The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday January 31st, 2024

kazu

Today is Appreciate Your Social Security Check Day, Brandy Alexander Day, and Gorilla Suit Day

Our national flower is the concrete cloverleaf. - Lewis Mumford

Meal Suggestion for today - Squash, Chickpea & Red Lentil Stew
Drink of the Day - Dickelade
Wine of the Day - Pyros 2021 Appellation Chardonnay (Pedernal Valley)
Destination of the Day - Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom 

Today in History:
1985 South African President P. W. Botha offers to free Nelson Mandela if he denounces violence
1949 1st daytime soap on TV "These Are My Children" (NBC in Chicago)
2015 17 year old Lydia Ko of New Zealand becomes the youngest golfer in men's or women's golf history to be ranked No. 1 in the world

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 16:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island Hawaii eta 02-05

Nieuw Amsterdam

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 23:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Roatan Island, Mahogany Bay-Coxen Hole, Honduras eta 02-01

Oosterdam

Montevideo, Uruguay 08:00 - 19:30 

Rotterdam

Kralendijk Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00 

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas Carnival private island eta 02-02

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island eta 02-06

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Timaru, New Zealand 08:00 - 17:00 

Volendam

Townsville QLD, Queensland Australia 09:00 - 18:00 

Westerdam

Halong Bay, Vietnam, Ha Long City 08:00 - 21:00

• Like 22
  • Thanks 20

Dickelade

The Dickelade is a drink made with George Dickel No. 12, a Tennessee sour mash whiskey. Dickel No. 12 is described as fruitier than most sour mash or Bourbon and with less charcoal character.

There are two different formulations in circulation: one made with lemon juice and sugar syrup, which is just a whiskey sour, and one with lemonade. Based on the name of the drink, I believe that the lemonade formulation is the correct one.

dickelade.jpg.79a1c535a75ae5858d97c893632b6eb8.jpg

1 1/2 ounce George Dickel No. 12

4 ounces lemonade

Fill a rocks glass with ice. Pour in the George Dickel No. 12, followed by the lemonade, and stir until the glass starts to chill. Garnish with a lemon slice.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 21

IMG_20240130_095857081.thumb.jpg.9b48fc3f3a16aa3170f5c0592d93b337.jpgand Good morning from Aruba.  A short stop here today before we head back to Fort Lauderdale.   Thanks for the daily reports @kazu and @rafinmd.    

Prayers for everyone on our care report.   @kochleffel, I am happy to read your Mohs surgery was one cutting and done and I hope it doesn't hurt too bad.   I have a date with it on March 4 thankfully mine is on my arm.   Continued prayers for Tana and all of our group whose DHs are battling health issues.  Prayers for the fighters and people of Ukraine.  

BTW we were watching BBC yesterday and got to see a blip on the Viking celebration in the Shetland Islands.  

Here is some of our cooking fun from yesterday.  We rode across the big bridge to a chef's home and cooked many things. Lion  fish ceviche, jerk chicken, beef kabobs, fried polenta, sweet potato salad, green papaya salad, Caribbean Nicoise and papaya coconut cake drinking all the while. John and I did tuna Nicoise . A perfect day ashore! 

IMG_20240130_113358535.jpg

IMG_20240130_102046738.jpg

IMG_20240130_121739710_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240130_123309184.jpg

IMG_20240130_121747820_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240130_123313116_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240130_122003137.jpg

IMG_20240130_131947325_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 7

Good morning dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report. 

Not much to report here. Finishing up the honey do list and waiting for new work computer and monitors. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! 

20231103_061717.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Ger_77’s DH Maurice having breathlessness; getting changes in meds/PM

Mister 67’s DW fall, requiring sutures

StLouisCruiser’s shoulder pain

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

Atexsix’s DD now in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Cruzin Terri (Terri & Jim)!

