infinite veranda, does anyone like these things?

sunsetme

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

It's refreshing to see reasonable and rational points

5 hours ago, mitchtech said:

You can close the partition doors behind you and then it is like a regular balcony

So much for reasonable and rational. I should have known it wouldn't last.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I don’t understand. Are you saying you never lowered the window? That’s the problem with IV cabins for many. There’s no way to “shut the door” and have the window down. 

I lowered the window briefly. But that only affected MY cabin.

i was referring to when I have a regular balcony - you are not supposed to leave those open either. In that case it doesn’t shut off the a/c to your cabin but it affects all in your block. Traditional balcony.

3 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

We always sleep with our balcony door open so we can hear the ocean at night. Never heard whistling or have ever had anybody knock on our door. 

With the balcony door open go out into the corridor and close the cabin door and you will hear the whistling. Next open the cabin door and you will get the full effect of the vortex your aircon is creating. The notice on the balcony door saying it must be kept closed is there for a reason. 

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

No worries, I just don't want others that are reading this thread take away inaccurate information. When the Edge first debuted the bifold doors had clear glass panes. People complained that it let in too much light in. The solution was to place frosting decals on the clear glass so it cut out some of the light but not all. That has been the way the bifold doors are for all the the E-Class ships, no other variations exist. 

People have always opined that Celebrity can change the IV cabin in such a way to install weather tight bifold doors so that the HVAC doesn't turn off when they are closed. What they don't account for is that the area designated as the balcony is inside your cabin and not a weatherproof outdoor space, so it's not simply changing out the bifold doors for real weatherproof sliders. 

I get your point now. If you want to go out on the balcony and read or whatever and your spouse wants to be in air conditioning  or sleep then the IV poses a problem.  Never thought of that. Thanks for your point of view

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mitchtech said:

What was so bad about that?

I think it was referring to your statement about closing the bifold doors and it's like a regular balcony. That's the whole debate that doing that is not remotely like a real balcony since your still inside while in a real balcony you're outside. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 2

We like them but we know what we're getting. We had a large balcony on our HAL cruise in Alaska and honestly it was too cold, too windy, and too wet the vast majority of our cruise to enjoy that space. The IV would have been wonderful for that.

The big drawback for me is that it isn't a truly separate space. I cannot get up early, grab my macchiato, a pastry, and settle in to read while hubby sleeps. But, the Beyond (I haven't done any other E class) was such a beautiful ship with so many public spaces that I didn't miss reading on my balcony. Especially in the Caribbean, it can be too hot and humid to sit for long past sun rise.

I think it entirely depends on each individual's preference. And clearly they must have been popular enough that RCG added them to the Icon of the Seas.

As long as Celebrity doesn't get rid of the S and M class ships, there's something for everyone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

We like them but we know what we're getting. We had a large balcony on our HAL cruise in Alaska and honestly it was too cold, too windy, and too wet the vast majority of our cruise to enjoy that space. The IV would have been wonderful for that.

The big drawback for me is that it isn't a truly separate space. I cannot get up early, grab my macchiato, a pastry, and settle in to read while hubby sleeps. But, the Beyond (I haven't done any other E class) was such a beautiful ship with so many public spaces that I didn't miss reading on my balcony. Especially in the Caribbean, it can be too hot and humid to sit for long past sun rise.

I think it entirely depends on each individual's preference. And clearly they must have been popular enough that RCG added them to the Icon of the Seas.

As long as Celebrity doesn't get rid of the S and M class ships, there's something for everyone.

As  X committed  (gambled) to building several E class ships before the first had even sailed we won't know how successful the IV is until X launches its next generation of ships.

I believe Icon only has a few IV's which is totally different. Viking is only one cruise line that has many years of experience with IV's and it chose not to have any on its Ocean Fleet. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Try telling that to someone from the UK who sails out of Southampton. E-class is the only game in town.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, the penguins said:

Not on Celebrity.

Leaving the balcony door open is an absolute no no. It puts tremendous pressure on the system creating a pressure vortex. Additionally as the aircon is shared between 2 cabins it also affects your neighbour. Walk down any corridor and you can hear the whistling created when balcony doors are left open. The balcony doors are all clearly labelled to reminder you that the doors must be kept closed.

Exactly, glad to see this posted..

15 hours ago, Torfamm said:

A lot of people need a room that’s dark in order to sleep. I don’t necessarily want to get up at sunrise, especially when it’s very early. I’m Alaska, Norway etc it can be 4:00.

I understand that for sure…I’ve never sailed in that area, yet…

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

As  X committed  (gambled) to building several E class ships before the first had even sailed we won't know how successful the IV is until X launches its next generation of ships.

I believe Icon only has a few IV's which is totally different. Viking is only one cruise line that has many years of experience with IV's and it chose not to have any on its Ocean Fleet. 

It's not a few. 497 or 27% of the non-suite balconies on Icon an Infinite Verandas.

Just now, NMTraveller said:

OK.  So roughly 27% actually like the IVs.  Still a small percentage.

You made up the "actually like it" part. No way to quantify that opinion aside from their capacity metrics which are still above 100%, so like it or not, they are sailing full. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

You made up the "actually like it" part. No way to quantify that opinion aside from their capacity metrics which are still above 100%, so like it or not, they are sailing full. 

