Anyone able to get a kettle for their room? (Not UK cruise)

dizgal64

We were on the Sapphire Jan 4-20 S. America and Antarctica and our steward brought us a kettle. I don’t know how many they have on board but we requested it right after boarding and he brought it no problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

The water at the buffet is hot. The water at the International Cafe is hot.  Just a few steps to get water if they don't have kettles.

Well, I was thinking of a way to have my coffee as soon as I want to get up and not have to leave the room(we like to sit on our balcony in the morn with our coffee). Last princess cruise we ordered off the paper menu the night before. The few mornings we did that the coffee was pretty bad. And I’m not a coffee snob. We found that ordering an americano from the ice cream/coffee place on the deck pool was the best bet but my hubby was nice enough to do that and wait in line. Since then I’ve discovered some pretty good instant single servings of coffee I thought we could use and just order the hot water or ask for a kettle. Once I did order tea from room service and of course that’s not going to stay hot long. But if that’s my only in room option I’ll do it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pompeii said:

We were on the Sapphire Jan 4-20 S. America and Antarctica and our steward brought us a kettle. I don’t know how many they have on board but we requested it right after boarding and he brought it no problem. 

This is great news!! Thank you. Wish me luck! Lol

• Like 1

Just now, dizgal64 said:

Well, I was thinking of a way to have my coffee as soon as I want to get up and not have to leave the room(we like to sit on our balcony in the morn with our coffee). Last princess cruise we ordered off the paper menu the night before. The few mornings we did that the coffee was pretty bad. And I’m not a coffee snob. We found that ordering an americano from the ice cream/coffee place on the deck pool was the best bet but my hubby was nice enough to do that and wait in line. Since then I’ve discovered some pretty good instant single servings of coffee I thought we could use and just order the hot water or ask for a kettle. Once I did order tea from room service and of course that’s not going to stay hot long. But if that’s my only in room option I’ll do it. 

Room service can deliver any hot beverages on the app. We've been able to start the day with piping hot Americanos.

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Room service can deliver any hot beverages on the app. We've been able to start the day with piping hot Americanos.

Hmmm we would order coffee thru room service on the phone and that took a very long time but was regular coffee. Where is the americano coming from when you order on the app? I don’t think we could order that early in the morn. It was not on the menu I don’t think of what was available. We got it at other times and ordered other drinks too during the day

A different reason but similar result:

I was recuperating from a knee injury and brought a hot water bottle on my cruise...I explained the situation to my room steward who checked with his supervisor, and voila! I received a kettle. 

We were on Emerald in January. Asked  cabin steward when he welcomed us for a kettle. Received in  a couple of hours. Did have to bring the tea bags cups and milk from the buffet.

Did mean we could have a proper cup of tea rather than what the Americans serve.😉

• Like 3

We have the room steward for one... need a good reason. He did hunt one up but it took a couple of days. Forget why DH wanted it, but, in true form, he never used it once!

Have always had kettle on Japanese cruises and last year in the Mediterranean on Enchanted we had a kettle in room.  No kettle on Caribbean Princess last year on Greenland cruise.

16 hours ago, dizgal64 said:

Hmmm we would order coffee thru room service on the phone and that took a very long time but was regular coffee. Where is the americano coming from when you order on the app? I don’t think we could order that early in the morn. It was not on the menu I don’t think of what was available. We got it at other times and ordered other drinks too during the day

It's available 24 hours a day.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:54 PM, dizgal64 said:

We will be on sapphire in May to Alaska. It would be great if I could have hot water in the room. The room service hot water doesn’t come piping hot or stay hot. 
TIA

Tea kettle will NOT be provided. Too much of a fire hazard for SOLAS to allow.

We’ve gotten a kettle on two cruises we've taken outside of those sailing from the UK; one out of San Francisco and one out of Copenhagen.  

These are Princess issued kettles.  Just to be clear these are small electric kettles, most often found on cruises out of the UK, but can be requested on cruises departing other ports. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

It won’t be a huge deal if I can’t get one but this doesn’t jive with what people have reported above. Plus, they usually have them on cruises out of the UK. I’ve even seen cruise YouTube channels report they got one. But again, that was a UK port

1 hour ago, milolii said:

We’ve gotten a kettle on two cruises we've taken outside of those sailing from the UK; one out of San Francisco and one out of Copenhagen.  

These are Princess issued kettles.  Just to be clear these are small electric kettles, most often found on cruises out of the UK, but can be requested on cruises departing other ports. 

Thank you

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's available 24 hours a day.

Man. We were on an 11 day cruise last May and I never saw it on the app anywhere as an option. I sure hope it’s there for the next cruise 

On 2/7/2024 at 1:45 PM, rbtan said:

Can you provide the section of SOLAS that mentions kettles?

Seems odd that if they are such a fire hazard that they are provided in the UK and OZ market.

I suspect it's an revenue hazard and not a fire hazard in the other markets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Have always had kettle on Japanese cruises and last year in the Mediterranean on Enchanted we had a kettle in room.  No kettle on Caribbean Princess last year on Greenland cruise.

Interesting.  Did you request a kettle on the Enchanted?  We were on her for a Mediterranean cruise in June and there was no kettle.  Not a problem for us because we prefer to get our coffee and tea at the IC.

1 minute ago, mevs904 said:

Interesting.  Did you request a kettle on the Enchanted?  We were on her for a Mediterranean cruise in June and there was no kettle.  Not a problem for us because we prefer to get our coffee and tea at the IC.

No request, just there when we boarded, love my early morning cup of tea while checking emails etc before getting dressed and venturing out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rbtan said:

Not a fire hazard for Japan cruises, UK cruises or for us on Mediterranean cruise..All had kettles in cabins.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 3:59 PM, startedwithamouse said:

The water at the buffet is hot. The water at the International Cafe is hot.  Just a few steps to get water if they don't have kettles.

True.....I bring a metal teapot with me. It keeps the water hot.