Dress code enforcement for dinner

Kastaka

I'm a bit worried about the smart casual requirements for dinner - as a tech worker my entire wardrobe is tshirts, hoodies and cords :). Do I need to go buy some nice tops or am I going to be okay? 

• Haha 1

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/faq-fragments/enjoying-your-cruise-fragments/dining-dress-code

Smart Casual attire is required for entry to main dining, specialty dining, and the Celebrity Theatre. Smart Casual means you look comfortable yet tasteful in a dress, skirt, long pants, or jean, and stylish top or button-down. Shorts and flip flops are not considered Smart Casual. Each itinerary features one to two "formal" nights we call Evening Chic. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way, with a cocktail dress, skirt, slacks, or designer jean, an elegant dress top or blazer—some guests even pack a tuxedo or gown for onboard photos. The Daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. If you do not wish to participate in Evening Chic, Smart Casual attire is acceptable for dining and theater.

Most nights, Smart Casual attire is appropriate for dinner in the Main Dining Room(s). For 6 night cruises or less, there will be 1 Evening Chic night where women should feel comfortable in cocktail dresses, skirts, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top. Men should feel comfortable in pants, designer jeans, long sleeved or button-down shirt, sweaters, sport coats or blazers. For 7 night cruises or longer, there will be two (2) Evening Chic nights.

For 6 night cruises or less, there will be 1 Evening Chic night per cruise. For 7 nights or longer, there will be 2 Evening Chic nights while onboard. While Tuxedos and Formal attire is still appropriate, they are not required and guests will feel comfortable in both formal wear and a dressier smart casual style. Jackets are not required.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kastaka said:

I'm a bit worried about the smart casual requirements for dinner - as a tech worker my entire wardrobe is tshirts, hoodies and cords :). Do I need to go buy some nice tops or am I going to be okay? 

Yes ,

what your profession has nothing to do what you wear when your not working 😁

• Like 13

Yes,  buy some khakis or nice jeans and a couple of polos.

Just off Apex, they might as well get rid of "chic" night.   People are dressing the same as every other night.   Slowly the slobs are winning.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kastaka said:

Perhaps you already have some clothes that you saved for special occasions like weddings.  Shop in your closet.  Sparkly or silky scarves can dress up a plain top. Be creative.

For guys that don't like wearing pants and don't really have any what I would suggest is going to Underarmour and buying one or two pairs of GOLF PANTS. They are extremely comfortable, lightweight and easy to pack, and once worn are indistinguishable from traditional khaki-type trousers. Pair that with a nicer looking polo-type shirt and you can wear that outfit for the whole cruise. 

Photo of example from Amazon. Honestly this exact outfit, including shoes, would be totally fine for Chic Night on a Celebrity Cruise. 

41W4-i3pcML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Perhaps you already have some clothes that you saved for special occasions like weddings.  Shop in your closet.  Sparkly or silky scarves can dress up a plain top. Be creative.

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

For guys that don't like wearing pants and don't really have any what I would suggest is going to Underarmour and buying one or two pairs of GOLF PANTS. They are extremely comfortable, lightweight and easy to pack, and once worn are indistinguishable from traditional khaki-type trousers. Pair that with a nicer looking polo-type shirt and you can wear that outfit for the whole cruise. 

Photo of example from Amazon. Honestly this exact outfit, including shoes, would be totally fine for Chic Night on a Celebrity Cruise. 

41W4-i3pcML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I wonder if op is a male or female 🤔😁

I thought the op was male 

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Yes ,

what your profession has nothing to do what you wear when your not working 😁

Profession may not affect what you wear but living in Silicon Valley it is more of a way of life in the region rather what one does.    Our culture is more of a relaxed one and no one give a damn what someone else  is wearing.   I can tell you many of the corporate leaders like Steve Job or Mark Zukerberg were never looked down on or denied entrance to any place they went.

Having said that, @Kastaka  you are ok with your cords but probably need to pick up some collard shirts -   You can keep it casual with collard golf shirts/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I wonder if op is a male or female 🤔😁

I thought the op was male 

Cruise dress code topics will never cease and sometimes can be pretty eye opening. I was on NCL's flagship Viva in December after a 7 year hiatus from sailing with them and it was pretty eye opening what people will wear for dinner when there's no dress code. NCL has no dress code for any restaurant EXCEPT for their French restaurant, Le Bistro. I was pretty shocked to see guys going to the Specialty steakhouse, which mind you is a beautiful setting, literally as if they came directly from the main pool deck. Flip flops, board shorts, TANK TOP, floppy hat. That's how guys came to dinner. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Just off Apex, they might as well get rid of "chic" night.   People are dressing the same as every other night.   Slowly the slobs are winning.  

