JamieLogical's Live from the MSC Divina 2/11

JamieLogical

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Did you read the just released news story -   Carnival Magic hit the pier today in high winds and did significant damage to the Pier.  

Thanks for the 'heads-up' Jim, like Jamie, if we have to miss a port on this itinerary, this is the one we'd miss the least, but hope it gets sorted quickly if only for the sake of the locals who depend on the tourism.

41 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Looks like Divina is due to dock at Ocho Rios tomorrow on her current cruise so we will get an early indication of how they are handling the damage to the dock...

And our Seascape cruise next week is scheduled there for Monday, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. I have no interest in getting off there anyways so it won't affect me, but as Jamie said for others' sake I hope it's fixed up soon.

This happened yesterday.  Costa Pacifica was there also at the James Bond (Reynolds) pier.  Magic went offshore and when Costa left she came in and docked at that pier.  Magic spent the night there.  Nieuw Statendam was supposed to be there today but went to Montego Bay instead. Divina will be the on,y ship in port and can dock at the other pier.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Divina will be the on,y ship in port and can dock at the other pier.  EM

That is true for today, but on our cruise next week Carnival Horizon is due to arrive the same day, an hour ahead of us...

image.png.f5dcfd451268a698119b136d898e9d19.png

Guess we will have to wait and see for now...

Edited by Mark_T

Made some decent cruise prep progress yesterday. I got cash out from the bank during my lunch break. Then after work, I got all fo my backpack stuff packed and I packed my husband's bundle. I had to do his bundle twice. It was just too much stuff... ended up having to put it into our larger checked bag instead of a normal carry-on size. Which means we now will have to cram everything that was meant to go in our big suitcase into his carry-on-sized bag instead. I seriously think that man brought 20+ shirts! IIRC from building the bundle twice, there were three moisture wicking t-shirts, seven graphic t-shirts, six short-sleeved Tommy Bahama shirts, and three long-sleeved linen Tommy Bahama shirts. And that's just what I can remember! Plus pants, shorts, swim trunks, a rain jacket, all his underwear and socks, and a pair of dress shoes. I take pride in my bundling ability, but I guess it has its limits.

I don't plan on doing my bundling until tomorrow night, since I still need to do laundry tonight. But I am confident that everything I have planned for bundling will fit into my carry-on, because it's the same stuff I have packed for cruises many times before:

• Rain jacket
  • Boat Shoes
  • Underwear (x11)
  • Slipper Socks (x11)
  • Cotton Socks (x2)
  • Moisture Wicking Socks (x4)
  • Trail Pants (x2)
  • Camis (x11)
  • Linen Shirts (x5)
  • T-shirts (x2)
  • Moisture Wicking Shirts (x2)
  • Pajama Pants (x3)
  • Cruise Pants (x6)
  • Slip Shorts (x1)
  • Sweaters (x2)
  • Dresses (x2)
  • Cover-up
  • Swimsuit Bottoms (x2)

Looking at that list, I guess I technically bring 20 shirts as well, if you count the camisoles. But they take up way less space than my husband's!

I have my haircut appointment after work today and I called in my prescription this morning, so I plan to do our last grocery store trip after my haircut. Then I will do laundry and paint my toenails after we get home from the grocery store. That should really only leave my bundle and any last-minute stuff for tomorrow. We need to be up at 3:30 on Saturday to get to the airport for our flight. That is really going to suck! We are hoping to try to get to bed a little early tomorrow night.

• Like 6

We purchased the "Back Home Clean - 20 Pieces" pacakage so I can pack only half of the t-shirts, under wear, shorts, jeans, socks, and polo shirts needed for an 11-day cruise.  I noticed that MSC has a 50-lb limit on the weight for luggage so will need to keep a close eye on that since our large suit cases can accommodate a lot of items.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We purchased the "Back Home Clean - 20 Pieces" pacakage so I can pack only half of the t-shirts, under wear, shorts, jeans, socks, and polo shirts needed for an 11-day cruise.  I noticed that MSC has a 50-lb limit on the weight for luggage so will need to keep a close eye on that since our large suit cases can accommodate a lot of items.  

MSC doesn’t weigh your cases so there’s no need to be concerned about it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I live in fear of MSC's laundry services, because I have read so many bad reports of them. No way would my husband trust any of his precious Tommy Bahama shirts, jeans, pants, or shirts to them. He might trust them with his socks, underwear, and t-shirts though....

As for a 50-pound limit, I don't think any of our suitcases are big enough to hold 50 pounds unless we pack them full of lead? We are each bringing a backpack, a carry-on-sized roller bag, and then were supposed to be sharing one 25-inch bag, but now my husband needed that one for his bundle, so we will share his carry-on.

