Mumbling about Marina

ORV

3 hours ago, ORV said:

I’m getting ready to get back on the ship in a few minutes and it’s 93 degrees F. I’ll look for them.  

3 hours ago, SophieM said:

I’m going to say you just missed them.

They were definitely there when I got back, this time outside, yesterday was after the gangplank. I’ll Have to reflect on this. 

13 hours ago, ORV said:

A couple of days ago they wrapped the lower part of the food stations in Saran Wrap. It’s so tight you can barely see it. I don’t think there is a problem other than there are so many new people to Oceania that they don’t understand how it works. 

It’s almost comical seeing people trying to reach in and hitting the plastic. What is not comical is the center section with the desserts is open. Last night I saw a man reach in and touch the tart closest to him and tell the girl he wanted one. She gave him the one closest to her. I then asked her to throw away the one he touched. Should you really have to explain to people to not touch the food?

Buenos Aires today, 13 million people here.   It’s another beautiful day. 

Is this the end of this cruise? If so, will you spend some time in BA?The Italian food is SO good. And of course the beef.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:35 PM, ORV said:

Here’s some practical information about Marina, we’re in a standard balcony, there are European plugs on either side of the bed and one by the desk. There are two US plugs by the desk but they are so close you can really only use one at a time. Part of this is due to there also being a rocker style light switch with them.  What we do is bring a little plug that gives you 3 outlets from one for the US plug. You also need to bring an adapter that will allow you to access the European style plug. This is not a converter, that’s a different critter altogether. Make sure you understand what you’re plugging in is capable of handling. Apple products have no issues down converting. 

All the other ships have better setups. There are no USB outlets in this room. 

Many of you know this, but it might help some new to Oceania. On the plus side of not being refurbished yet is that 🧲 still stick to the walls. 

While we are in Brazilian waters there is an additional 25% tax on drinks and anything you buy on board. With gratuity that adds 45% to the cost of a drink. 

This is the second day and there was no mention of a Captain’s party, but it’s also a port day. I’ll update this more as I find out more. Maybe they’re waiting until we’re out of Brazilian territory as the Captain don’t like paying the extra taxes either. 

Toscano tonight, lasagna here I come. 

We always travel with adapters.  I just have to be sure my electric toothbrush isn’t plugged in with one!  We also have a European short power strip, with three outlets.  It’s important when we need to plug 2 CPAPs into a single outlet on the bed wall!  All of our electronics have bricks that handle both voltages and all of our USB plugs also do both currents.   The other most likely problems are curling irons and hairdryer!  And don’t even think about a hairdryer that has a switch for the dual voltages —- unless they’ve changed they just slowdown the blower etc.  it’s like using the dryer on the lowest settings.  

I would add that you may need more than one type of adapter depending on where you stay pre or post cruise!  And, those called universal don’t include all countries.  I did find sets of three adapters that had a simple second outlet.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, clo said:

Is this the end of this cruise? If so, will you spend some time in BA?The Italian food is SO good. And of course the beef.

No, this cruise is just getting started. 

Anyone else on this cruise that wants to add any observations or experiences feel free to add comments. 

We’re in Red Ginger again tonight. I’m going to miss most of the Chiefs game. Oh well, the outcome will be the same whether I watch it or not. 

Our room attendant went home yesterday. I’m sure this happens all the time that their contract ends mid cruise but I’ve never had it happen. 

Punte del Este Uruguay today. This is our first tender port. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a troupe of 12 singers and dancers in the Production Company. I think this is the largest I’ve seen on Oceania. I can remember when it was 4. 

On 1/22/2024 at 1:35 PM, ORV said:

Here’s some practical information about Marina, we’re in a standard balcony, there are European plugs on either side of the bed and one by the desk. There are two US plugs by the desk but they are so close you can really only use one at a time. Part of this is due to there also being a rocker style light switch with them.  What we do is bring a little plug that gives you 3 outlets from one for the US plug. You also need to bring an adapter that will allow you to access the European style plug. This is not a converter, that’s a different critter altogether. Make sure you understand what you’re plugging in is capable of handling. Apple products have no issues down converting. 

Can you describe this "European" plug a bit more so I know what type of adapter to bring

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

At least we’re long past the silly posts by some lauding how Oceania passengers are so much more sophisticated and mannerly than those on other ships. 😂

Money doesn't buy manners..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ORV said:

No, this cruise is just getting started. 