What would you expect? The only thing you “can’t” wear on Chic nights that you can on other nights is jeans that aren’t designer jeans, which is basically a distinction without a difference.

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Profession may not affect what you wear but living in Silicon Valley it is more of a way of life in the region rather what one does.    Our culture is more of a relaxed one and no one give a damn what someone else  is wearing.   I can tell you many of the corporate leaders like Steve Job or Mark Zukerberg were never looked down on or denied entrance to any place they went.

Having said that, @Kastaka  you are ok with your cords but probably need to pick up some collard shirts -   You can keep it casual with collard golf shirts/

I guess it depend on what you consider to be a tech worker 

I was thinking of a HVAC tech , 

Steve Job or Zuckerberg always / does dress very nicely in all of the picture I have seen 
If I worn cords my wife would divorce me😁

5 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

What would you expect? The only thing you “can’t” wear on Chic nights that you can on other nights is jeans that aren’t designer jeans, which is basically a distinction without a difference.

Kirkland is a designer jeans 😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I guess it depend on what you consider to be a tech worker 

I was thinking of a HVAC tech , 

Steve Job or Zuckerberg always / does dress very nicely in all of the picture I have seen 
If I worn cords my wife would divorce me😁

Nahh... that's why they call us techie's.     Really doesn't matter whether if your an Accountant, Engineer or Line Worker.

I guess I would consider an HVAC technician - Blue Collar --- but at least they have a collar.  Ok... I'm joking and hope I don't offend anyone.

But the question is whether you would divorce him if he wore cords.   LOL

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

Oops, it looks like this is more contentious than I was expecting! I'm female, by the way. I have some corporate polo shirts from a few companies ago, it sounds like they'll be okay?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Well I guess I am a slob with either darker dress pants or Khakis and either a polo shirt or a button down short sleeve shirt without a jacket. Thanks for judging and perhaps I shouldn't cruise anymore, but not a chance that is happening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Kastaka said:

Oops, it looks like this is more contentious than I was expecting! I'm female, by the way. I have some corporate polo shirts from a few companies ago, it sounds like they'll be okay?

Kataska, if you are going on a Caribbean (or other warm weather cruise), you might want to buy an inexpensive sundress or 2. They are my go to and so easy to throw on with a pair of sandals. Also take up very little room in suitcase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kastaka said:

I'm sure you will look beautiful.   On our last cruise we Invited my BIL and SIL to join us.   Even though we sent them the dress code my BIL showed up with just T shirts..   When he showed up for cocktails Iain had to politely tell him he needed a collar.    I went back with him and gave him a couple of Shirts that just didn't fit me right and they looked great on him.  

It should be pointed out the collared shirts are only required in the Main Dining Rooms in the evening and If you wish to be more casual you can dine in the Ocean View Cafe (buffet) .  They have really nice dinners but not table service.

6 minutes ago, MarEll1 said:

Kataska, if you are going on a Caribbean (or other warm weather cruise), you might want to buy an inexpensive sundress or 2. They are my go to and so easy to throw on with a pair of sandals. Also take up very little room in suitcase.

It's a Fjords cruise - I do own some dresses, just nothing suitable for colder weather :). 

A solid color, slimmer fitting tee will be fine depending on how you dress it up.  They just don’t want oversized, sloppy, wordy t-shirts in the dining room.  A couple of tees like this will work beautifully with some dressier shoes and accessories.

IMG_2641.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Kastaka said:

It's a Fjords cruise - I do own some dresses, just nothing suitable for colder weather :). 

I don’t have many cold weather dresses either. When we went to Alaska last summer (on Regent which is way more strict than Celebrity ie, no jeans anywhere after 6) I mainly wore black pants and switched out a couple tops. I think you could just get a couple nicer tops and you’d be fine. A solid color tee would work and if it’s short sleeved bring a cardigan. Or if you have a scarf throw that on with it. You’ll be fine.

Have fun - the fjords are on our list.

I started reading this thread and was only 3-4 posts in when I started to wonder why all the posters assumed you were identifying as male! Wear whatever makes you comfortable! When I see the tank tops and baseball caps in the dining room these days, it is clear that there are no more rules, at least no one is enforcing any. Does Celebrity still not allow people in wearing shorts (except on the first night)?  They used to send them back to put on pants, at least the men. For women they do allow capris, only a bit longer than shorts, so all these suggestions are only a guideline. For me, hairy pits and legs don't really go with the white tablecloths, but I am also a live and let live person, certainly willing to admit that the world is much less formal now. 

• Haha 1