HAL is surveying itineraries for future world cruises

50 minutes ago, whogo said:

Agreed, cruisemom.  A world cruise for North Americans does not need to visit the Caribbean or the USA. Look at the possibilities, though, of El Salvador and Nicaragua, US cruise lines don't go there. Visit Marshall Islands, Chuuk, Guam and Saipan for WWII history and the Germans visit places in the Philippines and Malaysia that I never heard of. 

Unfortunately, I think the seniors who take world cruises want safe, familiar places.

Guam and Saipan are on this year’s world. 

I’m not sure I agree with your last statement. There are a lot of adventurous people on a world cruise. Many may not go ashore simply because they have been to these ports so many times. 

53 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

One issue is that the world cruise usually starts in early January. I assume for those who want to escape winter in the US and Canada. Staying in the northern hemisphere won’t be that warm. I’m expecting Japan in February to be cold this year. You can’t just head right there in January.

I guess, living in the southern US, colder weather isn't necessarily a deterrent. I'd rather have it than hot weather that makes it uncomfortable to sightsee. I would view a World Cruise as a journey to see faraway places, not to just stay onboard a ship and bask in the sun -- can do that much more cheaply by just booking multiple BTB Caribbean cruises....

I just did a Panama canal cruise on an Oceania ship. It was so hot and steamy in Cartagena, for example, that even though I had booked an excursion, I just turned around and went back to the ship after walking to the bus. It was too darn hot to be enjoyable in any way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

While the HAL World Cruises are longer than other mainstream lines, the smaller premium/luxury ships take even longer, often up to 6 - 9 months.

I was just on Oceania on the ship and cruise preceding their World Voyage. About 250 passengers opted to start their voyage early by starting in Miami on our cruise rather than the "official" start in LA. Even starting in LA, it was a 180-day cruise. 

I suspect I would enjoy more doing segments of world cruises on a series of smaller ships than one long voyage. It would allow me to pick and choose the best (for me) itineraries of the regions I'm interested in and avoid those that interest me much less.

• Like 5

Surprised they do not include more islands in the Indian Ocean, or India itself.  India visa hassles have made themselves tourist unfriendly, but I assume they would welcome the tourism dollars.   No longer Black Sea either - which is too bad. Exotic, challenging, often well  out of the personal comfort zone.  but just the ticket for those seeking new travel experiences.

There are many accessible and unique Indian Ocean islands to visit: Mauritius, Andaman, Reunion, Seychelles, Maldives, Madagascar ........ I would include visits to Pakistan as well.  Djibouti -horn of Africa. Both compelling, and do have a tourism infrastructure. (Present travails not withstanding)

Considering the volatility of todays global flashpoints, choices for this type of long-range planning do become problematic.

We are getting some major port changes in both Alaska and Japan, just on our upcoming 53 day Majestic Japan cruise starting September this year. Neither at this time are considered geopolitical "hot spots" -- -except for that new volcanic island emerging off Iwo Jima. Yet this itinerary is also subject to significant changes -  but no deal breakers for us.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I guess, living in the southern US, colder weather isn't necessarily a deterrent. I'd rather have it than hot weather that makes it uncomfortable to sightsee. I would view a World Cruise as a journey to see faraway places, not to just stay onboard a ship and bask in the sun -- can do that much more cheaply by just booking multiple BTB Caribbean cruises....

I just did a Panama canal cruise on an Oceania ship. It was so hot and steamy in Cartagena, for example, that even though I had booked an excursion, I just turned around and went back to the ship after walking to the bus. It was too darn hot to be enjoyable in any way.

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t go on world cruises for far away places. If you just want to stay onboard and bask in the sun, do months of Caribbean B2Bs.

2 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

I’m not sure I agree with your last statement. There are a lot of adventurous people on a world cruise. Many may not go ashore simply because they have been to these ports so many times. 

17 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t go on world cruises for far away places. If you just want to stay onboard and bask in the sun, do months of Caribbean B2Bs.

These two statements seem to contradict each other....can you clarify?

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

These two statements seem to contradict each other....can you clarify?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I think the vast majority of world cruisers want to go to faraway places, and are adventurous. But there are those who don't go ashore sometimes because they have been in these ports so many times.

• Thanks 1

I received and completed the survey.  It's great that there are a lot of overnights.  There were a couple of the itineraries that we found very appealing.  If kids, health and pets ever cooperate, sure would love to sign on. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for posting the itineraries. Apparently there are huge swaths of the world about which I am "meh"......

Why don't any of them visit Japan and China?

Do world cruises on smaller ships tend to visit more interesting ports?

I feel the same way regarding the “meh”. We follow some of the WC blogs and that only confirms my opinion.

