What is all the paperwork I need to fill out?

Ok I'm new at this y'all and I am scared I am going to end up messing up or missing something.

What all do I have to do or fill out ahead of time?

I've been hearing about a sail pass, luggage tags, etc.

Looking out for boarding times and reservation times?  (I have to idea when to do that)

I am traveling on Symphony of the Seas May 31st-June 7th.  New Jersey to Bahamas (if that helps)

Royal Caribbean hasn't told me any of this stuff when I booked so what do I have to do?  Bring?

Help?

I am mostly concerned because our flight gets in at 7:30am  (it'sa red eye) and I have an autistic 18 year old with me)

What is there to do between landing and getting to the port?  Is there anything to do when we get to the port to hang out for a while?

I sit easy to get to by uber or should we arrange transportation via Royal Caribbean? (I know its more expensive by a long shot)

I thank anyone that helps in advance.  As excited as I am about this trip it does come with a bit of anxiety.

There isn't anything to do at the port or general area.  The terminal probably won't open up for new passengers until 10 am is, and even then you may have to wait to board.

Maybe get some breakfast at the airport.

You can do check in online via app or website usually 45 days pre-cruise.

Pick the earliest time slot but no worries they haven't been checking them at Cape Liberty.

Usually with 3 to 4 weeks pre cruise date you can print your luggage tags.

If using the app your set sail pass will be on there, no need to print.   Or you can print it when you print your luggage tags.

The only actual paperwork you must have with you is everyone's passports or the birth certificate option with ID for in person check in at the terminal.

I prefer Uber. 

Have Fun

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

Ok I'm new at this y'all and I am scared I am going to end up messing up or missing something.

What all do I have to do or fill out ahead of time?

I've been hearing about a sail pass, luggage tags, etc.

Looking out for boarding times and reservation times?  (I have to idea when to do that)

I am traveling on Symphony of the Seas May 31st-June 7th.  New Jersey to Bahamas (if that helps)

Royal Caribbean hasn't told me any of this stuff when I booked so what do I have to do?  Bring?

Help?

I am mostly concerned because our flight gets in at 7:30am  (it'sa red eye) and I have an autistic 18 year old with me)

What is there to do between landing and getting to the port?  Is there anything to do when we get to the port to hang out for a while?

I sit easy to get to by uber or should we arrange transportation via Royal Caribbean? (I know its more expensive by a long shot)

I thank anyone that helps in advance.  As excited as I am about this trip it does come with a bit of anxiety.

First download the app to your phone. Checkin is normally 45 days from your sail date. When you check in they assign an arrival time for you at the pier. 

You need your passport information ready on check in day. They will ask you to upload a photo but you can bypass this. Once you have entered your passport information you will be given a choice of check in times for arrival day and can choose the earliest available.

There is a 911 memorial to visit at the pier also while you wait if you are there too early. 

The luggage tags are able to be printed from the desktop login and under your reservation documents. They are available a couple weeks before you sail. 

Day of embarkation you can use the app to bring up your set sail pass for checkin at the pier.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise. I hope to be on Symphony this fall 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

Other than having info on the phone, we always have paper copies in our backpack just in case something happens to the phone. 

yes very good advice.

• Like 1

None of this is difficult -- I promise!   

1.  Download the Royal Caribbean app on your phone right now.  You'll be able to see a good bit of information now (and can make your dinner reservations now, if you have My Time Dining), and more details will show up as your sailing nears.  

2.   90 days before your cruise -- put this on your calendar -- you need to "pay off" your cruise ticket.  

3.  45 days before your cruise -- put this on your calendar -- you'll need to log on (through the app or on your computer) and complete your check-in.  Gather your information before this date.  You'll input your passport or birth certificate information, the credit card you want to use for onboard purchases, your emergency contact at home, and (optional) a selfie.  The last thing you'll do as a part of check-in is claim a boarding time; most people want the earliest time slot.  Once this is done, you can print your boarding pass /set sail pass.  You can show it on your phone, but I prefer to have it printed.  

4.  30 days before your cruise you'll receive your sailing documents in your email.  Lots of legal info, and at the tail end of it you'll find two very important things:  the specific terminal number from which you'll sail and your printable luggage tags.  

5.  On Embarkation Day I like to arrive one hour ahead of my check-in /boarding time.  That seems to be "just enough time" to park the car, turn our suitcases over to the porters, and get in line.  It's not an excessive wait.  Once we're through check-in, we have to sit and wait until they begin boarding.  The earliest boarding time is usually 10:30 (can vary).  You know your son; if waiting isn't his strong point, you might want to have him bring a book, a handheld video game, or music /ear buds.  

6.  Understand that if you board early (as a 7:30 flight suggests), your rooms won't be available to you until 1:00 - 1:30ish.  So whatever you carry on, you must keep up with for a while.  This isn't a big deal, but it's better to know.  When the rooms are ready, the captain will make an announcement over the loudspeakers.  When you get to your room, your Ship ID cards will be in an envelope outside the door.  

That's it for paperwork and arrival.  Be thorough, but it shouldn't be anxiety-provoking.

I'd think twice about flying in a day ahead; so much can go wrong.  This board isn't united on many things, but 99% of the regulars here will advise you (unless you live locally) to arrive a day ahead of time.  Yes, it'll cost you a hotel stay, but if you experience any delays, it won't matter.  And on Embarkation day you can sleep in a bit, have a nice breakfast, and head to the port leisurely and well-rested.