To Antarctica??? We went there on a small ship a few years ago. It was incredible. It was part of a land trip that included  Argentinian and Chilean. Began in BA and ended in Santiago, Chilean. Trip of a lifetime.

1 hour ago, bbwex said:

Can you describe this "European" plug a bit more so I know what type of adapter to bring

We’re on a tour right now. I’ll see if I can post a picture when I get back to the ship. 

11 minutes ago, clo said:

To Antarctica??? We went there on a small ship a few years ago. It was incredible. It was part of a land trip that included  Argentinian and Chilean. Began in BA and ended in Santiago, Chilean. Trip of a lifetime.

It’s a drive by, Oceania doesn’t do landings there. We end in Santiago Chile, port of San Antonio. 

15 minutes ago, ORV said:

We’re on a tour right now. I’ll see if I can post a picture when I get back to the ship. 

It’s a drive by, Oceania doesn’t do landings there. We end in Santiago Chile, port of San Antonio. 

Since pictures will be taken, I think it is fair to call it a drive by shooting. 📷

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ORV said:

It’s a drive by, Oceania doesn’t do landings there.

Right. Their ships are too large. The treaty limits size of about 500 IIRC. I understand that's it's not everyone's cup of tea.

faveiceberg.jpg

4 hours ago, bbwex said:

Here is my adapter, I’m sure there are others that work. 

Keep in mind this is an adapter, not a converter. 

IMG_0975.jpeg

IMG_0976.jpeg

IMG_0983.jpeg

• Like 1

So we ate in Red Ginger again and they knocked it out of the park. We had completely different choices than the first time and it was great. Teresa had Carmelized Tiger Shrimp & Watermelon Duck Salad. I had Vegetable Tempura and Potato Rolls for app. Mains were Twice Baked Chicken for me and Bulgogi steak for her. It was as good as we’ve ever had in Red Ginger. We have one more next week and I don’t know how they will top this. 

To top it all off for dessert the Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl……again. Amazing how our small city Midwest team can keep doing this. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, ORV said:

Watermelon Duck Salad.

That always get rave reviews but I pretty actively don't like watermelon. Should I stay away? We actually never ate at Reg Ginger cause we're not really "Asian fusion" food fans. But everyone seems to love it so much.

3 hours ago, clo said:

That always get rave reviews but I pretty actively don't like watermelon. Should I stay away? We actually never ate at Reg Ginger cause we're not really "Asian fusion" food fans. But everyone seems to love it so much.

Not my favorite. I also dont like Asian Fusion but its everywhere. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, clo said:

Yeah, I don’t like Cole Slaw or oysters. I’ve never had them.  🙄

• Haha 2

We are getting on MARINA in Santiago (San Antonio) when you disembark, and I, for one, have been looking forward to the duck and watermelon salad for a few years.  I am really glad that they still have it on the menu.

ORV: thanks for the info about the plug.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there are a lot of people coughing everywhere I go on the ship. The only insight I have to that is if you go to a public place as in the theater and tell everyone that tries to sit next to you that you are really sick and they shouldn’t sit there, then you really shouldn’t be there. You should stay in your room until you’re better. Was it Yogi Berra that said common sense isn’t so common anymore? 

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, ORV said:

Unfortunately there are a lot of people coughing everywhere I go on the ship. The only insight I have to that is if you go to a public place as in the theater and tell everyone that tries to sit next to you that you are really sick and they shouldn’t sit there, then you really shouldn’t be there. You should stay in your room until you’re better. Was it Yogi Berra that said common sense isn’t so common anymore? 

First hint was the Saran wrapped TC.

Are they monitoring everyone’s temperature yet/still? 

7 hours ago, ORV said:

Yeah, I don’t like Cole Slaw or oysters. I’ve never had them.  🙄

That's too funny! Cole slaw??? Oh my. So no chili, slaw dog for you. Sadness. Oysters? Oh my. We're in oyster heaven. You know, don't you, that they're an aphrodisiac? But only the first 11 work 🙂

3 hours ago, ORV said:

So are people not wearing masks in places like a theater? Some people will never learn.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

That's too funny! Cole slaw??? Oh my. So no chili, slaw dog for you. Sadness. Oysters? Oh my. We're in oyster heaven. You know, don't you, that they're an aphrodisiac? But only the first 11 work 🙂

I think you’re missing the point. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1