dumb airport/port question for restaurants (Newark port/airport)

So we are getting in early in the morning and it will be a few hours before we can do anything at the port in Newark in late May.

We will obviously want breakfast but won't be able to do that in the airport.  I don't know how things are in other airports but in Southern CA airports the restaurants are all by the gates.  Once we get off the aircraft we will have to go get our bags and there is never any restaurants by baggage claim (and obviously won't be able to get back up by the gates.)

Any one have any recommendations?  Things to do?  Restaurant nearby for breakfast?  If we wanted to hang out in the airport what happens to our unclaimed bag at baggage claim?

If we got to the port early is there a restaurant or lounge thing nearby or at the port?  

We also have a special needs teenager with us so they promised us early check in /boarding.

Thanks in advance

27 minutes ago, Minuet888 said:

So we are getting in early in the morning and it will be a few hours before we can do anything at the port in Newark in late May...We will obviously want breakfast but won't be able to do that in the airport...Any one have any recommendations?  Things to do?  Restaurant nearby for breakfast? 

The port is Cape Liberty in Bayonne, the airport is in Newark and not a place you will want to wait until boarding your ship.

There is nothing at CL. Closest food options to CL is a minimum 2 miles away, uncertain as to their hours of operation. Try the Broadway Diner at 1075 Broadway in Bayonne. Open 24 hours and 3 miles from CL.

5 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

So we are getting in early in the morning and it will be a few hours before we can do anything at the port in Newark in late May.

We will obviously want breakfast but won't be able to do that in the airport.  I don't know how things are in other airports but in Southern CA airports the restaurants are all by the gates.  Once we get off the aircraft we will have to go get our bags and there is never any restaurants by baggage claim (and obviously won't be able to get back up by the gates.)

Any one have any recommendations?  Things to do?  Restaurant nearby for breakfast?  If we wanted to hang out in the airport what happens to our unclaimed bag at baggage claim?

If we got to the port early is there a restaurant or lounge thing nearby or at the port?  

We also have a special needs teenager with us so they promised us early check in /boarding.

Thanks in advance

Couple of suggestions.  If airport food areas are open before leaving secured area, just eat there as it takes a while for luggage anyway.  I don't know how long you plan to eat but you should be ok.  I wouldn't be more than 20-30 minutes.  Also, have no idea how you are getting to port or how big your family is but you always uber or lyft to a restaurant/diner and then take a 2nd uber to port.  We actually did this in San Juan and in Miami when we had an early arrival at 8am both times.  Of course it was just the 2 of us but both eateries were pretty nice about us keeping our 4 suitcases to the side.  You can always Yelp and call any place to see.

Maybe check out courtyard Marriott at the airport for breakfast.  You could uber or maybe shuttle as they are located in the middle of airport parking lots.   Or uber to Broadway Diner as mentioned above then uber to the cruise port around 10 am is.

There is nothing to do at the cruise port and terminal to sit inside probably won't open before 10 am for new guests.

I think the broadway diner would work, glad to see some 24/7 diners left, COVID really ruined that! Otherwise, see what dining options are by your gate, check the hours. Your luggage should be fine.

• Host Carolyn locked, unlocked, locked and unlocked this topic
12 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

We will obviously want breakfast but won't be able to do that in the airport.  I don't know how things are in other airports but in Southern CA airports the restaurants are all by the gates.

There are a bunch of Dunkin Donuts pre security at all EWR terminals near baggage claim and there is a full service restaurant/bar in Terminal B (although not sure how excited I would be to go here early in the morning after a redeye). 

Your bags will end up in the unclaimed area that's usually adjacent to the baggage claim and is where you would also pick up oversized bags like skis or golf clubs. Not sure I would really want to let my bags circle the drain for an hour and then end up in the lost and found but thats where they would go. 

There is a full service Marriott that is on airport property right in the middle of the terminals. Regular shuttle service. Don't get me wrong-- I love the diner recommendation but once you've finished eating you are stuck at a diner in Bayonne. At least with the hotel there is a place to store your bags, lounge to sit and relax, etc in addition to breakfast. Especially travelling with your special needs teenager-- you'll have room here to spread out a bit and relax where you won't have that at a diner. 

There is literally nothing by the port-- it is in a container ship industrial area.