Suntan Lotion - reef safe

Greetings from Canada 🇨🇦

We are very excited to fly into Sydney in April and staying a few days prior to boarding the Edge Transpacific cruise.

In Canada, it is very difficult to find reef safe suntan lotion.  I assume it is easier to find in Australia - and also a lotion with a SPF of 4, 6 or 8 ?

If anyone can provide any help, it would be appreciated.  We are looking forward to exploring your part of the world and have been on many cruises with some folks from down under and have enjoyed their company very much - you are a very friendly, easy going bunch!

Thanks

7 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Greetings from Canada 🇨🇦

We are very excited to fly into Sydney in April and staying a few days prior to boarding the Edge Transpacific cruise.

In Canada, it is very difficult to find reef safe suntan lotion.  I assume it is easier to find in Australia - and also a lotion with a SPF of 4, 6 or 8 ?

If anyone can provide any help, it would be appreciated.  We are looking forward to exploring your part of the world and have been on many cruises with some folks from down under and have enjoyed their company very much - you are a very friendly, easy going bunch!

Thanks

I take it you are referring to the "Reef" brand of suntan lotion, readily available at Chemist Warehouse and most other Chemists, also large supermarkets like Coles.

18 minutes ago, beatleman said:

I take it you are referring to the "Reef" brand of suntan lotion, readily available at Chemist Warehouse and most other Chemists, also large supermarkets like Coles.

5 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

the SPF rating system must be different in Australia too - most sunscreens here are SPF 50

Thank you both for replying!  

We also have SPF 50 here - was just wondering if lower SPF were sold in Australia or New Zealand - we can get SPF 30, 50 or 60 in a lotion or spray form in Canada, so I was wondering if there were lower SPF available to purchase while I am there.  

I was also inquiring about ANY brand name of sunscreen that is safe to wear in the Ocean that will not cause harm to the coral reefs.  I can purchase CeraVe Mineral Sunscreen and SunBum brand in Toronto but I was just curious if there was a specific brand made there that would be better. 

Thank you again, your replies are appreciated!

25 minutes ago, beatleman said:

There are "reef safe" sunscreens, which contain different chemicals and other ingredients to normal sunscreens. I'm not sure of their SPF ratings.

https://savethereef.org/about-reef-save-sunscreen.html

The last time I went snorkelling at Lifou there was a sign asking swimmers not to use sunscreen in the coral snorkelling areas.

• Thanks 1

A quick search found this.

https://www.vogue.com.au/shopping/reef-safe-sunscreens-australia/image-gallery/95a326d07be17bff7408e544f89985b6

BTW, spray-on sunscreens are notoriously ineffective, not to mention very expensive.

https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/beauty-and-personal-care/skin-care-and-cosmetics/articles/aerosol-sunscreens

I spend a lot of time on the water and, in summer, always wear a long sleeved "rashie" for sun protection along with broad brim hat and sunscreen.

What is a rashie in Australia?

What is a rash guard? – Solbari Australia

A rash guard (also known as a rashie or rash vest) is a fitted top made from polyester, nylon and spandex which is typically used during water sports such as surfing, paddle boarding, kayaking, swimming or kite surfing. It is also common to wear a rash guard to the beach or by the pool on holiday.

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

A quick search found this.

https://www.vogue.com.au/shopping/reef-safe-sunscreens-australia/image-gallery/95a326d07be17bff7408e544f89985b6

BTW, spray-on sunscreens are notoriously ineffective, not to mention very expensive.

https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/beauty-and-personal-care/skin-care-and-cosmetics/articles/aerosol-sunscreens

I spend a lot of time on the water and, in summer, always wear a long sleeved "rashie" for sun protection along with broad brim hat and sunscreen.

What is a rashie in Australia?

What is a rash guard? – Solbari Australia

A rash guard (also known as a rashie or rash vest) is a fitted top made from polyester, nylon and spandex which is typically used during water sports such as surfing, paddle boarding, kayaking, swimming or kite surfing. It is also common to wear a rash guard to the beach or by the pool on holiday.

Thank you lyndarra.  Both links are very useful.  I think wearing no sunscreen with our scuba and snorkelling excursions is the best bet. And we also sell rash guards in Canada...BTW love the pic! What a stunning backdrop!