I would have thought that Royal actually did some research and adjusted their ships accordingly to the percentage who liked IVs and the percentage who like balconies.  That is the only decision that makes sense for earnings.  Unlike Celebrity who put 100% in and chased away some of their customers.  There is sailing full, and what would the financial outcome have been if Celebrity did the 27/73 split?  It is all about supply and demand.  Celebrity cut their market down somewhat on their new ships.

IVs are the most complained about item on E class when you are on the cruise.  People expect a balcony and get an open/close window.  There are a lot of first time cruisers who "try it" and are disappointed.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Celebrity cut their market down somewhat on their new ships.

I doubt the E Class ships are hurting for customers.  At least it doesn't seem that way when I'm looking for a cabin.  

You may have more concrete information as to the % of capacity they are sailing at. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I doubt the E Class ships are hurting for customers.  At least it doesn't seem that way when I'm looking for a cabin.  

You may have more concrete information as to the % of capacity they are sailing at. 

In the post I mentioned that they were sailing full.  How does that relate to earnings if there is a bigger supply and demand for real balconies?  Perhaps I can charge more for a real balcony than an open/close window on their new ships?

When you look at the pricing for the real balconies this seems to be the case.  Real balconies on E class are much more expensive.  I don't count the porthole balcony as it is obscured.

Edited by NMTraveller

20 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would have thought that Royal actually did some research and adjusted their ships accordingly to the percentage who liked IVs and the percentage who like balconies.  That is the only decision that makes sense for earnings.  Unlike Celebrity who put 100% in and chased away some of their customers.  There is sailing full, and what would the financial outcome have been if Celebrity did the 27/73 split?  It is all about supply and demand.  Celebrity cut their market down somewhat on their new ships.

IVs are the most complained about item on E class when you are on the cruise.  People expect a balcony and get an open/close window.  There are a lot of first time cruisers who "try it" and are disappointed.

Chased away? What about replaced with new? Why were Jan-Feb E class cruises nearly sold out? Interested in the data behind that. If Celebrity did a 27/73 split or a 10/90 or 90/10 and occupancy is still above 100% the breakdown does not matter. It's still sold out and they will adjust the price upward as far as they can. 

There are 6 more E class Caribbean departures for the month of Feb. 2 of the 6 are totally sold out. The other 4 are very close to it. 

Edited by paulh84

5 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Chased away? What about replaced with new? Why were Jan-Feb E class cruises nearly sold out? Interested in the data behind that. If Celebrity did a 27/73 split or a 10/90 or 90/10 and occupancy is still above 100% the breakdown does not matter. It's still sold out and they will adjust the price upward as far as they can. 

If real balconies command a higher price than an open/close window then it was a mistake.  See post above.  Why does Icon not have 100% if it was such a good idea?  Better yet why do not the suites have the IVs?

Perhaps that is part of the reason LLP is no longer CEO?

Edited by NMTraveller

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

IVs are the most complained about item on E class when you are on the cruise.  People expect a balcony and get an open/close window.

Edited 1 minute ago by NMTraveller

Noone booking a cruise on an E-class ship should not know what to expect with an IV cabin. After all the hullabaloo over the years, much of it negative, there is no excuse to book something you don't think you will like and then complain about why you didn't like it. No doubt, your pre-conceived notions had your mind already made up. The IV cabins are a nice alternative to the standard balcony rooms and are not intended to be a replacement. IV's are a different scheme and a different look and have more functionality. They work for me, roll-down window and all.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Noone booking a cruise on an E-class ship should not know what to expect with an IV cabin. After all the hullabaloo over the years, much of it negative, there is no excuse to book something you don't think you will like and then complain about why you didn't like it. No doubt, your pre-conceived notions had your mind already made up. The IV cabins are a nice alternative to the standard balcony rooms and are not intended to be a replacement. IV's are a different scheme and a different look and have more functionality. They work for me, roll-down window and all.

Your general cruising public does not read Cruise Critic.  They book a cruise,  thinking they are getting a balcony and find out that it is just an open/close window.  Perhaps due to the questionable advertising. 

Again when you hear repeated complaints on a cruise that is not a good thing.  Don't make the mistake of asking someone how they like their IV🤣

It is the first time E class cruiser general public who is surprised and complaining.  

I did not have any preconceived notions about IVs.  I was not on Cruise Critic at the time.  I booked E class because of the advertisements and reviews.  My expectations were that it was going to be the best yet or I would not have booked.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Your general cruising public does not read Cruise Critic.  They book a cruise,  thinking they are getting a balcony and find out that it is just an open/close window.  Perhaps due to the questionable advertising. 

Again when you hear repeated complaints on a cruise that is not a good thing.  Don't make the mistake of asking someone how they like their IV🤣

It is the first time E class cruiser general public who is surprised and complaining.  

I did not have any preconceived notions about IVs.  I was not on Cruise Critic at the time.  I booked E class because of the advertisements and reviews.  My expectations were that it was going to be the best yet or I would not have booked.

As someone who has booked a few hundred Infinite Verandas over the last few years, including many for first timers, I will say my experience does not match what you are trying to convey. We field a lot of complaints and gripes but that is not one of them. Like many things on CC there is a vocal few with a strong opinion who try to convince everyone else their opinion is the right opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Totally understand where you are coming from. But in this ever-changing world in which we live in, and all the technology available to us, one has to own their decisions and why they make them. I see no reason to be miserable over a different kind of veranda.   

• Haha 1