Sorry, I've never sailed out of New Jersey, so I'm no help with the specific port, but I know that Ubers will be plentiful.  The locals who drive Uber know that cruisers will use their services -- be ready with that specific terminal number, and it's safe to assume that your Uber driver is familiar with the port.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ditto on what has been posted by others.

One thing to add...... make sure the ID's are current and valid and if you're using birth certificates make sure they are not just copies. They have to be issued by the Vital Records office from where you were born. Most will have a raised seal.

• Like 3

Just two things, in addition to the great info posted above:

1. When you're doing check-in ~45 days from sailing, you will be selecting a terminal arrival time, not a boarding time. 
  2. I've read on this board that if you're wanting a specific (early maybe?) arrival time, use the mobile app as it allows you to select your arrival time without going through all the prior check-in steps. Then when you have a bit more time, you can complete the rest of the check-in requirements either on the app or on your computer.
Edited by joepeka

Be sure to book all the show, days and times, about 30 days before sail date,  Use the cruise planner or possibly the app.  Use the app to do the video checkin for the muster drill, once onboard it only takes a minute to just physically checkin at your muster station.  No charge breakfast at Johnny Rockets every morning, it is a Oasis Class perk. Uber is cheaper and better transportation getting from and back to the airport. 

2 hours ago, joepeka said:

Just two things, in addition to the great info posted above:

1. When you're doing check-in ~45 days from sailing, you will be selecting a terminal arrival time, not a boarding time.

The app to do the on-line check in opens at around 12:05 a.m.  So, if it says check-in starts March 3, 2024, you can log in just after midnight to select your arrival time (not boarding time).  Within the app you can select your arrival time and then come back later that morning/day (or any day later) to input the passport info (which is super easy as you just scan the barcode with your camera on your phone) and credit card/on board expense payment method.etc.  It took about 4 minutes to do me and my wife's stuff.  Super easy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

The app to do the on-line check in opens at around 12:05 a.m.  So, if it says check-in starts March 3, 2024, you can log in just after midnight to select your arrival time (not boarding time).  Within the app you can select your arrival time and then come back later that morning/day (or any day later) to input the passport info (which is super easy as you just scan the barcode with your camera on your phone) and credit card/on board expense payment method.etc.  It took about 4 minutes to do me and my wife's stuff.  Super easy.

My check in starts May 28 and I have all 11 of us linked in my account (4 cabins). Since I'm the late owl, can I go in at 12:05 am on May 28 and select the arrival time for all 4 cabins and they can go back in later to add their own passport info etc.?

Does it matter that we have 4  junior suites? I seem to remember reading we would get some kind of priority check in but is that different than selecting my arrival time? 

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

None of this is difficult -- I promise!   

1.  Download the Royal Caribbean app on your phone right now.  You'll be able to see a good bit of information now (and can make your dinner reservations now, if you have My Time Dining), and more details will show up as your sailing nears....

I'm keeping your post in my cruise file - thanks!

• Like 1

Yes, if all reservations are linked you can select the arrival time for everyone in your party. I did this last March for us & our traveling companions. None of us were in suites, tho, so not sure about that!

• Like 1

Which airport are you flying into? If you are wheels down at 7:30 am you probably won't get off the plane for another 30 minutes, then bathroom break, making your way to baggage claim, waiting for bags. So it is possible you aren't ready for an Uber until 9am. Newark is the closest, so that drive is *maybe* 15 minutes in light traffic. If you are flying into JFK or LGA your travel time might vary, depending on the day of the week.

We go out of Bayonne frequently, it's not glamorous like Miami, but gets the job done. They usually start letting people in around 10, and then you check in and wait to be called for boarding. 

I will agree with others, flying the day before is a better option if you can do it.

5 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

you can log in just after midnight to select your arrival time (not boarding time).  

I've not yet tried to be among the first to pick an arrival time so I don't know the answer: is that midnight east coast (RCI home office) time or midnight in your local time zone?

Edited by joepeka

Also, when you are on your way to the port you can do the safety briefing, it's the life preserver in the app, then when you board go to your muster station to check in and get that out of the way.

14 minutes ago, soremekun said:

awwww.  a cruise virgin.

So as someone who has been on a lot of cruises in recent years (and apparently more scheduled), how about if you offered some words of wisdom, some insight, some lessons learned rather than patting the OP on the head and basically saying "you're precious." and nothing more?

Edited by joepeka

2 minutes ago, joepeka said:

So as someone who has been on a lot of cruises in recent years (and apparently more scheduled), how about if you offered some words of wisdom, some insight, some lessons learned rather than patting the OP on the head and basically saying "you're precious."?

My advice: Don't put your luggage out the last evening.  Carry it off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Excellent sir!

Also: Use a passport instead of a birth certificate.  Scan and go as you leave the terminal at several ports.

Indirectly cruise related: TSA Pre Check is the way to go.

Don't book a flight home with a departure before noon.

Good advice I don't follow:  Arrive the day before the cruise due to potential travel issues.

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 2

Our flight is through Royal Air2Sea and it says if something is delayed they will get us another flight or something.  We will carry our luggage off.  We took a short Carnival cruise to Cabo (from our home port) a couple years ago but it was nothing like this.  Smaller didn't have to do as much, and it was taking off from our home town in LA.

I have a passport and my husband and son are going to be getting theirs.

We have already paid for our cruise in full including shore excursions. wifi, drink packages, etc.

Where does it say on the app or website a list of all this stuff?

Where does it say the day that boarding times will be available?  Reservations for shows available?

If I am forced to get a later boarding will they take into consideration my sons autism and allow us to checkin and board early?

Someone recommended having breakfast in the airport but we need to go get our bags?