Holland America prices for excursions?

I am trying to budget for an Alaska cruise and was checking the Holland America website which shows some attractive Alaska itineraries.  However, I can't determine excursions and excursions pricing.  When I chatted with Holland America, I was told that I needed to book first before I could get any excursion pricing.  How is someone supposed to budget for a cruise if the pricing is not shown?

Edited by leishirsute

16 hours ago, leishirsute said:

I am trying to budget for an Alaska cruise and was checking the Holland America website which shows some attractive Alaska itineraries.  However, I can't determine excursions and excursions pricing.  When I chatted with Holland America, I was told that I needed to book first before I could get any excursion pricing.  How is someone supposed to budget for a cruise if the pricing is not shown?

When are you thinking of going? Excursion prices for 2025, for example, might not be set yet.

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

When are you thinking of going? Excursion prices for 2025, for example, might not be set yet.

I was just browsing but checking 2024 cruises to get an idea of excursion pricing.

In the past, VIking has emailed to me an excursions pricing example for the itinerary prior to booking if the itinerary was not a brand new one.

Edited by leishirsute

16 minutes ago, leishirsute said:

In the past, VIking has emailed to me an excursions pricing example for the itinerary prior to booking if the itinerary was not a brand new one.

Note that I said many - not all - cruise lines don't necessarily have excursion pricing readily available.  Apparently Viking is one that does.  I understand your frustration, which is why I have suggested posting this on the HAL board as one possible way to get some answers.  If nothing else, maybe just pad your budget with an artificial amount - maybe $150 pp per excursion? - to at least have something in consideration that would hopefully cover what the actual cost might be.

I hope you find the information you are looking for and can book what sounds like a very nice cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Alaska ports are very walkable for touring on your own… at no further impact to your budget.  If you want a good idea of typical excursions, take a look at some roll calls, or at least the roll call for the sailing you are interested in.  They will be posting private excursions with costs in those threads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leishirsute said:

I was just browsing but checking 2024 cruises to get an idea of excursion pricing.

That should give you a pretty fair idea of the costs. On our Alaska cruise in 2022 we used the HAL excursions. Some of the special ones were very expensive, but ended up being our favorites, as Alaska is such a special place.

5 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

That should give you a pretty fair idea of the costs. On our Alaska cruise in 2022 we used the HAL excursions. Some of the special ones were very expensive, but ended up being our favorites, as Alaska is such a special place.

I think the problem is the OP was using 2024 simply as a reference but has not been able to secure any information on the excursion costs, and through this thread is trying to find that out.

As you have been on HAL to Alaska relatively recently and used their excursions, perhaps you could provide information as to the ones you took and what they cost at the time so the OP can get a rough idea for his budget consideration.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I think the problem is the OP was using 2024 simply as a reference but has not been able to secure any information on the excursion costs, and through this thread is trying to find that out.

As you have been on HAL to Alaska relatively recently and used their excursions, perhaps you could provide information as to the ones you took and what they cost at the time so the OP can get a rough idea for his budget consideration.

My first suggestion to @leishirsutewould be to call the excursions dept. at HAL. That's the straightest way to find out: 206-626-7320. They might have an 800 number, but this is the number I have. They will know the prices and what's being offered, at least this year. I'm happy to check out the cost of what we did if I have an idea of what the OP is interested in! 

For example, we splurged on the helicopter to the Mendenhall Glacier; a bit expensive, but would we ever do that otherwise? And it was really memorable, not only the walk on the glacier, but also the helicopter over the glacier. Spectacular.

• Thanks 1