RMLincoln’d DH’s doing well after eye surgery

Kochleffel’s (Paul’s) Mohs surgery completed with one pass

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer),Tupper10 (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 9d Southern Caribbean), Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta Jan 25 to Feb 😎 12d NZ Discovery, Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Feb 11) 11d Windward Islands Explorer, summer slope (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ(Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, 0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 23

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

A cool 52 morning heading up to 73 with sunny skies 

It’s nice to get our Social Security check but it is our money as we paid into it all our working lives

Brandy Alexanders are pretty good but haven’t had one in decades and I’ve never worn a gorilla suit

Pass on the meal

Off to the golf course in a few minutes

Have a great day and stay well

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.

It is currently 6°C and windy.

We had a nice church service then afterwards I had a cup of tea with Father David while Pauline entered several names into the Church memorial book.

We had a 3 day hotel stay in Belfast and visited several sites including the Titanic ship yard and memorial museum.

Best wishes to all cruising.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240131_111707.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Happy Hump Day everyone.  Thanks very much Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Eva, Paul & Ann for your daily dedication.

Interesting collection of days.  I guess I should appreciate my CPP (Canada Pension Plan) but I expect to be repaid for something I paid into for decades 😉 Pessimistic quote IMO.  Yay on the white wine today - looking forward to hearing about it.

IMG_2043.thumb.jpeg.a05c13b1e27457a0f4e467420af51774.jpeg

Ivan’s injection was as smooth as silk yesterday.  the vet techs commented on how much he has changed (for the better) in the few months they have seen him.  (And no, I did not use muscles to help him on the scale - they helped and he actually went on quite easily 👍).  Finally - the stuff I am giving to help the nephew of my deceased friend is being picked up and delivered.  Unfortunately all the volunteer support that was supposed to be there has just been in limbo so I’ll pay to get it done.  

IMG_2041.thumb.jpeg.1414531557bd9efafa58e8acf14cba0e.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2042.jpeg.ceb9d7381b4af32f41584ca3bf7e2940.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 14

Good morning and thank you for the Report.  Happy Hump Day.

Another cloudy cool day here with a chance of flurries.  Yep, it's winter.

I appreciate my CPP cheque.  I've never had a Brandy Alexander but I like the song.  I've never worn a gorilla suit.

Amusing quote.

I'll pass on the meal, the drink sounds good, I'm sure the wine is wonderful.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Paul, Eva, and Ann for the last FR&D for January.  I don't get Social Security but will appreciate the day because all my earnings and retirement income can be traced to work for the Social Security Administration.  Thanks @grapau27; I;ll pass on both Brandy Alexander and Gorilla Suits.

While we still have quite a few concrete cloverleafs it is not as many as years ago.  I've been to Ireland but not to Northern Ireland.  3 interesting days  Not sure how much Mandella gave up to get his freedom but he certainly made the best of it.  Not a fan of soaps but it sounds like a great day for women's golf.

Bon Voyage @Cruzin Terri.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Watermelon Gazpacho, Verse Fruit Salad, Surf and Turf (Turf for me), and Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam January 31, 2019:

dishes31.jpg

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It's 40F and will be 54 and sunny today so not bad weather for the last day of January.  My shoulder is doing better and back to about a 3 out of 10 so I'll continue to be careful with it.  Vanessa @JazzyV you can take me off the Care list because there are so many out there who are in far worse shape than I am.  Thank you!

Thanks also to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet maps for us.  I always appreciate my Social Security check as does DH.  I'm not much of a cocktail drinker so would probably not order a Brandy Alexander and would certainly not like wearing a gorilla suit!  It's pretty sad that someone thinks concrete cloverleafs are our national flower.  From the sounds of it I think today is not a day I'd like the stew, Dickelade or Chardonnay.  Interesting days in history regarding Mandela, the first soap opera (before I was even born), and the 17 year old golfer.  Thanks to our F&B department reporters, Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard.  Good job everyone!