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

That is true for today, but on our cruise next week Carnival Horizon is due to arrive the same day, an hour ahead of us...

image.png.f5dcfd451268a698119b136d898e9d19.png

Guess we will have to wait and see for now...

She is In Montego Bay today.  EM

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I live in fear of MSC's laundry services, because I have read so many bad reports of them. No way would my husband trust any of his precious Tommy Bahama shirts, jeans, pants, or shirts to them. He might trust them with his socks, underwear, and t-shirts though....

As you know this is our first MSC sailing so we have no experience with their laundry service.  We have used our Elite free laundry bag on our Celebrity cruises and understand completely what you are saying about what to trust.  

Like your husband, my dress shirts would never see the regular laundry service.  My short pants, denim jeans, and cotton Polo shirts have all survived multiple trips thought the ships wash and fold service and that is what, in addition to our underwear and socks, my wife's jeans and capri's we use for the ships laundry.  Any 'dress' clothes such as my Hawaiian shirts, will go through the regular laundry / dry cleaning service if needed. 

As for a 50-pound limit, I don't think any of our suitcases are big enough to hold 50 pounds unless we pack them full of lead? We are each bringing a backpack, a carry-on-sized roller bag, and then were supposed to be sharing one 25-inch bag, but now my husband needed that one for his bundle, so we will share his carry-on.

We have two 27-inch bags and a carry on size bag in addition to my backpack and her large purse and large shoulder bag.  Maybe we should take a closer look at bundling 🙂 

31 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

She is In Montego Bay today.  EM

Yes, that was a change from the original itinerary.

I think we will be OK as the port schedule is showing this for Tuesday:

Not so sure about Horizon

image.png.eadd4148adfe4f0c42d21b094839b7f8.png

Unless both are out of action to allow for the repairs...

Edited by Mark_T

I am copy/pasting this from my 4/9/23 Live Blog, because this is the EXACT same stuff I plan to pack tomorrow.

6 pairs of wide-legged pants:

PXL_20230407_232935827.thumb.jpg.4e195321083670d2a319007430c2f0a1.jpg

2 maxi dresses with sweaters:

PXL_20230408_000458102.thumb.jpg.121f384058e86c6636c1331f310f02a9.jpg

3 pairs of yoga pants:

PXL_20230407_234514457.thumb.jpg.f831f208a33191a61d09aee1ef018695.jpg

2 pairs of moisture wicking trail pants:

PXL_20230407_235041568.thumb.jpg.7ceb12ba1bae65cfee3f583c84b12af4.jpg

1 swimsuit cover-up:

PXL_20230407_234732763.thumb.jpg.21328f92e4999c476dac0886247a2e86.jpg

5 long-sleeved linen shirts:

PXL_20230407_233248073.thumb.jpg.ef1dd4906671b94d9412840aa00fd643.jpg

2 cotton t-shirts:

PXL_20230407_234343252.thumb.jpg.5d59a35f8222d4f8ccf0db75a92ebb7f.jpg

2 moisture wicking t-shirts:

PXL_20230407_233507557.thumb.jpg.15d153e4f7acdcba68edddb7772a39fb.jpg

11 camisoles:

PXL_20230407_234256340.thumb.jpg.c30f3784880ddb0ae6a8daacfc38e4b8.jpg

2 swimsuit bottoms and 1 pair of slip shorts:

PXL_20230407_234636873.thumb.jpg.95c95404730b2d8ff433b29d61356653.jpg

12 pairs of underwear, 12 pairs of slipper socks, 2 pairs of cotton socks, 2 pairs of moisture-wicking socks:

PXL_20230407_234018340.thumb.jpg.1f6d625da90149e6cae5089ef67be203.jpg

1 pair of shoes:

PXL_20230407_233656054.thumb.jpg.b1d3b8ee302d682ea45a82e1445fa72f.jpg

Outside of the bundle, around the edges of the suitcase were the following:

4 collapsible storage cubbies:

PXL_20230407_233610959.thumb.jpg.ae7a7012d4b7890b79de03b0d376ced5.jpg

A collapsible hamper:

PXL_20230407_233529671.thumb.jpg.2ba0a597db95874bfd2898aa873fb498.jpg

1 collapsible foot stool:

PXL_20230407_235259610.thumb.jpg.cc539cbc1738ec2d9bdd6bbbe13dc488.jpg

The end result:

PXL_20230408_004531201.thumb.jpg.63183853d6c43bd7a0dfc27e78644afd.jpg

• Like 6

We really should do something similar, but our standard travel load is 2 x checked bags typically around 40lb and one or two carry-on depending on need.

Shorter trips we cut down to just the one checked bag.

Holy cow! Anyone looking for a last-minute deal on our Divina sailing is out of luck. The same category of cabin we are in is now $871 more per person than what we paid, plus we have $300 of OBC.

