Best of Italy and Croatia Excursions

Hi everyone, 

We are taking the celebrity constellation out of Ravenna, Italy, 11 days ending in Rome August16-26th. I am looking for port excursions suggestions. What are my must do's and what ports do you think we can fend for ourselves or use other tours. Any suggestions would be very helpful. On side note we are traveling with both sets of our parents in their 70's but they are experienced travelers as well as two teenage girls. Suggestions on transportation companies as well as hotel recommendations in Venice and Rome would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.  

Hotel recommendation for Rome is Hotel Delle Nazioni. We stayed here for 8 nights before our TA cruise in 2022.  It was a great location, just a 1 minute walk from Trevi Fountain. The complimentary breakfast buffet was very good.  We’d stay there again. 

• Like 1

First, WELCOME to Cruise Critic.  Lots of great info here!

Transportation company in Rome = Romeinlimo.  We have used them for transportation and private tours and they are highly recommended on these boards.  Great company & very reliable.  Good for your transfer from ship to Rome.

Port of call Boards are located under "categories" on these boards.

Also, check out the "roll call" for your specific sailing - also under categories.   This is where people from your specific cruise talk, exchange info, and set up private tours etc.   Since you are a large multi-generation group, you will really benefit from private tours as they will be much cheaper per person & a smaller total group.  Much more personal attention.

Another suggestion in Rome and Venice - Walks of  Italy.  Excellent walking tours to places not open to the public in places like the Coliseum.  We also took their after hours tour of the Sistine Chapel and that was outstanding.  See it without the crowds!  Check out their site.

Hotel - How many rooms do you need?  - With that group, you should really think about an apartment.  We have rented apartments in both Venice and Rome and it would be great for you.  So much more space for everyone and yet you could all be together with a living room etc. Just a thought.  

OK, that's enough info for now.  Happy planning!!  

• Like 1

We are taking the same cruise in May.  One of the things I liked about it is that the ports are very doable on your own.  I don't see much need for guided tours on this itinerary.  Check out a few guidebooks and decide what interests you.  I would agree with the information posted already.  There is also good information in the Rick Steve's travel forums as well as whatsinportdotcom.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hornerfamilyny said:

Sorry about that! Trieste, Zadar, Dubrovnik, Split, Brindisi, Kotor, Amalfi coast, then ends in Rome 

No tour is needed for Kotor which is a delightful walled city , tender will dock a few minute walk to its entrance, this was one of our favorite Mediterranean ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

We are taking the same cruise in May.  One of the things I liked about it is that the ports are very doable on your own.  I don't see much need for guided tours on this itinerary.  Check out a few guidebooks and decide what interests you.  I would agree with the information posted already.  There is also good information in the Rick Steve's travel forums as well as whatsinportdotcom.

Rick Steves videos are available on YouTube, great info. Suggested roll call is also a great suggestion we did mostly private tours with fellow passengers.

8 hours ago, George C said:

No tour is needed for Kotor which is a delightful walled city , tender will dock a few minute walk to its entrance, this was one of our favorite Mediterranean ports.

Agreed.

Dubrovnik also is a small very-walkable old town.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, George C said:

Rick Steves videos are available on YouTube, great info. Suggested roll call is also a great suggestion we did mostly private tours with fellow passengers.

Rick Steves is a great source of info.  Almost as good as us!  LOL

Seriously, Rick Steves has a great free app with excellent pod casts.  Check them out!

• Like 1

Krka National Park

Lake Bled

Dubrovnik Walking the Walled city and all the narrow streets

Kotor just walking thru the town or maybe a small boat tour

Amalfi Coast, there are too many choices depends on what you are interested in.

Zadar!!! The Sea Organ, do not miss it.

Kotor is spectacular just walking around.

Spilt is also just great for walking about. But also there are ruins (Domitian palace, Salonika, etc.), all the Venetian "leftovers," etc.

We once kayaked over to an island in the bay at Dubrovnik, lovely. The water will be at its warmest on your trip. Of COURSE there are the Game of Thrones tours...

And from Split we once did a fabulous small eco tour of small farms and wineries. Saw a donkey crushing olives to make oil as done for 4,000 years. They grow oysters on ropes up the coast... You will be there in time for great options with fruit in season, etc.

Amalfi Coast: You can go to Positano, or Capri, but not both. The latter will be more crowded (but it will ALL be crowded, lol). Try to skip Pompeii this time if that's a choice, a whole bunch of time in a vehicle. A tour of smaller villages--by boat!--is best.

Two things: look up all the festivals that will be happening when you are in these ports. Sometimes you hit it just right--as we did once in Dubrovnik--for great fun.

For the girls, make a game of finding the winged Venetian lions of St Mark carved on pillars, over gateways,  etc., in all these cities (except Amalfi coast), which once belonged to The Most Serene Republic of Venice. The same ones that are on the pillars in Plaza San Marco next to the Doge's Palace in Venice. They always are holding a book. (You can also find them widely across the Greek Isles and into Turkey too...)

Edited by sofietucker

By chance, if you are GAME OF THRONES fans, there are dedicated tours to this in Dubrovnik.  Otherwise it is beautiful to walk around.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, George C said:

Yes we loved that but still needs a taxi to get there .

You can also walk to the old town from the port.  It takes about 40 minutes but it is a nice walk.

Or just take the local bus.  The bus stop is right outside the gates at the port just right turn right about 100 feet from the exit - buy your round trip ticket at the newspaper stand located right there (very inexpensive) and ride with the locals & other passengers - drops you off outside the entrance to old town Dubrovnik. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

By chance, if you are GAME OF THRONES fans, there are dedicated tours to this in Dubrovnik.  Otherwise it is beautiful to walk around.

I wish I had know before hand about the game of thrones tour.

23 minutes ago, George C said:

I wish I had know before hand about the game of thrones tour.

Yeah we went a couple of years ago.  Some of the show was shot in Croatia.  You will find that there is (or was?) a GOT shop in Dubrovnik old town.  You can take a picture sitting on the replica iron throne!

IMG_0233.JPG

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1