Heartfelt prayers said today for my family and friends in need of them, the people of Israel and Ukraine and the hostages still held, our military members overseas especially the 5 lost so far and the many dozens seriously injured.  And I would never forget my friends here on the Daily with heart conditions, fighting cancer, Alzheimer's and severe eye problems. 🙏 Prayers for Vanessa @JazzyV for pain relief and for Terri @Cruzin Terri that her problems have eased and she can enjoy boarding her ship with Jim in Miami.  I'd also like to celebrate with the many cruisers we know and for all enjoying birthday and anniversary celebrations.🎂🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for updating the lists for us each day!

The port this morning is Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK.  This was the port once before on Oct. 30, 2023.  Here is the link to that date.  I'll post photos for myself and Lenda shortly.

Hoping everyone has a great Wednesday.  Please keep safe and stay well!

• Like 28
  • Haha 1

It’s nice to see the port of Belfast, Northern Ireland because I’m sure a lot of you have great memories from there.  Or perhaps you’ve never been there before and would like a quick look at it.  We enjoy the British Isles cruises so have seen it 4 times and enjoyed all the visits.  Our first time there was in 2011 on Emerald Princess after a Baltic cruise followed by a transatlantic back to the States.  We were traveling with friends Susan and Scott.  The ship’s shuttle to downtown dropped us off across the street from City Hall.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We walked around City Hall grounds and noticed a stone commemorating September 11, 2001 with a tree planted just next to it.  There were some flowers laid there and some small American flags placed next to the stone.  Each time we’ve gone to Belfast we walk around the City Hall grounds and stop to see the stone and how big the tree is getting. 

A little sparse on the leaves here

After that we walked to a famous bar called the Crown Saloon (nowadays known as one of the Nicholsons Pubs).  It is practically across the street from the Grand Opera House on Great Victoria Street not far from City Hall. It seems everybody was there so since it was so crowded we went to a different bar nearby.  There is a Robinson’s Bar and a Brennan’s Bar one on each side of Crown Saloon. 

Robinson's Bar

We went in Brennan’s because Robinson’s had people waiting to get in too.  Everyone but me enjoyed a Guinness (I don’t drink beer) and we enjoyed conversing with a group of ladies celebrating birthdays.  Sorry this one is blurry.

The second time we were in Belfast was in May 2015 on Royal Princess with friends Sandy and Bob.  Due to high winds the ship had to wait all day to dock there.  It was 6:30 pm before we were cleared to leave the ship.  We took the first double decker shuttle bus to downtown.  Again we saw City Hall, the memorial stone and the tree which appeared larger than four years earlier.  That’s a good thing! 

You can read this one!

Across the road from City Hall, Belfast Metropolitan College.

This time we walked another direction, passing Victoria Square shopping mall.  We saw St. Anne’s Cathedral and Albert Memorial Clock which is tilting. 

Then on the route back we came upon the Merchant Hotel.  Some gentlemen standing on the verandah saw us stopped to take photos of the building and talking about it.  They invited us inside to see some of the beautiful renovations done recently.  It used to be a bank but is now a 5 star hotel.

One of them said his name was Conor Houston (man in middle of photo on the verandah) and he said his father had headed the renovations from the Ulster Bank building to the Merchant Hotel. He even took us to the vault in the basement.  There were many amenities available.  He said he had gone to school and spent a lot of time in Boston and since Bob and Sandy are originally from that area they enjoyed chatting a bit.  Conor also told us Belfast holds the U.S. in a special place in their hearts due to all that we have done for that city.  That was nice of him to say.

After visiting the Merchant Hotel, we walked back to the double decker bus and rode back to the ship.  We were late to dinner (late seating) but no one was there so the waiters were happy to see us and hear about our jaunt around town.

I'll continue with visits 3 and 4 in the second post.  There's lots to see in Belfast.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

The third visit to Belfast was on June 9, 2017 on Prinsendam.  We caught a peek at Captain Ane Jan Smit on the exterior bridge wing guiding us into the dock

We did the usual shuttle bus ride to downtown, always dropped off near City Hall.  We wandered by the Merchant Hotel again, the tilting clock tower, and saw an interesting building the Bittles Bar.  How’s that for squeezing a narrow building onto a narrow plot of land?

