Question about Emerald Princess dining etiquette on New England/Canada Cruise

mali06

This question is for information only from those that have sailed on Princess to New England/Canada in the fall.  I am interested if the following is true:  the clothes that are worn in MDR are much more relaxed on Formal Nights than on Caribbean cruises.  My husband has always worn a dark suit on Formal Nights on over 30 cruises.  But as we get older, he still wants to dress up but not in a suit.  No bashing please.  We have had one Formal night that he did not feel up to getting all gussied up so we simply ate at the buffet that night.  However, we much prefer to be in the MDR but he is afraid he won't fit in!  Any info would be appreciated,

8 minutes ago, mali06 said:

This question is for information only from those that have sailed on Princess to New England/Canada in the fall.  I am interested if the following is true:  the clothes that are worn in MDR are much more relaxed on Formal Nights than on Caribbean cruises.  My husband has always worn a dark suit on Formal Nights on over 30 cruises.  But as we get older, he still wants to dress up but not in a suit.  No bashing please.  We have had one Formal night that he did not feel up to getting all gussied up so we simply ate at the buffet that night.  However, we much prefer to be in the MDR but he is afraid he won't fit in!  Any info would be appreciated,

I never wear a tie even on formal nights in any cruise anymore. For casual I have been known to wear jeans an T shirts. For formal regular slacks or chinos and a shirt with buttons will suffice. No need to go to the buffet 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, memoak said:

I never wear a tie even on formal nights in any cruise anymore. For casual I have been known to wear jeans an T shirts. For formal regular slacks or chinos and a Sagittarius with buttons will suffice. No need to go to the buffet 

Thanks but may I ask what a Sagittarius is?

The ship really doesn't matter. On *any* Princess ship pretty much any itinerary you can wear just about anything you like. Break advised...this is one of those hot button topics that will likely create a lot of differing opinions.  That being said...somebody pass the popcorn, please. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mali06 said:

Thanks but may I ask what a Sagittarius is?

It autofilled on me corrected now shirts.  This goes for any Princess ship I am on

• Like 1

Long pants and a collared shirt would be appropriate.  You will see very few men with a suit tie or tux.  Some with Khakis and short sleeved shirt.  Whether the fashion police like it or not, it’s not really all that formal anymore.  

• Like 2

We took the New England Canada cruise last summer, and since it was so port intensive we didn't see a lot of people dress for formal nights. Much younger crowd too and lots of kids due to summer holidays.

Edited by startedwithamouse

2 hours ago, mali06 said:

Oops, I made an error.  That should be ENCHANTED PRINCESS in the topic!!!!

Our recent trip on the Enchanted had 6 formal nights. Shorts were worn at all formal nights in the MDR. Wear what you want. Put a pair of long pants in your luggage just in case you strike a Maitre-D dress zealot that's new and wants to go back to the old days. Otherwise wear what you like and enjoy. 

• Like 1

I didn’t find it any less common to see formal wear on our Canada/Greenland cruise than on a Caribbean cruise.

That said, as long as he meets the minimum standards for smart casual dining, he’ll be fine wearing whatever he wants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mali06 said:

I am interested if the following is true:  the clothes that are worn in MDR are much more relaxed on Formal Nights than on Caribbean cruises.

I find the original premise interesting.  I was going to say that I have not really noticed a marked difference in formality on any ship or in any region...except the Caribbean.  Those tend to be the least formal.  But honestly, the difference from ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary can be measured in micrograms.  

25 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I didn’t find it any less common to see formal wear on our Canada/Greenland cruise than on a Caribbean cruise.

That said, as long as he meets the minimum standards for smart casual dining, he’ll be fine wearing whatever he wants.

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I find the original premise interesting.  I was going to say that I have not really noticed a marked difference in formality on any ship or in any region...except the Caribbean.  Those tend to be the least formal.  But honestly, the difference from ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary can be measured in micrograms.  

I do agree but I want my hubby to feel comfortable and fit in.  So I ask on his behalf!  🙂

2 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Our recent trip on the Enchanted had 6 formal nights. Shorts were worn at all formal nights in the MDR. Wear what you want. Put a pair of long pants in your luggage just in case you strike a Maitre-D dress zealot that's new and wants to go back to the old days. Otherwise wear what you like and enjoy. 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We took the New England Canada cruise last summer, and since it was so port intensive we didn't see a lot of people dress for formal nights. Much younger crowd too and lots of kids due to summer holidays.

Our cruise will be port intensive and chilly!  🙂

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Good thing we are going in the fall.  Probably more people our age.  🙂

36 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It seemed to me that formal attire seemed much more common in Europe and Asia than any other regions. Everywhere else I’ve been has been very similar.

It is surprising that as one "how should I dress" thread dies a natural death another one pops up on CC.  Are people really that insecure that they do not know how to dress on a cruse or what to wear to dinner?  Really?  Wow!

In reality it is just a ship full of regular people, on vacation having a good time with a myriad of activities, with dinner being just one activity. Most people do not care the least what others are wearing or do they even notice.

I think people should adhere to the nos. No tank tops, swim suits etc.  Other than that,  I feel everyone is entitled to their own definition of formal and casual. If someone's definition is way off then it is up to the cruise line to deal with if they want to or not.  More than likely --- not.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

It is surprising that as one "how should I dress" thread dies a natural death another one pops up on CC.  Are people really that insecure that they do not know how to dress on a cruse or what to wear to dinner?  Really?  Wow!

In reality it is just a ship full of regular people, on vacation having a good time with a myriad of activities, with dinner being just one activity. Most people do not care the least what others are wearing or do they even notice.

I think people should adhere to the nos. No tank tops, swim suits etc.  Other than that,  I feel everyone is entitled to their own definition of formal and casual. If someone's definition is way off then it is up to the cruise line to deal with if they want to or not.  More than likely --- not.

Really great post.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Except the "nos" are a moving target. When we started cruising, even our 10-year old son was sent away from the dining room for turning up in dress shorts and a shirt.. fast forward to this year.. I'm wearing cargo shorts and a polo shirt in the dining room on formal night. Tank-tops and swim-suits might seem a no-brainer sure.. but the "nos" of yesterday ain't the "Nos" of today.