Mumbling about Marina

ORV

Don’t expect much in the way of a live review. I don’t do conventional. Just random observations.

While having my lunch I was approached by someone that asked if we wanted to dine in a speciality tonight. We said sure and he offered Toscana. I said we have it tomorrow night. How about Red Ginger? No problem, 2 for 6:30. So as pointed out many times, don’t waste your picks on the first night. 

I could have missed that by boarding later and having a local lunch, but I’ve seen enough of Rio. 

My cheese burger in Terrace was delicious. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

Don’t expect much in the way of a live review. I don’t do conventional. Just random observations.

While having my lunch I was approached by someone that asked if we wanted to dine in a speciality tonight. We said sure and he offered Toscana. I said we have it tomorrow night. How about Red Ginger? No problem, 2 for 6:30. So as pointed out many times, don’t waste your picks on the first night. 

I could have missed that by boarding later and having a local lunch, but I’ve seen enough of Rio. 

My cheese burger in Terrace was delicious. 

Have a great cruise and don't drink all the Oban, please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ORV said:

but I’ve seen enough of Rio. 

Go to lunch with us in Rio and we'll find great stuff for you. Not to mention perfect caipirinha.

feijoada the deck 616.JPG

• Like 4

I don’t know what’s wrong with those folks that are up in arms about not wanting to cruise on Marina because it hasn’t had it’s update and won’t get the same as Riviera. It still looks great. Our B4 is in excellent shape. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, clo said:

Go to lunch with us in Rio and we'll find great stuff for you. Not to mention perfect caipirinha.

feijoada the deck 616.JPG

Probably won’t ever come back here again.  But enjoy your trips here. 

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

I don’t know what’s wrong with those folks that are up in arms about not wanting to cruise on Marina because it hasn’t had it’s update and won’t get the same as Riviera. It still looks great. Our B4 is in excellent shape. 

In fairness, most folks on this site are up in arms about pretty much anything. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 23

11 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Have they upgraded the WiFi?

We were on Marina in October, our first O cruise. We were expecting it to be terrible. My husband's description was that it was useless, frustrating and worse than had been described here on CC.

The ship was wonderful, as expected. Have 2 other cruises booked on the future refurbished with better wifi version of Marina.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Probably won’t ever come back here again.  But enjoy your trips here. 

We sold our apt there a few years ago and I really miss it. But we've gotten back a couple of times, once pre-post.

4 hours ago, clo said:

We sold our apt there a few years ago and I really miss it. But we've gotten back a couple of times, once pre-post.

Oop, pre-cruise.

Our dinner in Red Ginger was great. Service was great, no issues getting wine service. We shared the To Share app and my wife had the Sole Tempura and I had the Bulgogi Ribeye. Both were as excellent as we’ve ever had in RG. 

• Like 6

Same on Riviera, specialty restaurants are available if you are willing to share. Just ask at the reservation desk. We were asked also as we entered the main dining room. Our ship is only about 80% full now, probably no so easy when ship is full. Riviera has the upgraded wifi, but doesn't seem any faster then pre- StarLink internet. Maybe it's because 2 logins per cabin are allowed?

Edited by pmatawan
Typo

I don’t know the status of the current WiFi setup on Marina, but it’s working, I’m posting, we’ll try to post a picture later. 

• Like 1

Here’s some practical information about Marina, we’re in a standard balcony, there are European plugs on either side of the bed and one by the desk. There are two US plugs by the desk but they are so close you can really only use one at a time. Part of this is due to there also being a rocker style light switch with them.  What we do is bring a little plug that gives you 3 outlets from one for the US plug. You also need to bring an adapter that will allow you to access the European style plug. This is not a converter, that’s a different critter altogether. Make sure you understand what you’re plugging in is capable of handling. Apple products have no issues down converting. 

All the other ships have better setups. There are no USB outlets in this room. 

Many of you know this, but it might help some new to Oceania. On the plus side of not being refurbished yet is that 🧲 still stick to the walls. 

While we are in Brazilian waters there is an additional 25% tax on drinks and anything you buy on board. With gratuity that adds 45% to the cost of a drink. 

This is the second day and there was no mention of a Captain’s party, but it’s also a port day. I’ll update this more as I find out more. Maybe they’re waiting until we’re out of Brazilian territory as the Captain don’t like paying the extra taxes either. 

Toscano tonight, lasagna here I come. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, ORV said:

While we are in Brazilian waters there is an additional 25% tax on drinks and anything you buy on board. With gratuity that adds 45% to the cost of a drink. 

Wow, if you have the Prestige Select beverage package is that extra cost absorbed or doe O add it to your bill?                                  

5 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Wow, if you have the Prestige Select beverage package is that extra cost absorbed or doe O add it to your bill?                                  

The VAT is for sales made on the ship. If you have pre purchased any of the packages, then there are no taxes added. If no package, then the tax is added to your bill at purchase.

A caution here, if you upgrade to the Premium Drinks Package on board, you will pay the tax on that upgrade. So for that 10 day upgrade the new cost becomes $30/day x 10 days x 1.25 VAT.

• Thanks 2

On 1/21/2024 at 10:53 AM, ORV said:

Great..I thought that would be the case..doing the spring T/A Enjoy!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORV said:

All the other ships have better setups. There are no USB outlets in this room. 

Thanks.

Our last trip was on Riviera and the outlets / USB set up worked well for us.

Our next trip is on Marina (post dry dock).

If you hear of any outlet / USB upgrade plans for Marina please let us know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

If you hear of any outlet / USB upgrade plans for Marina please let us know.

From an NCL press release, Nov '23:  "The Penthouse Suites … more outlets and USB ports."

No mention of USB in top suites or steerage, but….

• Thanks 1