Mumbling about Marina

ORV

Cookies! As someone who bakes and only uses butter which adds hugely to the flavour of a finished product when biscuits/cookes are made with an alternative like margarine the Cookes end up a tasteless mix of flour sugar and flavourless margarine/vegetable fat, I know which I prefer and which is the superior product. After trying once on my recent Sirena cruise never again, they didn't even bother to put a description beside the Cookes saying what flavour they were supposed to be just sugar or sugar free.

Now don't start me on the sticky buns in the buffet at breakfast!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A couple of days ago they wrapped the lower part of the food stations in Saran Wrap. It’s so tight you can barely see it. I don’t think there is a problem other than there are so many new people to Oceania that they don’t understand how it works. 

It’s almost comical seeing people trying to reach in and hitting the plastic. What is not comical is the center section with the desserts is open. Last night I saw a man reach in and touch the tart closest to him and tell the girl he wanted one. She gave him the one closest to her. I then asked her to throw away the one he touched. Should you really have to explain to people to not touch the food?

Buenos Aires today, 13 million people here.   It’s another beautiful day. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ORV said:

A couple of days ago they wrapped the lower part of the food stations in Saran Wrap. It’s so tight you can barely see it. I don’t think there is a problem other than there are so many new people to Oceania that they don’t understand how it works. 

It’s almost comical seeing people trying to reach in and hitting the plastic. What is not comical is the center section with the desserts is open. Last night I saw a man reach in and touch the tart closest to him and tell the girl he wanted one. She gave him the one closest to her. I then asked her to throw away the one he touched. Should you really have to explain to people to not touch the food?

How does the BA passenger terminal look since the wind damage last month?

On 1/25/2024 at 3:54 PM, ORV said:

Someone reported that on another thread on another cruise recently but I’ve never seen it, including last night. We got anything we asked for. Either some people are intentionally reporting wrong information, are confused, or there is another Oceania ship operating under different rules. 

I have seen the menu changed out after Happy Hour so maybe they misunderstood what they are seeing. 

Celebrity has a list for the Elites but nothing like that on Oceania. 

On Vista earlier this month, the Captains Welcome party had a very limited drink menu.  It was absurd.  The repeaters party had open bar with anything you asked for.  We cruise on Oceania often. We did notice some small changes compared to Previous cruises.  No clock, no sewing kit, and no clear soap, in cabins.  Not a big deal. I asked for sewing kit and got one.  Also, no glass of bubbly as you embark. 
I am elite plus on Celebrity. The nightly reception has a limited drink menu. It includes more than Oceania welcome menu. However, since I seldom drink, it isn’t a big deal. The cutbacks on Celebrity were enough to drive me away. Oceania is much better than Celebrity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I am elite plus on Celebrity. The nightly reception has a limited drink menu. It includes more than Oceania welcome menu. 

Since no one has confirmed that this "Oceania welcome menu" is a thing, in fact several, including myself, have experience the opposite including someone on Marina right now, I'll assume your experience was either a one off or a misunderstanding.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

On Vista earlier this month, the Captains Welcome party had a very limited drink menu.  It was absurd.  The repeaters party had open bar with anything you asked for.  We cruise on Oceania often. We did notice some small changes compared to Previous cruises.  No clock, no sewing kit, and no clear soap, in cabins.  Not a big deal. I asked for sewing kit and got one.  Also, no glass of bubbly as you embark. 
I am elite plus on Celebrity. The nightly reception has a limited drink menu. It includes more than Oceania welcome menu. However, since I seldom drink, it isn’t a big deal. The cutbacks on Celebrity were enough to drive me away. Oceania is much better than Celebrity. 

Just an FYI, Oceania has never had welcome bubbly, that’s Celebrity. Apparently quite a few things are different on Vista, as all those things you mentioned are still on Marina, except for the sewing kit. 

Yesterday when coming back on the ship they had iced towels at the gangway, which I’ve never seen on Oceania, but is a welcome touch in hot weather. It is something that Celebrity has done for years. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Last time we had the wrapping in the TC was last year on Marina when Covid struck the ship mightily. The crew soon went mandatory mask.

Be careful out there my friend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ORV said:

Just an FYI, Oceania has never had welcome bubbly, that’s Celebrity. Apparently quite a few things are different on Vista, as all those things you mentioned are still on Marina, except for the sewing kit. 

Yesterday when coming back on the ship they had iced towels at the gangway, which I’ve never seen on Oceania, but is a welcome touch in hot weather. It is something that Celebrity has done for years. 

I missed the iced towels yesterday. We have had them before on O in really hot ports. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SophieM said:

I missed the iced towels yesterday. We have had them before on O in really hot ports. 

We had the iced towels also while on Vista this past May on a few ports in Greece. 

We have had the towels since at least 2007, fantastic when in Europe in the Summer and you are sweltering. And yes, on Vista in May and October but not every cruise port. It is definitely welcomed. Sometimes in tender ports the towels were handed out on shore in the waiting area. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

On 1/26/2024 at 1:44 AM, ORV said:

Montevideo today, looking like another glorious day. 

Just curious, what did you do in port? We're going to be there in just over a month and I still haven't figured out what we'll do that day.

15 minutes ago, JYDCruise said:

Just curious, what did you do in port? We're going to be there in just over a month and I still haven't figured out what we'll do that day.

We did a wonderful tour of Montevideo, then off to visit a couple of great wineries and a grill meat lunch with the wines at one of the wineries. Private tour, I easily put together a group of eight. Tremendous day!

4 hours ago, SophieM said:

I’m not sure whether it’s inconsiderate or ignorant. 

At least we’re long past the silly posts by some lauding how Oceania passengers are so much more sophisticated and mannerly than those on other ships. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

We did a wonderful tour of Montevideo, then off to visit a couple of great wineries and a grill meat lunch with the wines at one of the wineries. Private tour, I easily put together a group of eight. Tremendous day!

Contact ryan@thewine-experience.com

you can see his website at

www.thewine-experience.com

highly recommended. Tell him hello for me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JYDCruise said:

We did a tour of the town and then went to Juanico winery with a big pile of grilled meat 🥩 for lunch. Very nice place, and enjoyed the food.  They just need to take it off the grill a little sooner. I liked Montevideo, it seemed much nicer than the areas we were in in Brazil 🇧🇷 

Maybe I’m getting senile or have somehow missed it but this is the first time in 15 years and 30 cruises I’ve seen the iced towels. 

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

Maybe I’m getting senile or have somehow missed it but this is the first time in 15 years and 30 cruises I’ve seen the iced towels. 

I hope they have them if needed on the Antarctica portion of the cruise 🔥

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

I’m going to say you just missed them.