Travel Insurance still required?

The document I linked to sets out the differences between UK Insurance and Aviva

It has ‘traffic light’ indicators of whether the change is bad for journalists (red), better for you (green) or neutral (grey)

• Like 1

Ah, thank you

I must be particularly dense today 🫤

In that case it’s pretty much swings and roundabouts - no blanket surcharge for 70+ but if you want extra cruise cover you need to purchase trip by trip, etc etc

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Really? (I’m not doubting you - just saying Really?). 
Do you know if it affects everyone, including existing policy-holders, or just new accounts?

Can you give me a link or a hint where to find this in black and white, so I can accept the new situation & make alternative plans?

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Really? (I’m not doubting you - just saying Really?). 
Do you know if it affects everyone, including existing policy-holders, or just new accounts?

Can you give me a link or a hint where to find this in black and white, so I can accept the new situation & make alternative plans?

Thanks in advance

Might not affect Nationwide customers. I just visited Aviva website for a quote and saw I was too old!

6 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Aviva would not quote. You have to be under 75! Wonder if this will affect any over 74s currently with Nationwide? 

You will no longer need to buy a separate 
upgrade to be covered beyond your 70th 
birthday. You will be covered automatically.

(Whole policy) 

Above is quote from N/W notification of change. 

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexplus/travel-insurance-changes/

From the first link document re changes with new insurer

See reference under Upgrades on Page 2.

As already described there is a traffic light system to categorise changes as improved/neutral/less cover or costs more

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

You will no longer need to buy a separate 
upgrade to be covered beyond your 70th 
birthday. You will be covered automatically.

(Whole policy) 

Above is quote from N/W notification of change. 

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexplus/travel-insurance-changes/

From the first link document re changes with new insurer

See reference under Upgrades on Page 2.

As already described there is a traffic light system to categorise changes as improved/neutral/less cover or costs more

Thank you for this link I was not aware of this change. Reading the FAQs you will not be transferred over to the new scheme until any upgrades you have expire. Mine expire in October so perhaps that’s why I have not heard. Can’t find the prices for the cruise cover under the new scheme. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Thank you for this link I was not aware of this change. Reading the FAQs you will not be transferred over to the new scheme until any upgrades you have expire. Mine expire in October so perhaps that’s why I have not heard. Can’t find the prices for the cruise cover under the new scheme. 

No, I dont think they have declared that yet. Ours is renewed in May but have had no 'official' personal infomyet.

However that is only the add-on cruise cover element for missed ports or cabin confinement.  Cruise cover is included (critically medical, repatriation etc).  

We would benefit from the removal of the £69 age extension and currently we pay £40 p.a. for cruise extension cover.  So depending on what their charge is per cruise for cruise extension (and how many cruises you take each year) we will have to see whether it is better or worse. 

Given that N/W cover both parties if you have a joint account those cost are then less per person. 

45 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

No, I dont think they have declared that yet. Ours is renewed in May but have had no 'official' personal infomyet.

However that is only the add-on cruise cover element for missed ports or cabin confinement.  Cruise cover is included (critically medical, repatriation etc).  

We would benefit from the removal of the £69 age extension and currently we pay £40 p.a. for cruise extension cover.  So depending on what their charge is per cruise for cruise extension (and how many cruises you take each year) we will have to see whether it is better or worse. 

Given that N/W cover both parties if you have a joint account those cost are then less per person. 

Thank you for update. I am solo and only 65 but I do cruise several times a year so really benefit from only  £40 supplement. I will wait see how much the add one on per cruise is. Does seem a better deal for older folk though. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Thank you for update. I am solo and only 65 but I do cruise several times a year so really benefit from only  £40 supplement. I will wait see how much the add one on per cruise is. Does seem a better deal for older folk though. 

Yes that is certainly true.

I guess it will also hinge on how quotes from other providers compare and whether taking a punt on missed ports/cabin confinement is something which would be important and therefore what the cost would be per cruise.   We'd never heard of cruise extension cover a few years ago, weren't covered and never gave it a thought, though we've missed many a port in the past!

