FYI one device wifi switching devices!

FlightCrew777

Yep...you really don't even have to do anything special to switch.  When you bring up the second device the system senses that you only have a 1 device plan and asks you "Do you want to disconnect the other device" (or some such prompt) and you are good to go.  The first device does NOT need to log off.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlightCrew777 said:

Confirming if you purchase WiFi for one device it’s super easy to switch from one device to another! Another pleasant surprise the new Princess App offers! Enjoy! 

Yes, you are correct.  This has been the case since Medallion Net was introduced several years ago.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, you are correct.  This has been the case since Medallion Net was introduced several years ago.

It's one of the *few* things about Princess IT that has simply worked from the beginning!  (PROBABLY a totally different networking vendor from any of the current crop!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
28 minutes ago, antsp said:

Just use your phone as a hot spot, the you can share the WiFi with upto 9 devices 

Not all phones allow you to share a wifi connection. 

5 hours ago, antsp said:

Any decent modern smartphone will

But that means 9 people moving as a cluster together throughout the ship, trying to maintain their connections to the central phone! I can't imagine trying to get 9 seats all grouped together in the theater.  Or 9 seats together in the buffet. (Technically possible,  but NOT FEASIBLE!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

But that means 9 people moving as a cluster together throughout the ship, trying to maintain their connections to the central phone! I can't imagine trying to get 9 seats all grouped together in the theater.  Or 9 seats together in the buffet. (Technically possible,  but NOT FEASIBLE!)

I saw a YouTube video the other day about portable routers.  These could be hooked up to a single WiFi signal at a hotel or on a cruise ship and would allow multiple people or devices to be connected through that router.  It seemed to make sense for times when two or more people were together in a cabin, but it wouldn't do much for walking around the ship or connecting in the buffet or a lounge, unless you carried the router around with you and set it up where you were.

I found a thread from 2021 on the HAL boards about using these portable routers.  The issue then was bandwidth and latency due to satellite internet limitations.  With StarLink becoming widespread, I'd think that problem might be going away. 

52 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

I saw a YouTube video the other day about portable routers.  These could be hooked up to a single WiFi signal at a hotel or on a cruise ship and would allow multiple people or devices to be connected through that router.  It seemed to make sense for times when two or more people were together in a cabin, but it wouldn't do much for walking around the ship or connecting in the buffet or a lounge, unless you carried the router around with you and set it up where you were.

I found a thread from 2021 on the HAL boards about using these portable routers.  The issue then was bandwidth and latency due to satellite internet limitations.  With StarLink becoming widespread, I'd think that problem might be going away. 

My point exactly!

• 1 month later...

Having 'X' people sharing a router, even if it was in proximity to the 'X' people would still mean that all would have to share the same '3-4'megabit connection. Starlink is much faster, but the connection was throttled to '3-4' megabits on my Princess cruises last March and July, and on my HAL cruise in October. 

On 2/8/2024 at 3:31 AM, antsp said:

Not all cell phone providers will though. Verizon users need to be connected to cell service to use a hotspot.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Not all cell phone providers will though. Verizon users need to be connected to cell service to use a hotspot.

apparently it's the phone not the provider, it's blocked on iphones, not on Samsung. 

Edited by antsp

1 hour ago, antsp said:

apparently it's the phone not the provider, it's blocked on iphones, not on Samsung. 

Interesting! Verizon says you have to be using one of their data plans to use a mobile hotspot so I thought it was true for all phones with them. 

On 2/8/2024 at 2:31 AM, antsp said:

What is a decent modern cellphone? Neither my iphone12 mini or my wife's iphone 14 allow wifi sharing. 

4 minutes ago, Potstech said:

What is a decent modern cellphone? Neither my iphone12 mini or my wife's iphone 14 allow wifi sharing. 

Any non apple device 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

Funny my friends brand new Samsung would not allow it either,

Tethering now on my Samsung, your friend may not know what to do. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Potstech said:

Funny my friends brand new Samsung would not allow it either,

Neither does my Samsung 23. Can share cell to wifi, but not wifi to wifi

Cell to wifi yes

Bluetooth to wifi yes

USB to wifi yes

wifi to wifi  nope.

Edited by TRLD

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, antsp said:

Tethering now on my Samsung, your friend may not know what to do. 

Verizon is your cell phone provider and you’re not connected to cell service, just the ship’s wi-fi? 

How are you doing it?

Edited by Torfamm