Seating for dining

For early traditional you could be assigned to any floor.

In general with the new system one of the dining rooms is initially used for early traditional, but those early diners begin to exit that specific dining room, MTD diners are seated in that dining room.  For the rest if the evening that particular dining room is dedicated to MTD.   Meanwhile the other dining rooms have the usual early and late traditional seatings.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have early dining on our upcoming Allure cruise. On day two, however, we have Mamma Mia at 3:30pm - which isn't over until around 6:00.  I'm assuming that we will be able to roll into a "my time dining room" at that point since we clearly won't be able to make it to 5:15.  We don't like doing the buffet for dinner, especially since that's a "formal night," and it will be our grand kids' first cruise.  Should I address this with the maitre'D once on board? 

7 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

We have early dining on our upcoming Allure cruise. On day two, however, we have Mamma Mia at 3:30pm - which isn't over until around 6:00.  I'm assuming that we will be able to roll into a "my time dining room" at that point since we clearly won't be able to make it to 5:15.  We don't like doing the buffet for dinner, especially since that's a "formal night," and it will be our grand kids' first cruise.  Should I address this with the maitre'D once on board? 

If you are assigned to early traditional dining then you will not be able to change over to MTD for just that one meal.  You may be able to change to MTD for the entire cruise, but you cannot mix and match traditional and MTD.

I do suggest that you speak with the Maitre'd and see if they can suggest something.  Maybe they will make an exception for you but I would be prepared for them to say "no" to MTD.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

They will most likely reject you - as you don't have MTD! You have to do the buffet or specialty! They are busy with MTD and do not need any spill over....

18 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

Definitely ask the head waiter or maitre'D on night 1 if they can accommodate or if you will have to make other diner plans for that evening.   

• Like 1

Thanks.  I'd hate to have to cancel Mamma Mia just so we can make dinner. We originally had MTD, but that didn't start until 6:45, which interfered with the 7:00 p.m. shows on other days - Blades and the Aqua thing.  There didn't seem to be any way to make those work with the show times, either.  Doesn't the MTD work so you don't have to go at a specific time?  Pretty new to Royal 🙂

27 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

Doesn't the MTD work so you don't have to go at a specific time?  Pretty new to Royal 🙂

Yes, but you have to choose either fixed time traditional dining or MTD.  You cannot mix them.

I definitely would not cancel my theater reservations.  You can just make other arrangements for dining that evening.  There’s lots of choices for places to eat besides the MDR.

Of course - we already have one specialty restaurant, and it's only a four night cruise.  The kids are 4 & 5. I really want them to have the experience of the formal night in the MDR, which is the only day they are doing an early production of Mamma Mia (which they both love).  I may see if I can switch back to the MTD and just figure out how to make it work with the 7:00 p.m. skating show (on another night) - the 9:15 will be too late for them.  It just seems odd that one can't get into the My Time dining room until 6:45 p.m., which it the earliest time it let me book on the app.  

19 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

It just seems odd that one can't get into the My Time dining room until 6:45 p.m., which it the earliest time it let me book on the app.  

Many have had luck (I know 2 personal situations) going to dining room about 6-6:15 and seeing if you can be seated. They backfill empty tables from early traditional. They don’t have a separate dining room anymore. 

45 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

Of course - we already have one specialty restaurant, and it's only a four night cruise.  The kids are 4 & 5. I really want them to have the experience of the formal night in the MDR, which is the only day they are doing an early production of Mamma Mia (which they both love).  I may see if I can switch back to the MTD and just figure out how to make it work with the 7:00 p.m. skating show (on another night) - the 9:15 will be too late for them.  It just seems odd that one can't get into the My Time dining room until 6:45 p.m., which it the earliest time it let me book on the app.  

MTD starting at 6:45 seems to be the norm.   Although you will see long lines starting to form way before 6:45 as those diners are hoping they can be seated earlier.    You may just want to wait until your onboard before you make the switch to MTD.     Just explain to the head waiter or matre'dD and hopefully they can accommodate you.   I have found Head Waiter (not the waiters of your table but the Head Waiter that wonders around and stops by every table to make sure everything is okay) to be very helpful.

• Like 1

Thanks. That sounds like a good plan. We are also rethinking shows - except Mamma Mia.  While 5:15 seems ridiculously early to eat - even for our little ones - I'm just not sure how to make it all work, LOL.  Just too much to do in a short amount of time.  Our June cruise can't come soon enough after this one.  

Edited by Softball20
update

Just now, Softball20 said:

Just noticed that Diamond level gets some sort of priority waitlist seating request for the MDR. Might this help us accomplish our dinner goal on that one night?

No, because wherever you saw that, it is incorrect.

8 minutes ago, Softball20 said:

It’s on the C&A perks chart for the various levels on the RCCL website. 

That may be in but in reality, I don't recall anyone ever reporting being seated ahead of someone else due to their C&A level (except maybe at P level)

Edited by Biker19

Since you know you will have a problem with that specific night, go to the dining room as soon as you board and speak to a MaitreD and they will try to accomodate your request. I’ve had a few instances where I knew we were going to be late due to a timing excursion and had no problem being seated in the MDR. 
Make sure whatever results that you tell your waiter that you may not be dining that specific night do that the table is allocated to another party for that night. 

Edited by nelblu

22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That may be in but in reality, I don't recall anyone ever reporting being seated ahead of someone else due to their C&A level (except maybe at P level)

Got ya. 

23 hours ago, Softball20 said:

Thanks. That sounds like a good plan. We are also rethinking shows - except Mamma Mia.  While 5:15 seems ridiculously early to eat - even for our little ones - I'm just not sure how to make it all work, LOL.  Just too much to do in a short amount of time.  Our June cruise can't come soon enough after this one.  

On boarding, after your muster, go to the Main Room entrance and talk to a host or hostess there. They will have the right answer for you.

That definitely sounds like the best plan.  If something doesn't work out with that, I'll change our specialty night to that one, instead of what would have been our day three.  I'm not sure why I'm so hung up on having the kids in the MDR for "formal night."  We clearly won't be doing the tux/gown thing, and I'm sure, especially on a four night sailing, not many others, if any, will.  I just wanted the kids to have a more special night and a chance to "dress up"  (more so than we would do on other nights).  We will make it all work.  

13 hours ago, Softball20 said:

Just noticed that Diamond level gets some sort of priority waitlist seating request for the MDR. Might this help us accomplish our dinner goal on that one night?

If there is a pre-cruise waitlist for one of the dining options (early traditional, late traditional or MTD), priority waitlist will put you in a better position on that pre-cruise waitlist, so you may get you preferred dining option for the entire cruise. It does not let one jump between early traditional and MTD on the same cruise.