But good to weigh up the options - the value for individual circumstances vary greatly (number of cruises, cost, add-ons, medical screen, level of cover etc).  Bit of a minefield but important to get it right for yourself.  

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:02 PM, kruzseeka said:

Have you looked at Nationwide FlexPlus?   It is changing its insurers from UK Insurance to Aviva in May but with the bank account a £13 p.m. charge gives you annual world wide insurance. 

That is very interesting.

I had looked at the Nationwide insurance for the additional mobile phone and breakdown cover as well as the travel insurance, but having gone through the health screening with UK Insurance the added premium to cover some pretty standard health issues was a few hundred pounds.

However it is Aviva that provides the 'free' travel insurance with my HSBC account, and they accept those same conditions without additional charge.

And so it will be interesting to see if Aviva apply the same policy when they Nationwide's travel insurer.

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

You actually do not need a joint account in order for all your immediate family to be covered. I have a personal account and my wife is also covered.

11 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

That is very interesting.

I had looked at the Nationwide insurance for the additional mobile phone and breakdown cover as well as the travel insurance, but having gone through the health screening with UK Insurance the added premium to cover some pretty standard health issues was a few hundred pounds.

However it is Aviva that provides the 'free' travel insurance with my HSBC account, and they accept those same conditions without additional charge.

And so it will be interesting to see if Aviva apply the same policy when they Nationwide's travel insurer.

Aviva would not quote for me, being over 74, but I expect they will make allowances for Nationwide customers. 

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You actually do not need a joint account in order for all your immediate family to be covered. I have a personal account and my wife is also covered.

Gosh - didn't realise that - that's good.  Having said that we only run the account for the Travel Insurance 😊 so it might as well be in both names. In my defence though we do have other accounts with N/W 😁 

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Aviva would not quote for me, being over 74, but I expect they will make allowances for Nationwide customers. 

Perhaps worth checking out - it may work out cheaper than the £600 you quoted earlier.  

On 1/19/2024 at 11:20 AM, Thejuggler said:

Always have insurance.

However helicopter airlifts from UK waters are generally undertaken by UK Coastguard service for which there is no charge.

Yip they were called out to my daughter on a school trip on the Hull crossing. In the end she didn't get airlifted as a Dr was found (passenger) who could administer strong pain meds  until they got her to land.  As a result later she ended up having to have her whole knee reconstructed including ligament & bone grafts held by screws  and 9 months no weight bearing until grafts took.  Would not like to have been in the position of paying for that abroad.  

Virtually every British Isles cruise pops in a foreign port such as Le Havre. When a ship enters a foreign port ex-UK round trip, I understand the line are then able to sell duty frees. If this port of call is not included I believe no duty free sales are permitted.

Regards John

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, john watson said:

Virtually every British Isles cruise pops in a foreign port such as Le Havre. When a ship enters a foreign port ex-UK round trip, I understand the line are then able to sell duty frees. If this port of call is not included I believe no duty free sales are permitted.

Regards John

If a non UK Port is included in the Cruise & is then cancelled during the Cruise Duty Free is still available.

5 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

That was my understanding as well, but I wonder if calls made in Ireland do not qualify, a cruise some friends are on calls at Dublin as well as Le Havre, which would seem somewhat overkill.

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That was my understanding as well, but I wonder if calls made in Ireland do not qualify, a cruise some friends are on calls at Dublin as well as Le Havre, which would seem somewhat overkill.

From what ai remember when we were looking at ferries to Dublin last year Duty Free Sales were available on the Ferry, so I would have thought same would apply to a cruise ship 

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

From what ai remember when we were looking at ferries to Dublin last year Duty Free Sales were available on the Ferry, so I would have thought same would apply to a cruise ship 

Providing your Cruise has at least one Non UK Port Duty Free is available.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:43 AM, Fionboard said:

That's interesting, as Aviva is our motor insurance provider and will not now cover my husband who 8is 85.  I wonder what they will do about us when we come to renew our Nationwide Travel insurance.

18 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think Ireland does not qualify but Guernsey does.  Probably because you can walk across the border undocumented.

Regards John

• Haha 1