Mumbling about Marina

ORV

IMG_0947.jpeg.75b9bbcb9706fdccb9142bdb36b49d09.jpeg

IMG_0949.jpeg

IMG_0948.jpegThis is what we do, other’s have different setups, this doesn’t take up much room in the suitcase 

Edited by ORV
Text
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The VAT is for sales made on the ship. If you have pre purchased any of the packages, then there are no taxes added. If no package, then the tax is added to your bill at purchase.

A caution here, if you upgrade to the Premium Drinks Package on board, you will pay the tax on that upgrade. So for that 10 day upgrade the new cost becomes $30/day x 10 days x 1.25 VAT.

I just asked at one of the tables setup to sell the drink package if you are charged the 25% to upgrade. The answer was no. She didn’t know if they wait to charge it later but this is what I’ve seen other cruise lines do. 

There are more tables setup around the ship to sell them than there were 5 years ago. At least 4 on embarkation day. 

There is also a printout of when the Wine Bar is open and what various tastings are coming up, but it is not in Currents. It was in the pile of first day papers. And also at the upgrade tables. It also shows Privee information but no La Reserve info, but La Reserve is set up for dinner as you walk by. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

I just asked at one of the tables setup to sell the drink package if you are charged the 25% to upgrade. The answer was no. She didn’t know if they wait to charge it later but this is what I’ve seen other cruise lines do. 

There are more tables setup around the ship to sell them than there were 5 years ago. At least 4 on embarkation day. 

There is also a printout of when the Wine Bar is open and what various tastings are coming up, but it is not in Currents. It was in the pile of first day papers. And also at the upgrade tables. It also shows Privee information but no La Reserve info, but La Reserve is set up for dinner as you walk by. 

Thanks ORV. That’s not what they did in the past, trying to wait until out of Brazilian waters to make the charges, especially if they are making other stops in Brazil.

I thought this was something new but then saw there was a large TA tour on board today. I saw this for a PH also. I went in and walked around both rooms. I’d forgotten how nice those closets are in the PH

Just to be clear, this was on the wall outside the room. 

IMG_0950.jpeg

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2

I did some looking around and if a person wanted to find things to pick on and try to make the ship look bad they could. It’s 12 or 13 years old, salt and water is hard on things. Anyone that has ever owned a boat or lives close to the ocean understands these things. But So What, it’s not at all affecting my enjoyment. Thinking about those kind of things just reinforces my feelings that there are those that set out to be a “Critic”. Don’t forget this as you read reviews. 

Meanwhile it’s rained the last two days. It’d be nice to see some sunshine before we get to the cooler days. 

I’ve had the Humphrey Sloclumbe every day. After School Special, Meyer Lemon and Elvis the Fat years so far. Single scoop as it’s a long cruise and there are other sweets, but haven’t really found a good cookie 🍪 yet. 

Did I mention service has been great pretty much everywhere?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ORV said:

Thinking about those kind of things just reinforces my feelings that there are those that set out to be a “Critic”.

Amen. They need to remind themselves that they could be home cooking and doing chores.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I did some looking around and if a person wanted to find things to pick on and try to make the ship look bad they could. It’s 12 or 13 years old, salt and water is hard on things. Anyone that has ever owned a boat or lives close to the ocean understands these things. But So What, it’s not at all affecting my enjoyment. Thinking about those kind of things just reinforces my feelings that there are those that set out to be a “Critic”. Don’t forget this as you read reviews. 

Meanwhile it’s rained the last two days. It’d be nice to see some sunshine before we get to the cooler days. 

I’ve had the Humphrey Sloclumbe every day. After School Special, Meyer Lemon and Elvis the Fat years so far. Single scoop as it’s a long cruise and there are other sweets, but haven’t really found a good cookie 🍪 yet. 