• Like 1

Skin cancer from melanomas is very prevalent in Australia. You need to be aware that the ozone layer in Australia is very thin, and you can easily get sunburnt without protection, in a very short time.  I am always amazed at how long my very fair skin can go without getting burnt, in the northern hemisphere, where in Australia, in the same time frame, I'd be burned to a crisp.  That's why our regular sunscreens are SP 50+, and many are sold in one litre containers. 

A large company called Chemist Warehouse, which has multiple branches in Australia, will have a range that you can buy on arrival. Some of the best are endorsed and branded by the Australian Cancer Council.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Skin cancer from melanomas is very prevalent in Australia. You need to be aware that the ozone layer in Australia is very thin, and you can easily get sunburnt without protection, in a very short time.  I am always amazed at how long my very fair skin can go without getting burnt, in the northern hemisphere, where in Australia, in the same time frame, I'd be burned to a crisp.  That's why our regular sunscreens are SP 50+, and many are sold in one litre containers. 

A large company called Chemist Warehouse, which has multiple branches in Australia, will have a range that you can buy on arrival. Some of the best are endorsed and branded by the Australian Cancer Council.

The Cancer Council does not sell any sunscreen that has been certified as reef safe. Many snorkel & dive sites insist on wearing sunscreens that are non-toxic to to coral reefs.

There are a few sunscreens that are suitable for use on the reefs. I like the Sun Bum range, which is sold at Priceline.  Wearing a rashie while you are out there might be the best solution.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1

Another very widely available brand is the surf lifesaving brand, easily found at most supermarkets here and (most importantly) SPF 50+

suncreen.jpg

Edited by guy01
  • Like 2

Look I don't want to sound like a wowser but you seriously need to consider a high sun protection factor sunscreen.  Your excitement level will certainly be significantly affected if you spend days in pain nursing sunburn and and blisters or, heavens forbid, in hospital.  Not to mention, latent problems of possible skin cancer.  As others have stated, the sun here is fearsome and has no respect for anybody's skin dark or light but, it is especially cruel to fair skinned people.  Please,  wear a hat, cover up wherever you can and use a sunscreen with a high (50+) SPF.  

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Look I don't want to sound like a wowser but you seriously need to consider a high sun protection factor sunscreen.  Your excitement level will certainly be significantly affected if you spend days in pain nursing sunburn and and blisters or, heavens forbid, in hospital.  Not to mention, latent problems of possible skin cancer.  As others have stated, the sun here is fearsome and has no respect for anybody's skin dark or light but, it is especially cruel to fair skinned people.  Please,  wear a hat, cover up wherever you can and use a sunscreen with a high (50+) SPF.  

I'll second that.

I can go all day without sunscreen in the northern hemisphere but in Australis and NZ I slather SPF 50+ on, otherwise I'd burn very quickly. 

• Like 2

I agree with what others have written re SPF 50+ - it is very important to ensure you use it and keep re-applying. I hope you are able to find reef safe sunscreen easily. The links Lyndarra has provided will help.

Edited by possum52

16 hours ago, guy01 said:

Another very widely available brand is the surf lifesaving brand, easily found at most supermarkets here and (most importantly) SPF 50+

suncreen.jpg

This is the one I use and found it to be a very good product

15 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Absolutely. I have had many sun cancers removed from my face (and one on my shoulder). It is no joke. The Australian sun will burn you very quickly. Not only use a 50+SPF but keep reapplying regularly, wear a wide brimmed hat and cover up.

20 hours ago, guy01 said:

suncreen.jpg

4 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

This is the one I use and found it to be a very good product

This a great product unless you use it on the reef as it contains chemicals which are bad for the reef - I compared the list of 'bad' chemicals for the reef from the article that Lyndarra linked - Reef Safe Sunscreen Guide to the list of ingredients in the Surf Life Saving Sport SPF50+ sunscreen. 

The OP asked about reef safe sunscreen.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 12:47 AM, debfed65 said:

Greetings from Canada 🇨🇦

Thanks

As advised by others, your best option is to go to a Chemist Warehouse on arrival and choose a product from their range. They have stores everywhere. You can go informed beforehand with your preferences by deciding which one(s) now.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/shop-online/214/sunscreen-lotions-gels

• Thanks 1

Just aside from SPF50+ sunscreen, if you are going into the water on the barrier reef anytime from November to May a stinger suit is highly recommended - our sun can burn you, but our stingers will make you very ill.

Anyway, enjoy your visit, Rose.

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love it. Except they left out drop bears.😉

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

This entire thread reminds me of the Scared Weird Little Guys 'Come to Australia'.   Really hope this links works - .  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1