13 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

My main response is why not more new ports. I guess one of the disadvantages of taking multiple grand cruises is that soon they repeat. If you start in January, you won't go north. Only so many ways to circle the globe. But still -- can't we have more new ports even on similar routes?

Three head south to Antarctica and Santiago, Chili, before heading west. One goes south around Australia, two north. Two south around Africa, two through Suez to Med. One goes to northern Europe. And one is eastbound, ending in San Diego.

I just completed my survey.  First I'll say the east sailing one is no way.  We did that on our first WC way back in 2010.  While it was awesome and we did have really great stops, it was pretty rough going in that direction.

Too many of the others have Antarctica.  I know this will sound crazy, but we've been there 3 times and we really don't need to go again, never mind I don't want to tempt the fates of the Drake Passage. 😱  One of the choices was pretty much a repeat of last year, 2023.  I liked the last one (D, I think) the best. 

I agree with you on the ports, but unfortunately, some of the "big" ports we go to are restock stops so are necessary. 

With the 2 smaller ships we have left, we could most definitely get to some "rarer" ports that the larger ones can't.  That would help if the WC could go back to that size ship.  Plus, some places are starting to limit the size of ships and not allowing them in (Major case in point for us is Bora Bora!).

Linda R.

@cruisemom42, @VMax1700, @AtlantaCruiser72, @SUESEABE

As @WriterOnDeck stated, northern countries such as Japan and China are really not the best places to be in winter so that would be the main reason the world cruise doesn't go there.  Just do a google search for various cities and you can see what the averages are in January and February. 

As far as not wanting to places when it's hot, you wouldn't want to go anywhere near the equator then since it's always hot in those areas.  Cartagena?  Hot.....always hot, no getting around it.  Anywhere in Indonesia, Singapore, etc. are hot too.  But, the world cruises go to southern Australia and New Zealand too most times.  But, again, it's summer then.  I know I wouldn't want to go to Australia or NZ in winter (our summer). 

As far as the Caribbean and the Panama Canal, the couple stops there are so that you don't get on the ship and sail for days.  Never mind that the Caribbean is part of the world.  Not everyone that cruises on the world cruises have been in the Caribbean very much.  For the Panama Canal?  I've been through there many times and each time I enjoy it.  It's also the easier way to get to the Pacific rather than having to go all the way around S. America (which not everyone wants to do).  If you want that, HAL has the Grand S. America every year.

@whogo  We have people on the world cruises that are yes, mainly North America, but also from all over the world.  Usually a fair amount of British, Dutch and other assorted Europeans and even people from Australia.  As far as "seniors" wanting to go places "safe and familiar places", you couldn't have that more wrong.  There are a LOT of people that go every year.  Some go less often and we've gone on a number of them since 2010.  I can tell you we would LOVE to get to new places.  When they had the Grand in the fall, they used to go to Asia at that time.  Fall was the perfect time for it weather wise.  In 2013 HAL had probably one of the best fall Grands we've ever been on.  Chock full of WWII islands, and other destinations you would have loved.  Check here for the itinerary that we did. https://lindavesadventures.com/2013/09/12/itinerary-for-our-cruise/

@OlsSalt  This past year on the 2023 we went to Reunion, Mauritius and were supposed to go to Madagascar but weather cancelled that out for us.  As far as the Black Sea, that was done occasionally when HAL was running the Grand Med.  Another Grand that we really wish they would bring back!

With any luck, we can get Gus Antorcha to bring the other Grands back.  They would be a guaranteed sell out, especially the Asia, etc.

Please, I don't want anyone to feel like I'm "lambasting" them; I'm just trying to set out the facts from my experiences on a number of Grands and World Cruises.  😎

Linda R.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

As @WriterOnDeck stated, northern countries such as Japan and China are really not the best places to be in winter so that would be the main reason the world cruise doesn't go there.  Just do a google search for various cities and you can see what the averages are in January and February. 

Which is why I would like to see an alternative month other than January for a World Cruise...

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

Which is why I would like to see an alternative month other than January for a World Cruise...

That would be a great idea since they've discontinued the other Grands!

Linda R.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

Princess does an annual WC starting in May from Sydney, Australia.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

As @WriterOnDeck stated, northern countries such as Japan and China are really not the best places to be in winter so that would be the main reason the world cruise doesn't go there.

Then move it to another date!  It seems to be ok to travel to Europe in October/November (see Volendam 45 day Ultimate Med and Atlantic Passage Oct 7 - Nov 21, 2025 visiting Greece, Malta, Cadiz and Gibraltar in November), but not travel to Japan in February/March?