That reminds me to lose 5 pounds so I can gain it back in May. 😉

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

That reminds me to lose 5 pounds so I can gain it back in May. 😉

I've never gained weight on a cruise because of all the healthy choices. And I'm not really a dessert fan. Except for creme brulee in Jacques 🙂

10 minutes ago, clo said:

I've never gained weight on a cruise because of all the healthy choices. And I'm not really a dessert fan. Except for creme brulee in Jacques 🙂

Bread and cheese makes me balloon. Easy to remove with fiber/salads, but like to "be prepared".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ORV said:

What a fantastic attitude!

Sometimes I come back from a a great cruise and read reviews titled "Cruise to Hell", and I'm starting to question my memory and my sanity. Were we on the same cruise?

We always embarked with the attitude that we would have a good time and we always did. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We always embarked with the attitude that we would have a good time and we always did. 

Hear Hear.

• Like 1

Tonight is Captain’s Welcome party, the 4th night of the cruise and interestingly enough when we are leaving Brazilian waters. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Tonight is Captain’s Welcome party, the 4th night of the cruise and interestingly enough when we are leaving Brazilian waters. 

Maybe the Captain didn't want that 25% Brazilian tax added to his bar tab. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Was there a specific party drinks list ?

No, you can order anything you want from the bar. Waiters were also circulating with trays of red and white wines and champagne. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Was there a specific party drinks list ?

Someone reported that on another thread on another cruise recently but I’ve never seen it, including last night. We got anything we asked for. Either some people are intentionally reporting wrong information, are confused, or there is another Oceania ship operating under different rules. 

I have seen the menu changed out after Happy Hour so maybe they misunderstood what they are seeing. 

Celebrity has a list for the Elites but nothing like that on Oceania. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/23/2024 at 8:44 AM, ORV said:

We really have enjoyed several Marina cruises but the cookies have been poor to awful every time. Is thisMarina specific or are the cookies bad on all O ships?

IMHO, the cookies are less sweet, more European style with less sugar and the chocolate is not as sweet either. Are they bad, not really but if they are not to your taste, consider them Weight Watcher approved to help you minimize point consumption/Calories. After all, there is another dining experience available within hours. 
As a last resort you can try some as a mid afternoon snack or at Tea in Horizons. They can be consumed as a filler or even, HORRORS, dunked in your tea 😇

Life on Oceania is such a challenge 🤪🙏👍🤞

Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, kahuna21 said:

We really have enjoyed several Marina cruises but the cookies have been poor to awful every time. Is thisMarina specific or are the cookies bad on all O ships?

'I think part of it is you need to be sure you don’t get the sugar free cookies. 😜

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

IMHO, the cookies are less sweet, more European style with less sugar and the chocolate is not as sweet either. Are they bad, not really but if they are not to your taste, consider them Weight Watcher approved to help you minimize point consumption/Calories. After all, there is another dining experience available within hours. 

I noticed the less sweet taste for baked goods on Vista's new "bake while you watch" area next to Baristas. All of the baked goods were not to my taste...less sugar, less flavorful IMHO...more of a quality, subtle taste, perhaps, in the opinion of others. 🤔

• Like 1

I’ve noticed in the GDR they’ve sandwiched some 2 top tables into spots that didn’t use to have them there.  Some almost in walkways. We sat at a couple of them in the last day or so. I’m sure this is due to post Covid concerns and increased requests. 

We won about $100 playing a couple of slots 🎰 yesterday. I’m sure they will get it back before the cruise is over. 

Yesterday was a sea day. I noticed around 10:30 there were still some loungers available. After that not so much. Wasn’t by there early enough to see if there were reserved spots. I’m sure there were. 

Montevideo today, looking like another glorious day. 

• Like 3

There seem to be more Germans on this cruise than any I’ve been on before. I’ll try to find the breakdown later. But they might outnumber the Aussies that are generally 4th. 

• Like 1

Pet peeve 

People that don’t understand or don’t care that the front seats on the bus 🚌 are for those that are mobility impaired. Really!

• Like 8