what are these luggage tags??

I've seen these luggage tag holders on amazon.  I assume these are the luggage tags we are supposed to printout for when we get to the port and they take our luggage?

What do the symbols and numbers and letters all mean on the tags?

Amazon.com | Highwind Cruise Luggage Tag Holder for Suitcases | Compatible with Celebrity 2022 Royal Caribbean Luggage Tag Holders Travel Essentials Cruise Lanyard - 4 Pack | Luggage Tags

Royal has your luggage tags with you travel documents on line. You need to print them off. You then fold them and stable them to your bags before boarding. 
the Amazon holders are nice you can put the tag inside and attach to your bags but they are not required.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, volk904 said:

Royal has your luggage tags with you travel documents on line. You need to print them off. You then fold them and stable them to your bags before boarding. 
the Amazon holders are nice you can put the tag inside and attach to your bags but they are not required.  

The biggest number is what deck you are on. The picture shows what part of the ship. Your cabin # is on it if you have been assigned one. It is added on to the deck number.Looking at the one on the right it is deck 8, room 8831. There is also the day the ship embarks and your crown and anchor status at the bottom.

Edited by Jussabitconfused
Missing info

We just get them at the pier from the luggage handlers or at some ports RCI has a desk set up and you can easily get them from the staff there. Their the same as airline tags. Just write your name and cabin number on them and you're good to go.

If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks to receive them TEMU.COM has a pack of 12 for $3.98.

Usually takes about 10 - 14 days to get the package.

I know some people don't trust TEMU. However, I have never had a problem with them. I order from them regularly.

• Like 2

We're going on a family cruise and a few of the family members don't travel much at all and have never been on a cruise. My wife and I have/use the luggage tag holders. I think it's a lot more convenient than trying to tape/staple the printed copies to our luggage. I just bought a bunch of these from Amazon. I'm going to hand them out to the family. 

• Like 2

The pictures in the Amazon link you posted show the luggage tag holders with printed tags in them for display purposes.  The various things on the printed tags help luggage handlers get your luggage to the correct part of the ship and then to the hallway outside of your cabin.

The luggage tags for your specific cruise will become available when you get close to your cruise, and you can print them at home (or work 🤷‍♂️)

You will receive empty tag holders (heavy duty plastic with a ziploc type closure) and small steel cables with a threaded barrel closure.

When your luggage tags are available to print, you print them and insert them into the holders.  This is a more secure way of attaching the luggage tags to your bags as opposed to folding the printed paper then stapling or taping the ends together.

We use holders and like them, however they are not necessary.  Every cruise, hundreds and hundreds of bags use the fold and staple/tape method and are just fine.

I use luggage tag holders from Alaska Airlines. They fit any kind of identifying luggage tags. I always print out several copies of the luggage tags for my cruises. I place the tags in the holders after I arrive in the embarkation port city.

We have those very ones.  Virtually indestructible.  Secured very well with the threaded twist barrel. 

We got the 8 pack and gave 2 away as Christmas presents...With the luggage tag included... 🙂

Edited by bgoff60
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, bgoff60 said:

We have those very ones.  Virtually indestructible.  Secured very well with the threaded twist barrel. 

We got the 8 pack and gave 2 away as Christmas presents...With the luggage tag included... 🙂

Was it a surprise? If so, what a cool way to let someone know they are booked on a cruise.

• Like 3

Ours have been used for 35+ cruises and are in perfect condition. The tag holders you are looking at are the narrow version that fits Royal and Celebrity.  Some cruise lines use wider tags (Carnival and Princess). If you purchase the wider version of the holders, they can be used for all cruise lines. I purchased the narrow ones first, then needed the wider ones. The wide tag holders stay on our luggage permanently, with the narrow ones never used. 

On 1/28/2024 at 9:33 PM, Minuet888 said:

I've seen these luggage tag holders on amazon.  I assume these are the luggage tags we are supposed to printout for when we get to the port and they take our luggage?

What do the symbols and numbers and letters all mean on the tags?

Amazon.com | Highwind Cruise Luggage Tag Holder for Suitcases | Compatible with Celebrity 2022 Royal Caribbean Luggage Tag Holders Travel Essentials Cruise Lanyard - 4 Pack | Luggage Tags

Those aren't luggage tags ... they're luggage tag HOLDERS.  If you order them, you'll still need to print luggage tags for each cruise, but you can slide them into these protective holders.  I'm sure they're nice, but they're not necessary.  

Personally, I have a small laminator machine at home, and I laminate my tags.  Works great and costs about a dime to laminate three tags.  

The colors, symbols and numbers are "code" for the porters (and wait staff, who also deliver luggage), who place your suitcase on the right tram to arrive on the right floor /right quadrant.  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Personally, I have a small laminator machine at home, and I laminate my tags.  Works great and costs about a dime to laminate three tags.  

Same here. I've been self-laminating the luggage tags for years and it works great though some folks likely feel it's a bit too much effort. I punch a hole in the top of the laminated tag and use a cable tie to attach it to the luggage just before leaving for the port. Never had a tag get torn or broken off during hand off to the porters and delivery to the cabin.

8 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Same here. I've been self-laminating the luggage tags for years and it works great though some folks likely feel it's a bit too much effort. I punch a hole in the top of the laminated tag and use a cable tie to attach it to the luggage just before leaving for the port. Never had a tag get torn or broken off during hand off to the porters and delivery to the cabin.

Ditto -- well, ditto if a cable tie is the same thing as a zip tie.  Being a bit paranoid, I always put TWO on my suitcase, but it works great.  

If I didn't already own this laminator, I'd probably do the same thing with packing tape.  

• Like 1

I have used packing tape on multiple occasions and I have asked to borrow a stapler from the hotel front desk on multiple occasions. Both of these methods worked. But, after using these methods several times, I decided to just buy the luggage tag holders. They make it so much easier. I don't have to pack a stapler or packing tape. For $1.25 each, they've been worth every penny.

We like the plastic tag holders. Have used them on multiple cruises. Have sets for Royal Caribbean (I think Celebrity are the same size?), and for Princess/Carnival. They work great. 

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Ditto -- well, ditto if a cable tie is the same thing as a zip tie.  Being a bit paranoid, I always put TWO on my suitcase, but it works great.  

If I didn't already own this laminator, I'd probably do the same thing with packing tape.  

Yes, sorry, cable tie = zip tie. I'm just used to seeing them all the time back in my working days in IT infrastructure and they were called cable ties. 

1 hour ago, hapster85 said:

We like the plastic tag holders. Have used them on multiple cruises. Have sets for Royal Caribbean (I think Celebrity are the same size?), and for Princess/Carnival. They work great. 

As for sizing, now that we print our own tags, you have the option to size them up or down a bit.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

As for sizing, now that we print our own tags, you have the option to size them up or down a bit.  

True, but they were cheap enough I didn't mind buying 2 sets. 😉

I love my tag holders. Pay once use forever. I'm sad to say that I have seen many a paper tag and even taped over tags that have been stapled laying on the ground in the halls where they are distributing the luggage and then get that little " have you seen this luggage in your cabin " letter. REAL hard to knock these plastic tag holders off of your luggage. And let's face it...the porters do a great job but they don't baby your luggage. 🙏 lord love them🙏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1