agree with the posts advising "get yourself insured" ,crazy not to.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

It could have been, for me, one month's hospital bills, plus two major operations....... that would have been  5/6 figures or more.

An example  Lehr medical evacuation from Italy to  UK    over £17,000 in 2019.

Insurance  is a  No. 1 priority.  Ours is four figures but we just have to grit our teeth and bear it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

It could have been, for me, one month's hospital bills, plus two major operations....... that would have been  5/6 figures or more.

An example  Lehr medical evacuation from Italy to  UK    over £17,000 in 2019.

Insurance  is a  No. 1 priority.  Ours is four figures but we just have to grit our teeth and bear it.

Well ours looks like 4 figures but not with Nationwide Flex Plus!!

• Like 1

Has anyone mentioned the fact that Travel Insurance will also cover you if anything happens to you or close family before the holiday? 

You are not entitled to a refund should you be too ill to go on your cruise. That is what the insurance is for. The insurance covers you from the day you take it out even if you only buy a week's cover. so the golden rule is to buy it on the same day as you book the holiday.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance/ might help.

• Like 2