Viking's airfare- is the "premium economy" worth the extra money?

SoonipiLady

So my best friend has sailed Viking, I have not.  We are doing a Aon to Leon Cruise in July 2025. She's booking under a promotion as a past cruiser, and today told me that she was going to book the premium economy flights "trust her" it was worth the upgrade. Any thoughts on that for you folks? It is $1200 more! $2299, instead of $999.  That seems like a lot of extra money. I did ask her why she wanted to use the premium economy, and she said it was because it included your bags parentheses I thought international flights included a bag anyways.) no fee for extra legroom, no fee for choosing your seat. I'm not sure I can justify 2.25 times the price for extra legroom !

• Thanks 1

Well I know business class is worth the upgrade on an international, overnight flight.  It’s my understanding the premium economy seats are bigger, more comfortable and have more incline than standard seats though they are not lie-flat.  Honestly, any improvement over standard seating is probably worth it for such a long flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I booked premium economy on my last 3 international trips and it was well worth it to me not to feel like a human pretzel when I reached my destination. 

Only you can determine what extra seat and legroom is worth to you in relation to your budget. 

• Thanks 1

For me, the flight is not that long, and I'd rather have the money, even though the premium economy seats are nicer.  I have yet to pay for a checked bag on an international flight, but I know some fares now require that.  I would check with Viking on that one before making any assumptions either way.

• Like 1

Bags aside, we will pay for Premium Economy (PE) because the configuration is either 2 3 2 or 2 4 2.

We will pay for it if we can get the 2 seats (window/aisle) on the side.  

PE used to be only about $1,000.00 more for the upgrade, but now seems to be $1,200.00.

There is more leg room, a wider seat, china dishes and metal cutlery, better "service" depending on the airline, priority boarding, and depending on your status with the airline you may also get lounge access.

We will and do forego PE on Toronto to Europe flights at 7-8 hours, but will fly minimum PE if going to Asia and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viking don't operate the planes, so look at the website of the airline they are using for details of  differences between economy and premium economy and then judge whether you feel the extra cost of premium economy is worth it to you.

Only you can decide. We all have different budgets and thoughts on flights, and each airline has it own offering.

If you give us a little more info, we might be able to help more. Where are you flying from? What are Aon and Leon, so we know what country you're flying to? What airline is Viking planning to put you on? Have you checked on what your airfare would be to just do it on your own instead using Viking? If you can use Delta, I would check on Premium Select to see how the price compares to your PE quote. If you book Delta on your own, you can choose one class going over and a different class coming back, when sleeping isn't as much of an issue. We did that last year. Also, I don't know whether Viking does this (we don't sail with them), but the cruise line we use will give the customer a credit if you don't use their airfare deal, and then that credit can be used to make the flight arrangements on your own. It might be worth asking.

36 minutes ago, CielBleu said:

We did that last year. Also, I don't know whether Viking does this (we don't sail with them), but the cruise line we use will give the customer a credit if you don't use their airfare deal, and then that credit can be used to make the flight arrangements on your own. It might be worth asking.

To my knowledge and experience with Viking, there is no credit given if you make flight arrangements on your own.  Air is a totally voluntary add on.

Now, someone might know this:  If Viking are offering free air, is there any credit if you don't go with that offer?  There is obviously still a cost to Viking for that air.

When there is free air offered, we always go with it and have never asked otherwise.

25 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Now, someone might know this:  If Viking are offering free air, is there any credit if you don't go with that offer?  There is obviously still a cost to Viking for that air.

Not in the US.

5 hours ago, CielBleu said:

If you give us a little more info, we might be able to help more. Where are you flying from? What are Aon and Leon, so we know what country you're flying to? What airline is Viking planning to put you on? Have you checked on what your airfare would be to just do it on your own instead using Viking? If you can use Delta, I would check on Premium Select to see how the price compares to your PE quote. If you book Delta on your own, you can choose one class going over and a different class coming back, when sleeping isn't as much of an issue. We did that last year. Also, I don't know whether Viking does this (we don't sail with them), but the cruise line we use will give the customer a credit if you don't use their airfare deal, and then that credit can be used to make the flight arrangements on your own. It might be worth asking.