Here are a few of the interesting sights seen as we walked in the vicinity of Victoria Square shopping mall.

Fourth visit was on Sept. 9, 2018 again on Prinsendam.  Again they had the double decker shuttle bus to downtown, though if you needed a taxi there were British style taxis parked next to the buses. 

Once again I checked on the tree planted as a memorial to those lost on 9/11 in the U.S.  Looking strong!  It had been planted 6 years earlier on 9/11/2002.

It was a Sunday and we saw a vintage motorcycle club had the old bikes on display for all to see on City Hall grounds.  Some were from the 1930’s.

Then since no stores opened until 1 pm we wandered down to St. George’s Market, sort of a farmer’s market.  It seems everybody in Belfast was there because it was packed!  Lots going on!  In addition to what I show you here, there were fish vendors, butchers and produce sellers. We couldn’t have sat down to have a snack or refreshment if we wanted to because all seats were taken.  And it was pretty loud in there, too.  After taking a close look at all the displays we headed back to the ship on the bus. 

Thanks for hanging in there with me on all these photos, but I hope I showed you there's a variety of sights to see in Belfast.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

And now here are Lenda's photos which will be in two separate posts as well.

We have been to Belfast twice, and I'll divide my pictures into two posts.  On August 20, 2016, the Prinsendam docked in Belfast.  First on our list of places to see was the Titanic Experience, so we got a black cab from the port to the museum.  I'd always wanted to ride in a London black cab, and I finally got to, just not in London.  The cab ride allowed us to beat the tour buses to the museum.

The Titanic Museum, which has taken a page out of Disney attractions, as you go through the museum in a moving "car".  The museum is interesting, but the pictures are not the best because of the lighting.

DSC06610.thumb.JPG.7912a80f82a35e98e5926cad5b428e47.JPG

The view of the slipway that was used in building the ships, and the Prinsendam in the background.

DSC06606.thumb.JPG.64dd32c35f768dab1831be9e9673a433.JPG

One of the buildings of the old Harland and Wolff shipyard and the two giant cranes used in shipbuilding.

DSC06604.thumb.JPG.ae83319de568224f0989eb45eab031d2.JPG

DSC09104.thumb.JPG.a9e6377bd934864311197153f9af16f7.JPG

Across the street from the Titanic Experience is the Nomadic, the last remaining ship from the White Star Line.  It was used as a tender in Cherbourg for the Titanic Passengers.  We returned later in the day to walk through the Nomadic.

DSC06609.thumb.JPG.630da92c5b9cbc3f799d2091271f0af7.JPG

DSC06643.thumb.JPG.15ed69cf9dcee6165a3d025ffb91298e.JPG

DSC06646.thumb.JPG.2c35078a3390232574ae83d2e35b9c01.JPG

DSC06649.thumb.JPG.1e57806fc2e67a1e2cab0073d1abfb71.JPG

DSC06661.thumb.JPG.febd2d448686c657993f18af0a177111.JPG

Ahead of the Nomadic is a Caisson used to close off the entrance to the dock.

DSC06664.thumb.JPG.e34f83cd3395994c671209cb49c5da51.JPG

DSC06669.thumb.JPG.fa464070dc6d301f2919abeddc44fbc1.JPG

DSC06670.thumb.JPG.8ea036cf9e718280319484fa04fd829d.JPG

From the Titanic Experience, we took the Ho-Ho for a tour of Belfast.  Just a few scenes from the Ho-Ho.  This is the Parliament of Northern Ireland.

DSC06615.thumb.JPG.735fcb3e5435cd24ae6bd1d80d5f24e2.JPG

DSC06616.thumb.JPG.6f0c09fe04d46050a99cfc96dfba22b1.JPG

DSC06621.thumb.JPG.a41517a19638d279e69b6ec2d2238af8.JPG

When the bus stopped at City Hall, we walked to a taxi stand and hired a taxi to take us to the Giants Causeway.  We took the mini bus from the visitor center down to the entrance.  Since it was getting late, we just saw the Giants Causeway from the bus.

