Auto Grats - how they are allocated/shared

the penguins

As this question continues to be raised on numerous threads in various different ways please find below the current daily charges and how the money is allocated.

The list is and always has been available on request at Guest Relations on every ship.

Should you choose to reduce the level (we would never do it) the reduction is split pro rata across the whole e.g.. you can't just reduce the cabin stewards element.

Dining is the waiter/assistant waiter.

House keeping is the cabin steward

Other hotel services include the laundry staff and cleaners.

Somelliers, bar and Al Bacio are  are not included as they get 20%grats from every sale

Hope this clarifies the issue.

CelebrityGrats-2023.thumb.jpg.910d64caca1858ca47343173f7bf19f5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Seems to me you've fabricated an issue to launch yet another tipping thread.

I am sorry you think that.

I was hoping to achieve the opposite.

On recent threads in answer to new cruisers questions people have replied that; nobody knows the answer, tips are shared, etc etc.. none of which are  correct.

My Post doesn't need a response it's just factual information that people can keep for future reference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I am sorry you think that.

I was hoping to achieve the opposite.

On recent threads in answer to new cruisers questions people have replied that; nobody knows the answer, tips are shared, etc etc.. none of which are  correct.

My Post doesn't need a response it's just factual information that people can keep for future reference.

If the mods would make you screen shot a sticky and if people would actual look there than it is  a great post 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If the mods would make you screen shot a sticky and if people would actual look there than it is  a great post 😁

I have no idea what a sticky is but I would be delighted if there was a way of making the details readily available.

4 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I have no idea what a sticky is but I would be delighted if there was a way of making the details readily available.

Sticky or pin thread , the threads that are on page one at the top , eg the ones I circled 

They need to make one drink packages 

IMG_6772.thumb.jpeg.6377cb25aea94b9f9658e0f75bbbd770.jpeg

Why are customers so interested in this?  The fascination with the compensation of cruise line employees seems odd to me.  After all, there isn't this type of discussion about how a restaurant, hair salon, hotel or other service industry allocates gratuities where some employees are compensated, in whole or in part, by tips.

If the level of service onboard fails to meet expectations such that the passenger believes a 20% gratuity is excessive, it is up to that passenger how to address it.  That could include, in their discretion, reducing or even eliminating the gratuity.  How they choose to handle such service failures is nobody's business but their own. 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When crew members are tipped in cash (whether over and along with the auto tips or instead of the autotips when the cruiser had the tips removed) is that crew member required to report it and would that money get pooled with other employees?  

If tips are reduced or eliminated does that reflect poorly on those employees associated with the guest?  Is the assumption if the gratuities are reduced that one or more of the employees did a sub par job and would they all be punished (in their reviews) for the reduction or elimination of the auto gratuities?

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Sticky or pin thread , the threads that are on page one at the top , eg the ones I circled 

They need to make one drink packages 

IMG_6772.thumb.jpeg.6377cb25aea94b9f9658e0f75bbbd770.jpeg

sounds great if you know how to contact the Mods I would be more than happy.

2 minutes ago, the penguins said:

sounds great if you know how to contact the Mods I would be more than happy.

The only contact in have with mods is when they suspend me  a couple days 😉

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

42 minutes ago, alexandria said:

Why are customers so interested in this?  The fascination with the compensation of cruise line employees seems odd to me.  After all, there isn't this type of discussion about how a restaurant, hair salon, hotel or other service industry allocates gratuities where some employees are compensated, in whole or in part, by tips.

If the level of service onboard fails to meet expectations such that the passenger believes a 20% gratuity is excessive, it is up to that passenger how to address it.  That could include, in their discretion, reducing or even eliminating the gratuity.  How they choose to handle such service failures is nobody's business but their own. 😎

new passengers often post asking what/who their daily tips cover and receive conflicting advice. My aim was simply to clarify exactly how the system work.. How each individual then chooses to use that information is indeed a matter of personal choice.

32 minutes ago, tschwa2 said:

When crew members are tipped in cash (whether over and along with the auto tips or instead of the autotips when the cruiser had the tips removed) is that crew member required to report it and would that money get pooled with other employees?  

If tips are reduced or eliminated does that reflect poorly on those employees associated with the guest?  Is the assumption if the gratuities are reduced that one or more of the employees did a sub par job and would they all be punished (in their reviews) for the reduction or elimination of the auto gratuities?

the simple answer, as I hoped I had made clear, was if you reduce the auto tips the reduction is spread pro rata across all crew in the scheme. You can't for example just reduce the room stewards element. If you cancel totally it's impossible to individually tip everyone covered by the scheme for example laundry staff of cloakroom cleaners.

30 minutes ago, the penguins said:

new passengers often post asking what/who their daily tips cover and receive conflicting advice. My aim was simply to clarify exactly how the system work.. How each individual then chooses to use that information is indeed a matter of personal choice.

23 minutes ago, the penguins said:

the simple answer, as I hoped I had made clear, was if you reduce the auto tips the reduction is spread pro rata across all crew in the scheme. You can't for example just reduce the room stewards element. If you cancel totally it's impossible to individually tip everyone covered by the scheme for example laundry staff of cloakroom cleaners.

This used to be more readily available. Not sure if people appreciated the explanation when it was easily found online, or it just confused them. And I find Americans who live in a tipping culture can be just as easily confused as Brits, Aussies, etc., who don't.

The part that probably needs to be bolded is that you can't simply remove or reduce gratuities for an individual or class of individual. And if you try, the remaining gratuity is just going to be spread thinner. And that almost certainly is also true for cash tips if gratuities have been reduced or removed.

15 minutes ago, sweep2907 said:

Great post and informative. Exactly why gratuities should never be removed.

Why, exactly, is that the case and how would the published distribution of gratuties figure into whether a person should choose to remove them?

11 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Why, exactly, is that the case and how would the published distribution of gratuties figure into whether a person should choose to remove them?

Many times, people remove the auto gratuities and then (say they will) tip the people who helped make a great cruise. The breakdown shows it's impossible to do that because many workers are behind the scenes and a passenger would never be able to find them to tip them.

But as someone notes above, do what you want. It's none of anyone's business.

Curious who is in the pool for Suite Services? Butlers, room attendants, concierges??? or if any of those folks are covered instead by the housekeeping pool.

And before anyone asks why - knowing what they receive makes it easier to determine how much more to give for service deserving of an additional tip

28 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

Curious who is in the pool for Suite Services? Butlers, room attendants, concierges??? or if any of those folks are covered instead by the housekeeping pool.

And before anyone asks why - knowing what they receive makes it easier to determine how much more to give for service deserving of an additional tip

the cabin steward is the $5.89 figure.

Who the $4.09 "Suite Services" covers/includes I have no idea. Hopefully someone who books suites can enlighten us - otherwise I am afraid you will have to ask onboard and then post the result. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Many times, people remove the auto gratuities and then (say they will) tip the people who helped make a great cruise. The breakdown shows it's impossible to do that because many workers are behind the scenes and a passenger would never be able to find them to tip them.

But as someone notes above, do what you want. It's none of anyone's business.

a perfect explanation. 

On 1/23/2024 at 2:56 PM, the penguins said:

Who the $4.09 "Suite Services" covers/includes I have no idea. Hopefully someone who books suites can enlighten us

I am on Silhouette now (sadly leaving tomorrow).  I was told by guest services that the $4.09 for suite services is for the butler.

Although not directly spoken about in this thread, I was also told that any cash given to a crew member is kept by that crew member and not pooled.  

I have heard before that it was pooled in some areas, so not sure for certain!