Anyone had a move over offer?

Often read people getting move over offers or move down offers. Never had one myself. (Not that I could have always taken it in some cases if it was..).

Anyone in AUS or NZ been lucky enough to get one offered to them? Wondering if they offer them to those residing outside of the US?

We had a move down offer that we had to take if we still wanted to go on the P&O cruise.

The choice was move from a mini-suite to an oceanview and cruise for free or get your cruise fare refunded and don't cruise.

Since we had already paid for a hotel in Sydney and our train fares to Sydney we took the first option and had a wonderful cruise on the Pacific Explorer.

This was when cruising had just started up again and they had booked too many mini suites since we were suppose to cruise on the Adventure and they moved everyone to the Explorer and shortened our cruise from 11 days to 8 for which we received $500 OBC.

Free cruise plus $500 OBC, plus shareholder credit, no wonder we had a good time. 😄

I really don't think we will ever get another offer like that again.

• Like 2

Haven't heard of move over offers post covid but I have read of move down offers for free and yes, I would be tempted.   Had a move over offer 2019 for a month which included an upgrade if we cancelled a cruise from Singapore to Southampton for the return of our fare.  We were more than happy to oblige.   I would not be surprised if move over offers return as cruises currently appear to be heavily booked.  Only ever heard of Princess making move over offers.

Edited by Rassa

Not entirely sure what a 'move over offer' is?  Seems to be an offer to forego a booking or accept an alternative of lesser value.  Is that right?

53 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Not entirely sure what a 'move over offer' is?  Seems to be an offer to forego a booking or accept an alternative of lesser value.  Is that right?

Not quite, you get an offer to switch to another cruise, sometimes with a cabin upgrade, and get a serious amount of FCCs as well. Worth taking if you are flexible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There have been plenty of occasions that I would've been ok to take a move-over offer, but I've never been offered one. I would be more than happy to accept a downgrade if it was offered though! That wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

We have had one, which worked in our favour. It was a full refund plus a free cruise of a similar length within the following 6 months. 

We had others through covid, where the cancelled cruises allowed you to get a refund, a credit, or a move-over to a sweetened deal for a specific future cruise.

We had another that we declined, as it wouldn't have compensated for flights that had already been booked & paid, and also messed-up the leave we had put aside for it. A forced move-over would have been far from lucky.

We’ve been lucky to be offered move over deals twice, both pre Covid.

First was a cruise from Adelaide to Singapore, where we gave up our balcony cabin for an inside cabin of our choice on the same voyage, in return for a refund of our cruise fare as refundable OBC and specialty dining. 

Second time was Sydney to NZ return, where we had to give up that particular cruise completely and choose another in return for our cruise fare as refundable OBC and an upgrade from a standard balcony to a deluxe aft balcony. 

We elected to take up both offers as they worked for us and thanks to the advice from fellow CCers, I knew to get right back to them and grab them straight away!

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not quite, you get an offer to switch to another cruise, sometimes with a cabin upgrade, and get a serious amount of FCCs as well. Worth taking if you are flexible.

Thanks, Julie, for the explanation. Certainly, worth considering depending on the offer. We've never had that happen. 

There is a current thread on the Princess page of Cruise Critic re move over offers. I am currently reading and interested as we have not receive a cabin for our upcoming cruise and it is sold out, so very interested.

I really had not heard of any move over offers since the resuming of cruising since Covid, but apparently there has been. I have had a couple of offers in the past, but none we could take up. The best one though was when I said we couldn’t take the offer, the next day we got a full suite, so obviously they wanted our category of mini suite.

Looks like I may get my name pulled out of a hat one day yet 🤞

The luckiest I have ever been was getting called up for deal or no deal 2 months ago on HAL.

1 hour ago, resordanis said:

There is a current thread on the Princess page of Cruise Critic re move over offers. I am currently reading and interested as we have not receive a cabin for our upcoming cruise and it is sold out, so very interested.

I really had not heard of any move over offers since the resuming of cruising since Covid, but apparently there has been. I have had a couple of offers in the past, but none we could take up. The best one though was when I said we couldn’t take the offer, the next day we got a full suite, so obviously they wanted our category of mini suite.

It is pretty common for guarantee cabins not to be allocated until pretty late, even when showing as sold out.

With your earlier move-over offer, I figure there was someone in a suite who was happy to take the deal. Even if they were short by a balcony, that could upgrade someone from a balcony into your mini putting you into a suite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

It is pretty common for guarantee cabins not to be allocated until pretty late, even when showing as sold out.

With your earlier move-over offer, I figure there was someone in a suite who was happy to take the deal. Even if they were short by a balcony, that could upgrade someone from a balcony into your mini putting you into a suite.

With our next cruise Geoff, I am sure they will find us a cabin, but either way not fussed. The problem was at the time of booking they were selling balconies and deluxe balconies for the same price, so obviously we chose the deluxe! You are probably right on the full suite offer, but at the time, we were happy! These days they upsell everything ! Hate booking guarantees though and every time I do, I say never again!

• Like 2

2019 world cruise received exceptionally generous move over offer.  I had already organised house sitters for pets and other stuff so declined.  I know a lady who accepted the offer and transferred to WC 2020, well we know what appended there.  She never got to do WC and had to argue with Princess to be able to use her future cruise credit when cruising resumed.  I am so pleased I just refused the offer and went.  Saw so many things and enjoyed every bit.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, resordanis said:

Hate booking guarantees though and every time I do, I say never again!

I usually book guarantees because I'm a deal shopper and buy most of my cruises last minute, after final payment date when prices drop. I've just booked B2B on the Royal Princess for next month and, strangely, when booking the Drop and Go offers I was able to select my cabins on both cruises. That never happens!

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 8:13 PM, mum and son said:

I usually book guarantees because I'm a deal shopper and buy most of my cruises last minute, after final payment date when prices drop. I've just booked B2B on the Royal Princess for next month and, strangely, when booking the Drop and Go offers I was able to select my cabins on both cruises. That never happens!

Enjoy!!

• Like 1