Help with Manhattan Cruise Port

Trying to figure out what is best!  Flying into LaGuardia Friday night Oct 11 for embarkation on 10/12.  Want inexpensive hotel not planning on site seeing. Should we stay near airport and Uber to cruise terminal Saturday morning OR take Uber Friday evening and stay in NJ with free hotel shuttle to port. Not sure which will be easier and most economical.  

35 minutes ago, highcountrycruiser said:

Trying to figure out what is best!  Flying into LaGuardia Friday night Oct 11 for embarkation on 10/12.  Want inexpensive hotel not planning on site seeing. Should we stay near airport and Uber to cruise terminal Saturday morning OR take Uber Friday evening and stay in NJ with free hotel shuttle to port. Not sure which will be easier and most economical.  

I'm assuming for whatever reason Newark isn't an option? It's "probably" six of one and half a dozen of the other. That's a holiday weekend (Columbus Day) so there's a risk of surge pricing on Friday night, but you likely won't know that until you get there. Ease is probably the same. If you stay near LGA you may be able to get a hotel shuttle and only have one Uber on Saturday morning. My gut would be to get close to the terminal on Friday, but it "might" be more economical to stay near the airport.

If you are cruising out of Manhattan, why would you fly into LGA and then stay in NJ? You'll be spending more time in transport.

I'd just stay by the airport, then Uber to the port in the morning.

Just re-reading your post. Are you cruising from Manhattan or Cape Liberty? The thread title is Manhattan but you're first post is New Jersey. No reason to go to New Jersey if you're leaving from Manhattan. There won't be any free shuttles in Manhattan.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 10:16 PM, Got2Cruise said:

Doubletree Long Island City Queens shows $185 for the night. If you are leaving from Manhattan Cruise Terminal this is a good property and location. 

Hi ! 
Is this a good place to stay if we come in early and do want to sight see ? Their website says they are close to subway and attractions. 
Thanks 😊 

5 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

Hi ! 
Is this a good place to stay if we come in early and do want to sight see ? Their website says they are close to subway and attractions. 
Thanks 😊 

It’s in the borough of Queens. It’s right under the East River and you’ll be in Manhattan. It’s good if you’re on a budget. 

Of course it’s more convenient to stay in Manhattan. Compare the rates for when you’re visiting. 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

It’s in the borough of Queens. It’s right under the East River and you’ll be in Manhattan. It’s good if you’re on a budget. 

Of course it’s more convenient to stay in Manhattan. Compare the rates for when you’re visiting. 

“…under the East River…” ?   Sounds unusual, but the fact that it is “…good if you’re on a budget.” raises some question.

lol. If you are a true NYer you know what I’m taking about. But I’ll translate. 

it’s a short subway ride under the East River. Queens is on the other side of the narrow East River. 

I don’t understand why you don’t feel it’s a good place to stay if you’re on a budget. Museum of Moving Image blocks away. Safe area. Less than $100 per night or more than Manhattan. 

4 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

lol. If you are a true NYer you know what I’m taking about. But I’ll translate. 

it’s a short subway ride under the East River. Queens is on the other side of the narrow East River. 

I don’t understand why you don’t feel it’s a good place to stay if you’re on a budget. Museum of Moving Image blocks away. Safe area. Less than $100 per night or more than Manhattan. 

Thank you for the reply. I am seriously considering This because I just can’t stomach $500 plus a night. We would come into the city and spend the day and head back when we’re done for the day. Same for the second day. 
Jen

21 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

Thank you for the reply. I am seriously considering This because I just can’t stomach $500 plus a night. We would come into the city and spend the day and head back when we’re done for the day. Same for the second day. 
Jen

If you list your exact dates and bedding needs and max budget per night we might be able to suggest something in Manhattan.

TripAdvisor has MANY experts on the NYC board who do this all the time.  LIC is great as a lower cost alternative, and is close to midtown, but there is something special about stepping out of your hotel and BEING in Manhattan that you don't get this way

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

September 25-27, 2024

Two adults One Bed

I really don’t want to spend more than $350 a night. Unrealistic probably, but it is what it is. 

Thanks 

Jen

Are you a AAA member? Or any other affiliation?

Element New York Times Square West. Marriott Property. Studio King, AAA rate, all in (taxes included, and I believe breakfast) for $355/night. Cancellable. You'll need a AAA number to book that rate. That's the only Marriott property I see in Manhattan for that time period anywhere near that price.

It "suggests" you might be better off than most of us think, and you should also check Hilton, for instance. But if you are AAA and can book that, do it and then keep looking and thinking.