All good questions.  The OP appears to live in Williamsburg so would be flying from Richmond or Norfolk….not many (any?) international flights from either airport and would probably need connections.  Still wondering where Aon and Leon are.

Viking economy air is standard main cabin, not basic economy, and most carriers typically include 1 checked bay per person. 

Their premium economy upgrade applies to long haul flights only. Any intra US/Canada or intra Europe flights will have main cabin seating with standard legroom and the long haul flight will be in the premium economy cabin. In general premium economy seats are similar to domestic US first class seats but with slightly more legroom. As others have said the seats are wider as there is generally 1 less seat per row than main cabin. Most carriers allow for two free checked bags when flying premium economy. Service standards (catering specifically) vary widely between carriers.  

If carrier is important Viking do allow for Viking air plus ($100 service fee plus any additional airfare required) to select specific airlines/flights/routings up to 300 days prior to departure. Other than that they will auto-assign flights at around 150 days prior to departure. If you are unhappy with these flights you may be able to change using your MyViking Journey account, though alternate flights may incur additional air costs. 

Premium Economy and Business Class pricing has been quite a bit higher recently than in years past, so $1200pp round trip does not seem out of line with the market generally. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Not in the US.

Just for your information. On Avalon if it has "free air"  and if you don't want the free air you get a $1250 credit. Transfers are included with the free air-you have to pay or make your own arrangements if you take the credit instead.

• Like 2

We have often looked at the Viking Air price on the booking page, and knowing that typically the upgrade to PE is now $1,200.00 for a flight to Europe from Canada, we will price the air on our own.

In most cases - most - Viking's air price is very comparable to the airlines that we would choose to fly PE on, and in some cases, Viking is slightly cheaper.

I think it really depends on whether you WANT to fly PE over economy, and then the cost is somewhat irrelevant in my way of thinking.

On 2/3/2024 at 8:49 AM, CielBleu said:

If you give us a little more info, we might be able to help more. Where are you flying from? What are Aon and Leon, so we know what country you're flying to? 

I am not the original poster, but since this is the River Cruising thread and Viking is the line, I suspect the cruise is from Avignon to Lyon, France. Perhaps the OP has only heard the names and never seen them in print.

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/3/2024 at 10:48 AM, TikiIslandGirl said:

Just for your information. On Avalon if it has "free air"  and if you don't want the free air you get a $1250 credit. Transfers are included with the free air-you have to pay or make your own arrangements if you take the credit instead.

I can't speak for Viking either, but Scenic also gives a credit--don't know the exact amount, but somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range--if you don't take free air. I've done that because I tend to plan my own air and extend my vacation on one or both ends of the cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DougK said:

I can't speak for Viking either, but Scenic also gives a credit--don't know the exact amount, but somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range--if you don't take free air. I've done that because I tend to plan my own air and extend my vacation on one or both ends of the cruise.

If Viking do or did offer a credit, I have never been aware of this.

@Squawkman confirmed that Viking don't offer a rebate/discount in the US if you don't take the free air.  I have a cruise on the books now for later this year with Viking that is free air.  I am going to ask if that discount is available.  Being in Canada, it may be different.

I have a Viking cruise booked for June this year with free air.  I asked specifically if I did my own air would there be any compensation and Viking said no.  I was able to change the flights that they booked online with a small upcharge which was shown in the choices.  I suggest calling them and asking about your specific booking.

We have completed three Viking cruises. For the first trip we flew economy. I’m only 5’4” and 150 pounds, so I wasn’t too uncomfortable. My husband, 6’, 280 pounds, was miserable!  We upgraded to Premium Economy for our last two trips and did enjoy free drinks, bigger seats, more legroom and higher quantity food. I honest would fly economy and save the extra $$ for excursions but my husband is just too big. 

