Predicted demographic on Celebrity Edge December for a 10 day cruise (departing Sydney)

Looking at this Cruise having a wide ranging set of requirements due to our love of good food and a young child.

I was wondering opinions what you would expect the demographic to be?

I was wondering if it would be more Families with Kids due to December, school holidays & the shortish length. despite the usual demo being 60's , 70's with almost no kids.

It's hard to opt for a line targeted for families when most recent reviews (such as Royal carribean) say the food quality has dropped. (and was already just OK)

Thank you in advance for your answers.

If you look at any cruise line's forum here on Cruise Critic you'll undoubtedly find in the first few pages at least one thread decrying the decline of food quality on that line, and Celebrity is no exception to that rule. Since food really is so subjective I would focus my search on a cruise line that would meet the needs of the young child, because if said child should become bored with things it could make the trip miserable. Celebrity's demographic might change a little bit because of the things that you list, but I wouldn't expect a huge shift.

• Like 1

Celebrity's primary demographic is adults (45+, but not 60's - 70's as you suggest).  But not families.  There will likely be children on any given itinerary as well and there is a children's program for them with Celebrity. But certainly in far less numbers than RCCL. And although during a Holiday season, IMO 10 days is not necessarily short, and may attract less children than shorter itineraries.  

However their ships have none of the whistles and bells and activity venues oriented towards families with children as with RCCL (or NCL), as that is their target demographics.  Celebrity is much more of a basic cruise experience versus what has often been described with RCCL as "floating amusement parks".

Food is always a very subjective issue and I would not classify RCCL as not being good.  But we have cruised both RCCL (when our family was young) and Celebrity (now that they are adults) extensively and IMO and experience, the food quality, both in the MDR and several of their specialty restaurants, is better on Celebrity than with RCCL.  But again, that is just my opinion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Thanks for responses.

Our logic is we will spend 4 hours a day roughly eating and not that much using the amusements. We can definitely entertain the little one with board and card games and just the general fun of the ship cruise itself. But we can't cook the food ourselves.

11 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Celebrity's primary demographic is adults (45+, but not 60's - 70's as you suggest).

That's debatable depending on the sailing and itinerary. On My Jan.14th Ascent sailing, a 7 day Caribbean, the majority or the passengers were between 50-75. On my Dec.6th sailing of the NCL Viva, also a 7 day Caribbean cruise, the average age probably was 35-60.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kwokpot said:

That's debatable depending on the sailing and itinerary. On My Jan.14th Ascent sailing, a 7 day Caribbean, the majority or the passengers were between 50-75. On my Dec.6th sailing of the NCL Viva, also a 7 day Caribbean cruise, the average age probably was 35-60.

Yes, demographic (age) mix can vary on any ship and itinerary.  I'm only saying what Celebrity's primary target demographics is - adults (not families with children), and probably more accurately 50+ v 45+.  But I should have clarified that it is not seniors.  That primarily would be HAL, etc. But certainly that 50+ category can include the age group you reference.

And the NCL age group is also probably accurate but their target demographics is families with children, as with RCCL.  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 6:54 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Celebrity's primary demographic is adults (45+, but not 60's - 70's as you suggest).  But not families.  There will likely be children on any given itinerary as well and there is a children's program for them with Celebrity. But certainly in far less numbers than RCCL. And although during a Holiday season, IMO 10 days is not necessarily short, and may attract less children than shorter itineraries.  

However their ships have none of the whistles and bells and activity venues oriented towards families with children as with RCCL (or NCL), as that is their target demographics.  Celebrity is much more of a basic cruise experience versus what has often been described with RCCL as "floating amusement parks".

Food is always a very subjective issue and I would not classify RCCL as not being good.  But we have cruised both RCCL (when our family was young) and Celebrity (now that they are adults) extensively and IMO and experience, the food quality, both in the MDR and several of their specialty restaurants, is better on Celebrity than with RCCL.  But again, that is just my opinion.

Have you taken cruises in the Caribbean?  Maybe their targeted demographic is 45+, but...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Have you taken cruises in the Caribbean?  Maybe their targeted demographic is 45+, but...

Yes I have taken many Celebrity cruises in the Caribbean.  And I corrected myself that their primary demographics is 50+ adults - not 45+.  I know this from industry connections and it is correct. You can also Google it.

Just as RCCL and NCL primary demographics is families with children.  HAL is seniors, Virgin is adults only, no children, etc. 

That doesn't mean that any or all other ages and mixes wouldn't be on board any given itinerary.  But their ships are designed for, cater to, and target adults at 50+ as their primary demographics.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 4:21 PM, FiguringOutCruising said:

Looking at this Cruise having a wide ranging set of requirements due to our love of good food and a young child.

I was wondering opinions what you would expect the demographic to be?

I was wondering if it would be more Families with Kids due to December, school holidays & the shortish length. despite the usual demo being 60's , 70's with almost no kids.

It's hard to opt for a line targeted for families when most recent reviews (such as Royal carribean) say the food quality has dropped. (and was already just OK)

Thank you in advance for your answers.

We're actually booked on this cruise departing Dec 10, 2024.  One reason we chose it was because it's not sailing during school holiday time, which starts I believe 14 Dec in SA/QLD, 20 Dec in VIC and 23 Dec in NSW.  We've found previously that the cruise ships are not busy in the few weeks leading up to Christmas, maybe because people are too busy shopping, work functions and general prep for the Xmas day.  I would tend to agree with the others here - there are families onboard but the price point is not for the larger family groups.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcalv said:

We're actually booked on this cruise departing Dec 10, 2024.  One reason we chose it was because it's not sailing during school holiday time, which starts I believe 14 Dec in SA/QLD, 20 Dec in VIC and 23 Dec in NSW.  We've found previously that the cruise ships are not busy in the few weeks leading up to Christmas, maybe because people are too busy shopping, work functions and general prep for the Xmas day.  I would tend to agree with the others here - there are families onboard but the price point is not for the larger family groups.

Ahh that's useful , It varies school to school in S.A. 👍