This is more to do with maximising revenue from ship location than providing a 'World Cruise' experience.

• Like 4

While HAL may not be selling as many "Grand Voyages, they do not lack for longer itinerary options.  I like the new moniker of "Legendary Voyages for these options. 

2024/2025 Legendary Voyages

image.png.5357e4f75eaafc04bd9c3b74eaea8abb.png

2025/2026 Legendary Voyages

image.thumb.png.e3aed57d863d5e58028c27a074e23769.png

That said I do think there will be one or two more Grand Voyage for fall 2025 or early 2026 in addition the traditional World cruise.  Hoping for a fall grand Asia and winter Grand South America

• Like 4

15 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

As far as not wanting to places when it's hot, you wouldn't want to go anywhere near the equator then since it's always hot in those areas.  Cartagena?  Hot.....always hot, no getting around it.  Anywhere in Indonesia, Singapore, etc. are hot too.  But, the world cruises go to southern Australia and New Zealand too most times.  But, again, it's summer then.  I know I wouldn't want to go to Australia or NZ in winter (our summer). 

I'd actually be quite happy on a cruise that didn't have a lot of stops in the vicinity of the equator. Also would be fine with a world cruise at a different time of the year -- but I suspect some of the reason why these cruises sail when they do is the relative unattractiveness of cruising in certain areas in January-March timeframe. I certainly wouldn't book a Baltic cruise in that period, but I could easily imagine a nice long float in the Med where temperatures are what I would consider cool but moderate. (And there are so many fewer tourists!)

At any rate, I suspect I may be an outlier but the temps I looked up for Tokyo, Shanghai and similar during this time of year wouldn't discourage me whatsoever, especially if they were timed toward the end of a long voyage, e.g., in March.

• Like 2

Until the situation in the Red Sea is resolved, none of these potential itineraries will be implemented.  No cruise line is going to send a ship anywhere near that area as things stand, so getting into the Med via Suez on a WC ain't gonna happen. 

I'm bookedon a leg of the Princess WC from Dubai to Rome in March 2025.  They've already cut out the two Israel ports and my guess is that the only reason the whole leg hasn't been altered is that TPTB hope that ships can return to the Red Sea/Suez by March 2025.

@cruisemom42says that no one would want to book a Baltic cruise in the winter.  Maybe I'm a weirdo but seeing the great Baltic cities in the winter would be very intriguing to me. I'd love to go to Tallin or Helsinki or St. Petersburg (I know an impossibility) and see the cities with snow on the ground.

• Like 3

When I was traveling solo by land many years ago, I joked I always looked for off-season, politically unstable countries to visit.

Cheaper, fewer crowds, and always surprising extras since the people living there still wanted to enjoy life - concert seasons, winter festivals, local holidays, special seasonal foods, and just breathing room after the summer crowds were gone.

As they say in Noway, there is no bad weather, only choosing the wrong clothing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Then move it to another date!  It seems to be ok to travel to Europe in October/November (see Volendam 45 day Ultimate Med and Atlantic Passage Oct 7 - Nov 21, 2025 visiting Greece, Malta, Cadiz and Gibraltar in November), but not travel to Japan in February/March?

This is more to do with maximising revenue from ship location than providing a 'World Cruise' experience.

I've been noticing how they have been extending the season on the Med!  I don't think that would be great weather wise.  Not sure I'd want to be there either at that time of year.  October possibly but I think November is stretching it a bit.

Linda R.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I've been noticing how they have been extending the season on the Med!  I don't think that would be great weather wise.  Not sure I'd want to be there either at that time of year.  October possibly but I think November is stretching it a bit.

Linda R.

I was just in the Med in November/December and the weather was very nice.  Cool days (60s) but mostly dry.  We did the Greek Islands, Italy, then southern Spain, Morocco, and TA.

• Like 2

Just now, DCThunder said:

I was just in the Med in November/December and the weather was very nice.  Cool days (60s) but mostly dry.  We did the Greek Islands, Italy, then southern Spain, Morocco, and TA.

Really!  Well, that's not too bad!

Linda R.

20 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Linda R.

I've taken several Med cruises in November, even late November and the weather was fine with the occasional rainy/cool day.

I just spent the week of Thanksgiving in Rome, followed by the Nieuw Statendam TA cruise. The weather in Rome all week was warm and wonderful, however, I've also been there in late November/early December when it can be quite rainy. Conversely, it is generally less rainy in February and March.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Really!  Well, that's not too bad!

Linda R.

The guides in Messina, Pompeii, and Sorrento were saying what a nice change this weather was from the 100 F of many days in summer 2023.

Edited by DCThunder
  • Like 1