• Like 1

Holy cow! Anyone looking for a last-minute deal on our Divina sailing is out of luck....

YC looks to be sold out as well.

Just putting last few things in bags then we head to the airport in the morning.

... next stop, Miami... 🙂

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

am copy/pasting this from my 4/9/23 Live Blog, because this is the EXACT same stuff I plan to pack tomorrow.

I am thoroughly impressed with you ability to fit all of that into your suit case.  

Holy cow! Anyone looking for a last-minute deal on our Divina sailing is out of luck. The same category of cabin we are in is now $871 more per person than what we paid, plus we have $300 of OBC.

Congratulation.  I like it when things work out for the best for folks. 

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We've never been nicked for an overweight bag from MSC, the airlines yes but not MSC.  

59 minutes ago, KittyCruz said:

We've never been nicked for an overweight bag from MSC, the airlines yes but not MSC.  

Thanks.  That is comforting to know.  We are allowed bags up to 70-lbs on United so was initially concerned about MSCs showing 50-lbs.

Last night was way more hectic and less efficient than I anticipated. My hair appointment took a lot longer than I expected, considering I was only getting a haircut. Usually, my hair appointments take 4-5 hours, but that is because I get it cut, bleached, and dyed, with lots of washing and drying in between all those steps. For just a haircut, I don't think it was unreasonable of me to expect it to only take about 45 minutes, but it took almost an hour and a half!

I had planned to stop at the grocery store after my haircut to pick up my prescription, salad fixings for my lizards, cat litter, a birthday card for my niece, and some gift cards for our petsitter as well as something to eat for dinner. Well, things went sideways with that when my pharmacy texted me in the afternoon saying they were out of stock of my prescription and it would take 1-2 business days to get it in. Obviously, that wasn't going to work, so I called to see if I could have it called into another location. Fortunately, another nearby store had it. Unfortunately, that is the worst possible store for actual grocery shopping. It is tiny, has a lot less stuff, and caters to the college students on the nearby college campus.

I headed to that store to pick up my prescription and TRY to do the rest of my shopping, but quickly realized it was a lost cause. They didn't have any of the stuff I needed for my lizards (organic escarole, organic raspberries, and organic shelled peas). So I just got the prescription and then drove to the store where I had originally planned to do my shopping, falling even further behind schedule.

I was able to get my shopping done at the other store, but then I *completely* forgot to pick up anything to eat for dinner, because it wasn't on my shopping list and I was just laser-focused on completing my list. So, I didn't have a lot of options for dinner and ended up just pulling into the McDonald's which happened to be right near where I was driving when I realized I had forgotten about dinner. I pulled into the drive-through line and it just didn't move. I was in that line for over 15 minutes. I think I discovered the problem when I finally got to the window and saw they are only paying people $16.75 an hour to start. The McDonald's closest to my house, only a couple of miles away, is paying $18 an hour. This location probably can't compete for workers and is understaffed!

Anyway, I FINALLY got some crappy food and headed home. By the time I got home, it was pushing 7:00 and I still had all my laundry to do! I got that sorted and started in the wash before I even sat down to eat my sad cheeseburger and chicken nuggets.

After scarfing down my food, I worked on packing some of the stuff that is meant to be packed loose in our shared suitcase, like board and card games. Then, as soon as my first load of laundry was done in the wash, I put it in the dryer, put my second load in the wash, and then proceeded to try to paint my toenails before that first load finished in the dryer. I genuinely HATE having to paint my toenails. But it is unavoidable if I want to wear sandals at any point on the cruise. I don't need to make my fellow passengers vomit at the site of my toes. I ran a marathon back in 2016 and while training for that, both of my big toenails fell off. They have never quite grown back correctly and painting them makes them appear at least vaguely normal, but I am really bad at painting toenails and it takes forever having to wait between coats and it's hard to do anything in the meantime.

I did eventually get my toenails painted and my laundry done. I also managed to chat a bit with our petsitter while I was waiting for coats of nail polish to dry, so we definitely have everything squared away there. But I didn't make it to bed until almost 11:00, which was not at ALL my intention, since I had been hoping to shift my sleep schedule a little earlier so I could try to get to bed early tonight. We have to be up at 3:30 tomorrow morning.

But, the good news is, all I have left to do tonight is to build my bundle and do some last-minute housekeeping. Hopefully, I can be in bed by 9:00 or so.

@Mark_T I hope you have safe and smooth travels today!

• Like 4

Sorry to hear about all the trials and tribulations you ran into yesterday getting prepared for the cruise but am glad to hear that you overcame them all. 

We are looking forward to meeting you onboard in a couple of days. 

Hope for an uneventful and safe journey south on Saturday.