Live from the Koningsdam 1-30-24 RT Hawaii

misguy

22 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

@Haljo1935..thought you'd be interested...we have a Yorkie service dog on this cruise...he is wheeled around in a stroller!

Food for thought:   I have known people to use service dogs for what may be “invisible” to others:   Extremely low blood sugar, seizures, etc.   Not always needed for mobility, sight, etc.   that being said, the animals should be identified as such (ie a vest or something that states “hey, I’m working here!”) and very well socialized.   Even with lack of identification, you should be able to see how the owner deals with out of line behavior.   If this animal is for a more “invisible “ need, the stroller may be acceptable….   Maybe.

I hope that is the case.   …Unlike the multiple animals on @Haljo1935 trip, which seemed to be rather blatant infraction.  End of my two cents worth. (Sorry for the tangent, rant)

PS -Speaking of food:  the food looks really yummy on this trip! (I can’t eat the yummiest looking desserts, as they aren’t GF, but they made me drool!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not on this cruise just following CC, Plan on booking for Jan of 25.

On a recent HAL cruise, a lady had a dog in a stroller and took it up to the buffet and put food on a dish for the dog and laid it on the floor also dressed the dog in a different outfit daily. Needless to say,

people not happy. If is not a trained service dog leave it at home with a dog sitter or kennel it.

That pastry from Dutch cafe is super. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Have only been on Zaandam, so have no experience with Dutch cafe…. Are there any gluten free options on menu? (Currently?  Ever?)   Everything I have seen from there looks sooooooo yummy. 😋

on current K-dam, have there been any Desserts listed as GF? (Other than fruit or crème brûlée)

16 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Have only been on Zaandam, so have no experience with Dutch cafe…. Are there any gluten free options on menu? (Currently?  Ever?)   Everything I have seen from there looks sooooooo yummy. 😋

on current K-dam, have there been any Desserts listed as GF? (Other than fruit or crème brûlée)

On the buffet, they have a GF desert, and I will be posting menus starting with the next blog.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

@canadianbear...NOT filled with custard..that is my all time favorite but this is just outstanding IMO.

PXL_20240204_004824493.jpg

One of the things that I like about HAL is the details, especially surrounding the "premium" offerings and it's a thing that I notice.  On our Alaska cruise on the Koningsdam we had this served on the Delft Blue Dinnerware.  

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 2.32.09 PM.png

• Like 5

14 hours ago, misguy said:

Here is the video tour of our cabin on the Koningsdam.  

Your  outside cabin is very much like the handicap balcony cabi except we had not hallway coming into the bedroom like your cabin does .when the automatic door opened we drive in to a wide open area  in the handicap balcony  .I do like your cabin a lot 

6 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Your  outside cabin is very much like the handicap balcony cabi except we had not hallway coming into the bedroom like your cabin does .when the automatic door opened we drive in to a wide open area  in the handicap balcony  .I do like your cabin a lot 

it is working really well for us, and since the water is pretty rough, having a first floor midship cabin is perfect.  

• Like 3

This is our fifth sea day and the wave action is still pretty strong.  Most of the time 12' to 18' . The ship is moving pretty good but not enough to bother us, we are still eating well, and the only things the movement does it help us sleep longer than normal.

I am uploading the talk with the hotel director to YT, but it is a slow process since the motion of the ship degrades the bandwidth.  I am working on the blog and will have another post today and start posting the dailies and the menus.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A little late to the party but interested to follow along. We are on the 1/28/2025 Koningsdam cruise --- our first on HAL after 50+ on other lines. My wife also uses a manual wheelchair is a lot of walking is involved and definitely off the ship, so I am interested in the port stops. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AryMay said:

The stroller dog (and owner) were in the Dutch Cafe at lunch today. The pup was doing some yipping. 

No, no, no…not again.  Happy to report no dogs on the Oosterdam.  (Although I would welcome a fully trained service dog.) I guess it is difficult to bring your “emotional support animal” to South America.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 0106 said:

No, no, no…not again.  Happy to report no dogs on the Oosterdam.  (Although I would welcome a fully trained service dog.) I guess it is difficult to bring your “emotional support animal” to South America.

I truly am seeing a pattern and K'dam seems to be the vessel of choice for them. 🤷‍♂️😪😒

I, too, am fully supportive of actual service animals.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, misguy said:

This is our fifth sea day and the wave action is still pretty strong.  Most of the time 12' to 18' . The ship is moving pretty good but not enough to bother us, we are still eating well, and the only things the movement does it help us sleep longer than normal.

I am uploading the talk with the hotel director to YT, but it is a slow process since the motion of the ship degrades the bandwidth.  I am working on the blog and will have another post today and start posting the dailies and the menus.

we are looking forward to more of your posts for this Hawii cruise .  People should stick to the Jan 30,2024 Hawaii cruise & not5 drift off to other topics 

aloha

Cliff

• Like 1

We are in the Islands and should be docking in Kauai this morning.  If the seas outside the window are the same as near the Island, I am not sure if they will be able do water based activities, the seas are still running at least 10'  which is better than the last few days at sea.

We have no definite plans we are planning on going ashore and exploring.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, misguy said:

We are in the Islands and should be docking in Kauai this morning.  If the seas outside the window are the same as near the Island, I am not sure if they will be able do water based activities, the seas are still running at least 10'  which is better than the last few days at sea.

We have no definite plans we are planning on going ashore and exploring.  

so the seas are still high . That will make the giant waves north shore Oahu huge for those pro surfers . That is some thing to really see as they ride those giant waves .hope you guys get to dee the Humpback whales & their calves .This is the time they are there in Hawaiian waters .Enjoy it all 

Aloha

Cliff

They just canceled our call to Kaui, the waves were coming over the breakwater, and the wind was 35knts both of which are too high to make it into port we are going to cruise around Kauai, and then on to Oahu and Honolulu tomorrow.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, misguy said:

They just canceled our call to Kaui, the waves were coming over the breakwater, and the wind was 35knts both of which are too high to make it into port we are going to cruise around Kauai, and then on to Oahu and Honolulu tomorrow.

Sorry to hear. Has to be disappointing. Hopefully, you will get a good view of the Nepali coast, and look for whales. Some of our best whale watching was late February off Kauai.

• Like 1

Saw your ship cruising along the south side of Kauai while out on my morning walk. I knew it was due in today (I keep track of ship schedules when we're visiting Kauai since the buses for one of the major tours go right past where we stay) so when I saw it out there, I knew you had to cancel the port. It's been pretty windy here the last three days so I'm not surprised you had to miss.

• Like 1

We did a really nice tour of the Napali coast,  It was narrated by Kristen and we were close to shore, it is an amazing sight.  Video coming, we did see a whale close in to the ship.l 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, misguy said:

We did a really nice tour of the Napali coast,  It was narrated by Kristen and we were close to shore, it is an amazing sight.  Video coming, we did see a whale close in to the ship.l 

Very nice, especially for a replacement. Look forward to the video.

Glad to hear you're blessed w/amazing sights.

36 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Very nice, especially for a replacement. Look forward to the video.

Glad to hear you're blessed w/amazing sights.

The Napali Coast is a awesome sight .however ,many lost their tours which they planed for months . We been to Kauai  & it is a neat island .If we had been on theis cruise (canceled due yo illness ) we would have made some special land arrangements . Just a bad weather turn of events