Travel Insurance still required?

Living up to my name with a question like this and whilst it is some time away yet, I do love to be organised... Will I still be required to have Travel Insurance for my British Isles cruise? I'm under the impression that you'd only need travel insurance if you were to leave the UK? Although I suppose the few hours we'll be spending in Cork on the final day will probably answer my question, but would still like some clarification please. 🙂

TIA x

Yes you absolutely still need insurance. Its a requirement of sailing.

Your holiday with us

It is your responsibility to ensure you have appropriate cover in place for the duration of your holiday. Unfortunately you will be denied boarding, at your own expense, if you’re unable to confirm you have arranged insurance.

You may be asked for proof of your travel insurance so please be sure to bring either a printed or digital copy of your insurance documentation that confirms cover for the named travellers over the dates of travel.

On a recent cruise my wife had a cut on her arm, the medical centre cleaned the cut, put two butterfly stitches and a patch over the cut. Total cost £109 - yes you need insurance.

Definitely

I've seen three separate Go Fund Me appeals this week alone.   People (all young in these cases) who have ended up in hospitals due to falls, illnesses etc they never thought they would have). with no insurance.   I do, of course wish all three of these people a good recovery

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

Will you be able to afford to pay the helicopter fee if you need to be airlifted onto the mainland?

Always have insurance.

However helicopter airlifts from UK waters are generally undertaken by UK Coastguard service for which there is no charge.

• Like 1

I always had travel insurance when I used to go abroad with friends back in the 80s, but never considered that we might have a medical situation! At that age, it was the fear of losing passports and money. Since my children started travelling abroad without us, I’ve always stressed that travel insurance is essential. Mobiles can be replaced, but a medical emergency could be a big deal. 

• Like 2

It's a requirement for P and O cruises to have travel insurance,not just a good idea. Although they don't often check that you have it before you board they sometimes do and if you didn't have it you would probably be refused boarding 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexMcSpot said:

On a recent cruise my wife had a cut on her arm, the medical centre cleaned the cut, put two butterfly stitches and a patch over the cut. Total cost £109 - yes you need insurance.

What was the excess.?.

23 hours ago, AlexMcSpot said:

You don't need insurance to cover you for a £109 bill of any kind, medical or not.

You need medical insurance for two reasons - 

Firstly when you have had treatment in some far flung place and they have added a few zeros onto the end of that bill, plus the cost of repatriation if needed.

Secondly because P&O won't let you on the ship without it.

But as for anyone actually making a worthwhile claim on a UK only cruise - I seriously doubt that happens an awful lot.

5 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

You don't need insurance to cover you for a £109 bill of any kind, medical or not.

Firstly when you have had treatment in some far flung place and they have added a few zeros onto the end of that bill, plus the cost of repatriation if needed.

But as for anyone actually making a worthwhile claim on a UK only cruise - I seriously doubt that happens an awful lot.

The point I was attempting to portray was a cut that required some butterfly stitches and a plaster cost £109 - imagine how much it would cost if it had been something that need more medical assistance, the price would rocket. That is why, in my humble opinion, travel insurance is a must.

Edited by AlexMcSpot
  • Like 4

The point to bear in mind about having medical cover on any cruise is that ships are a dangerous place to be and anyone can incur serious injury just going about their day to day activities.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

That's just what the Italians said on Costa Concordia.

Does Italy not have public healthcare for its citizens and did that not cover those who were rescued?

Or are you suggesting that the rescue boats made a charge?

And for those unfortunate people who were killed, then if they needed insurance to cover their life then logically they would have had that life insurance whether or not they were on a ship.

On 1/20/2024 at 9:53 AM, 9265359 said:

Never been asked to show my insurance upon boarding, so how would they know if I had any or not??

1 hour ago, newport dave said:

yes, unless you're happy to pay the exorbitant fees they charge in the onboard Med Centre if in the unlikely situation you needed to use it.

The "exorbitant fees" you quote are as a result of getting what is effectively private health care!

• Like 1