On 2/4/2024 at 7:38 AM, lackcreativity said:

I am not the original poster, but since this is the River Cruising thread and Viking is the line, I suspect the cruise is from Avignon to Lyon, France. Perhaps the OP has only heard the names and never seen them in print.

Or they were on their phone with voice "recognition". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We choose the 'basement aquarium-view' cabins and the $ saved defrays the airline cost in overall trip $.

Using V Air+ with the fee allows booking preferred flights several months early when best selection open and prices earlier are usually lower.

Compare flight $ going +/- 1-2 days earlier to see how much difference in flight cost.  My reading shows defaulting to V free air is going to give connecting flights with bad layovers possible (due to bulk air carrier contract) even when nonstops are offered.

We used V free air recently, paid deviation fee for custom choice 8 months ahead of sailing when almost 98% of seats open to choose (used Seatguru web to check seats to pick/avoid).  Given the base savings of V free air, we paid +$400 pp to get nonstop  Munich-Atlanta, avoiding connecting flt with 3hr layover.  We paid +$250 pp for Comfort+   Research what you want indepently, know $, with 1-2-3 flight choices before adding V Air+ fee ($150 pp?)

I know of no V air credit for not using 'free' air.  V promos in past have shifted 1-2 months with cabin pricing higher with free air, then 1-2 months lower cabin $ with air $ add-on offered.

OPPORTUNITY is to use V air (reduced or free), pay for V custom air+, then do extra travel before/after V sailing.  I believe V custom air allows flights up to +/-30 window around V sailing dates.  Custom air allows flying thru other cities besides sailing's start/endpoints.

BTW at least 1 cruiseline now charges $75 pp custom air consultation fee to discuss preferred flights, options.  If you decide to book with custom air, the consultation fee is credit against full custom air fee.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:34 AM, SoonipiLady said:

..... she was going to book the premium economy flights "trust her" it was worth the upgrade. Any thoughts on that for you folks? It is $1200 more! $2299, instead of $999.  ..... I'm not sure I can justify 2.25 times the price for extra legroom !

Regarding original question, we have tried both Delta Comfort+, Prem Select and prefer the Comfort+ value over the more expensive Premium-Sel.   Extra legroom is one element that matters the taller you are 😉.  On international, some flights only offer Prem-Sel at a steep add-on.

For example, Comfort+ gets 2-3 inches extra leg/recline each, 1/2 in. seat and then Prem Sel gets another 2-3 inches l/r each, 1 in seat.  Better menu for Prem Sel is a minor perk. 

We tried Virgin economy Delight and it was similar to Comfort+ upgrade at modest extra $.  

I have been favorably surprised when comparing flight choices about savings when mixing main cabin one direction and an upgrade seat on return (Delta allows mixing fare classes, others??)   You may have that mixing choice with direct airline booking but not when getting flight quotes on 'flt search' websites.

We are taking our first Viking river cruise from Canada and purchased with “included” air and paid the $100/person fee that was supposed to allow us to have the flights we wanted.  First, we are about to cancel the Viking air and our agent has confirmed we will each get credited back just over $1000 which was the “air” portion of what we paid.  This may not be the case with Americans as was suggested above.  Why are we cancelling? Because I called and spent 2 hours trying to be very patient with the person who answered the phone…. clearly not a TA…. every question I asked resulted in “I need to ask my supervisor, let me put you on a short hold”.  I was trying so hard to be nice and patient but “can I email with you” or “can I give you parameters and you can get back in touch with me” both were answered “no”.  I just don’t have the time to stay on the phone and walk her through every option I’ve already looked up myself to see if Viking will allow it and how much extra they will charge.  Any “deviation” incurs an extra $100 fee above what we already paid and every stopover $200 and they add these together and it’s all per person.  Beyond that, the fine print says you may not get airmiles for your flights.  Plus they won’t use certain air partners (we are Star Alliance and our best connections were with Turkish but Viking won’t work with them).  It’s just easier to do it yourself or work with a real TA who doesn’t waste your time.