DSC06638.thumb.JPG.74154a9897514109313464a31ee55db7.JPG

DSC06639.thumb.JPG.0d5a9a1a6bc88e7afe12c85117e51e6f.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Crystal Symphony cruise from Buenos Aires to Antarctica to Miami.  January 31 was a sea day from Puerto Madryn to the Falklands:

• 1stsun0201.jpg

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Lenda's 2nd post

Almost a year later, on August 12, 2017, the Prinsendam again docked in Belfast.  This time, we'd reserved a rental car and picked it up at the dock.  Our plan that day was to head to Bushmills and tour the Old Bushmills Distillery.

DSC09079.thumb.JPG.324a5614af299cbefc8f239d1fc2d0ec.JPG

Before the tour began, we gathered in their pub.  Evidently, I didn't take any pictures in the distillery.

DSC09072.thumb.JPG.a8901c21b85228d2731532af75f656a2.JPG

DSC09073.thumb.JPG.5251ce59225503cc6f6b4e0cbf8086bf.JPG

DSC09074.thumb.JPG.82d90a94ccb8559485a0089141abde0e.JPG

DSC09076.thumb.JPG.e91b6ace55d321f6daa8b9a41d2b22f8.JPG

The Antrim Coast

DSC09082.thumb.JPG.8ebe739d7b5624ee934493c65f8aa747.JPG

DSC09083.thumb.JPG.277888b1c50fe007ba5d740a1040f207.JPG

DSC09087.thumb.JPG.27f3cedf44d181c2890a0aa218e6d0a1.JPG

Historic Castlecomer New Road 

DSC09093.thumb.JPG.1490302c5b4eaf24303f787b4c35851e.JPG

The Peace Wall between Protestant and Chalonic Belfast

DSC09096.thumb.JPG.9ad0293b2571b08a46d00a5145956555.JPG

DSC09098.thumb.JPG.a87a6541fbf4ce1db6c1344a22a9123c.JPG

DSC09099.thumb.JPG.e1b7c3934f5457f9b8fffbb3264e25a5.JPG

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Thank you for posting all of yours and Lendas photos of Belfast.

When we visited Belfast we flew from Newcastle to Belfast and stayed 3 nights in the wonderful 5 star Fitzwilliam hotel.

We visited the (Crum) Crumlin Road prison which was very interesting.

We also visited the Titanic shipyard and Museum.

We also had a day shopping.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I receive Social Security benefits but I have never received a Social Security check--it has been all direct deposit for quite a while now. No Brandy Alexander for the lactose-intolerant. No gorilla suits for anyone, imo.

I would probably like the stew. I think it would be a challenge to make from scratch since red lentils cook in less than 20 minutes but chickpeas need five hours. I'll think about the cocktail come summer. For a Finger Lakes chardonnay, Dr. Frank's just-released 2022. I haven't been to Belfast, but one branch of my family is from a rural village in County Armagh.

I was feeling quite a lot of pain last night, and took diphenhydramine (Benadryl) for sleep. It worked, but I was wide awake by 5:00 a.m. Less pain today. I'll need to buy some Nexcare bandages but the bandage on my nose now, which stays on until lunchtime tomorrow, is a bloody (lit.) mess.

14342.gif.6bc20c1a24c7316932c9727f655e8b3c.gif

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I don’t receive SS for a couple of years but DH gets his first check in March.  A Brandy Alexander sounds like a reason to celebrate.  Haven’t gorillas been maligned enough already?  Funny quote.  We’ve been having red lentil and sweet potato pie the past two nights so a pass on the meal but the drink sounds nice.  I was in Belfast once but don’t have any photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today, I hope things get better.  Cheers to those celebrating happy events like @Cruzin Terri setting sail!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1