Downgrading Premier to Plus

PATRLR

Hi folks,

I recently booked a cruise and had the TA select the Premier option.  The more I read, the more I realize the only thing we are likely to use from Premier is the 2 specialty dining options.  We won't use the extra internet, fitness classes, deserts, casual dining, expensive drinks and we avoid the photographers.    Just doesn't seem we need the Premiere, Plus will do just fine.

We are not at final payment yet. FWIW, we're in a guarantee category.

Before I call the TA, I like to be at least somewhat informed about how this should go.  So, should I be able to call and request a downgrade to Plus?  Anything I should be aware of in doing so?  Anyone actually do this?  

@PATRLR Your TA *should* be able to cancel the Premier and add Plus back in.  I'd be surprised if they cannot, but I do not have first-hand experience doing so.

Also...are you *really* sure you want to do this?  You did not mention what ship you'll be on...Premier allows unlimited casual dining.  If you are on a ship that has Alfredo's...well...just make sure you want to toss that!  And while *nobody* books Premier just for the reserved show seating and the unlimited photos, those are pretty nice perks to have.  We booked Plus for years; tried Premier for our last 2 cruises and we were pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

@PATRLR Your TA *should* be able to cancel the Premier and add Plus back in.  I'd be surprised if they cannot, but I do not have first-hand experience doing so.

Also...are you *really* sure you want to do this?  You did not mention what ship you'll be on...Premier allows unlimited casual dining.  If you are on a ship that has Alfredo's...well...just make sure you want to toss that!  And while *nobody* books Premier just for the reserved show seating and the unlimited photos, those are pretty nice perks to have.  We booked Plus for years; tried Premier for our last 2 cruises and we were pleasantly surprised.

Thanks.  We're on Sky for the fjords cruise July 13.  I just don't see us using the casual dining option and even if we use it more than twice we can pay as we go a few times and still probably be ahead of the game.

And I have no doubt we will not use the photos.  It's been years since we allowed a ships photog to take our picture - we tend to avoid them entirely.

Edited by PATRLR

8 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Your TA *should* be able to cancel the Premier and add Plus back in.  I'd be surprised if they cannot, but I do not have first-hand experience doing so.

The OP has already said they would not use the casual dining. If it is just the casual dining you are getting the premier for $20 per day per person is a lot for Alfredo’s in my opinion. We have been very happy with the plus since the pandemic   95% of all of our drinks are covered plus grats and Wi-Fi. Not sure what else I could want. On our recent 10 day cruise on the Crown we only used 2 of our 4 casual meals at Vines (1 charcuterie plate is plenty for 2 people and they do allow it). If your TA can’t do it you need a new TA

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

You can have your TA make the downgrade to Plus and they should refund you the difference. Based on our recent 7 day cruise in 2024 with Premier:

Internet: For my wife and I, this is a must, so no matter the package we would have purchased it; however, we only used it for 2 devices, even though Premiere offers 4 devices per person. So the extra devices was a waste for us.

Alcoholic Drinks: I don't drink Whiskey, Bourbon or Wine and those were the primary ones which were more than $15/drink. I only ordered 2 drinks that were more than $15 and they were $18. So for my wife and I, premiere was a waste

Premium Deserts: We had it a few times but never more than once in a day. Plus allows 2x a day, which in my opinion is more than enough. Not sure why anyone would want to eat it more than even once a day, let alone more than 2x a day.

Specialty Dining: This could be worth it but if this is the only reason, then not worth getting Premiere. On our cruise, we only used it once and didn't go to the second one because we didn't want to get dressed up for it. 

Casual Dining: This could be one that would benefit cruisers who enjoy eating in the casual dining restaurants. The Discovery Sushi place was decent but the Pre-Fix limits what you can order and I would think it would get old eating it every day. Gigi's wasn't that great when we went so wouldn't ever eat there again.

Photos: This was actually a good deal. I am not big on photos, but we took photos on embarkations, and at every port. We also took a few photos on various evenings. I would recommend visiting the photo center before the end of the cruise; especially, if your photos do not show up. The facial recognition won't pick up every photo you have taken. 

Princess Prizes: We didn't win anything but who knows if you won something big, it could be worthwhile. 

Production Shows: We didn't go to any of the shows but would think the seat reservations could be worthwhile. 

For our next cruise, we will only be getting the Plus Package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will need to discuss this with your TA. In theory yes, you can just downgrade to the plus and save the $20 per person per day. This isn't always the case though as if you were booked under a promo that had the premier as part of the pricing structure not an add on then in order to change it, it may be necessary to reprice the entire cruise which may end up costing you more (so you might as well keep what you have). So you will have to speak with your TA to see if you can change it.

• Thanks 1

If you are before final payment, your TA should be able to cancel Premier and add Plus.  You may get some flack (oh...that was part of the promotion ya da ya da).  There should not be any refund coming.  Plus would be paid along with final payment (unless purchased separately).  

Compose at the same time, but @joeyjeremiah beat me to the submit button.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hatchda said:

You can have your TA make the downgrade to Plus and they should refund you the difference. Based on our recent 7 day cruise in 2024 with Premier:

thank you.  I think your experience would very closely match ours except I'm pretty sure we'd use a couple specialty meals.

To those that commented about Premier being part of package, not to worry.  I asked the TA to add Premier (he was preparing to add Plus), so, no way ti was part of a package.

Thanks for everyone's help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am like you, I won't be using everything that is in the Premier package, but as my son said, "I am tired of them nickel and dimeing me every time I turn around, so when I get the premier package, "everything" that I will be using will/should be covered!

7 minutes ago, beshears said:

I am like you, I won't be using everything that is in the Premier package, but as my son said, "I am tired of them nickel and dimeing me every time I turn around, so when I get the premier package, "everything" that I will be using will/should be covered!

This pretty much echoes the Princess advertising - Save On Things You're Gonna Do Anyway.  If the things are worth $20/day to you, great.  Me, I'd run the risk of a bit of nickling and diming.

2 hours ago, beshears said:

That was part of my thinking when I booked it.  Being that this is our first Princess cruise, my thinking was, I don't know what I will or won't want.  But, after really looking and thinking, I'm pretty sure most of the extras are stuff we just won't use.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beshears said:

“Everything is a loaded phrase. How about the 3rd or 4th specialty dinner or bottles of wine or drinks over $20. Those are just some of the things I see.