Second, about Premium Economy (or Business for that matter).  If you are price motivated or working with a budget these options will really never be “worth it”.  They are designed for people who are not paying for themselves and want more comfort that the company will pay for, since they arrive well-rested and ready to work.  As I get older, sleeping on an overnight flight becomes worth “a price above rubies”, and I sometimes choose to save my pennies for these categories of flight, but any time money is an object it will never be worth it from a pure financial perspective.  Everyone on the plane is going to get to the same place and often the surcharge is MORE than you would pay to stay in a hotel overnight if you arrive a day early to “recover”.  So if money is tight and time is more available, this can be a better option - just plan to fly a day early, stay in an affordable hotel, and you’ll still start your cruise feeling relaxed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JTor said:

We are taking our first Viking river cruise from Canada and purchased with “included” air and paid the $100/person fee that was supposed to allow us to have the flights we wanted.  First, we are about to cancel the Viking air and our agent has confirmed we will each get credited back just over $1000 which was the “air” portion of what we paid.  This may not be the case with Americans as was suggested above.  Why are we cancelling? Because I called and spent 2 hours trying to be very patient with the person who answered the phone…. clearly not a TA…. every question I asked resulted in “I need to ask my supervisor, let me put you on a short hold”.  I was trying so hard to be nice and patient but “can I email with you” or “can I give you parameters and you can get back in touch with me” both were answered “no”.  I just don’t have the time to stay on the phone and walk her through every option I’ve already looked up myself to see if Viking will allow it and how much extra they will charge.  Any “deviation” incurs an extra $100 fee above what we already paid and every stopover $200 and they add these together and it’s all per person.  Beyond that, the fine print says you may not get airmiles for your flights.  Plus they won’t use certain air partners (we are Star Alliance and our best connections were with Turkish but Viking won’t work with them).  It’s just easier to do it yourself or work with a real TA who doesn’t waste your time.

Second, about Premium Economy (or Business for that matter).  If you are price motivated or working with a budget these options will really never be “worth it”.  They are designed for people who are not paying for themselves and want more comfort that the company will pay for, since they arrive well-rested and ready to work.  As I get older, sleeping on an overnight flight becomes worth “a price above rubies”, and I sometimes choose to save my pennies for these categories of flight, but any time money is an object it will never be worth it from a pure financial perspective.  Everyone on the plane is going to get to the same place and often the surcharge is MORE than you would pay to stay in a hotel overnight if you arrive a day early to “recover”.  So if money is tight and time is more available, this can be a better option - just plan to fly a day early, stay in an affordable hotel, and you’ll still start your cruise feeling relaxed.

While I appreciate your frustrations, please don't take offence to this response.

When you are booking through the cruise line, you are booking into contracted rates that they have negotiated and they do not include every airline and every route and every time slot.

The contracted rates are also based on flying in and landing the day the cruise begins, and leaving the day the cruise ends.  If you want to come in early, do a stopover, then these are outside of the contracted dates and rates and that is why there is an additional fee per person per deviation.

Contracted rates may not allow upgrades and they may not pay full air miles.  This is no different than if you were booking on AC, you would see that the lowest fare only includes 25% or something like that of the air miles.  It is not just Viking - this is what the airline offers too.

We have flown in and out from 10 Viking Cruises now from Toronto and have always gotten what we wanted in flights, when using Viking Air Plus.  Sometimes we could book upgrades and sometimes we could not.  Perhaps we were lucky.

We always call with our top three selected routes and airlines, but when we have booked with Air Canada, or Lufthansa we have gotten what we wanted.

I completely hear your frustration with the agent.  The best advice is if that happens again, politely end your call and call back.  You will get someone new that knows, or the other strategy is to ask politely for a supervisor and have the conversation with that person.

Sorry that you experienced this frustration.

We also can and do book on our own.  We have two pending cruises with Viking and we are watching the air... when we call - generally 300 days out - we ask for what we want, and if that is not available, then we book ourselves.

• Like 1