1030 flight departure out of FLL to Toronto

1960Travel

3 hours ago, 1960Travel said:

Our flight leaves at 4:15 now..I always second guess in the end anyways but thought change it now before that flight is gone...Who knows maybe another change coming..Travel is like that now..

thanks you.  

I’m restating …. I stopped counting my AC flight back from MIA this March after the TENTH CHANGE!!! 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Actually rebooked after the second change as there was ZERO way to make the flight and they then rescheduled my original flight so I could have actually made it!   

And this is how a near monopoly operates….

I view this as Alexandria does - make it a POSITIVE experience!  Grab an Uber to a hotel with a day pass and enjoy a few hours in the sun. Alternatively, use a luggage storage facility on FLL beach and go for a walk and have lunch!  About $100 (including your data roaming!) will buy you a GREAT day!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

But now they are leaving the airport when it is rush hours in the GTA 😱

Forget that , it also is always rush hour in the GTA now 😉🤣

My hubby picks me up from Pearson and believe it or not I get home faster taking the side roads than the 401. 

• Like 1

Everyone's risk tolerance is different.

I recently self-debarked at Port Everglades and made a 8:15 am FLL-TPA flight. (Debarked @ 7:10. Taxi @ 7:20. Airport @ 7:35. Gate @ 8:00). Would I do it again? Yes but would probably need for the flight to leave at 9:00 am or later. (EDITED to add: I booked the 8:15 am flight because it was only $25 USD one way at the time of booking.)

Plan B was to rent a $100 USD one way auto and drive home (3.5 hours).

On 2/10/2024 at 7:22 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

On a Caribbean cruise probably 99% you be fine 

Don’t try that on a transatlantic cruise 😁

Why not on a transatlantic cruise. We have one coming up in October. 

1 hour ago, Kelownadon said:

Why not on a transatlantic cruise. We have one coming up in October. 

25 minutes ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

The ship will have to clear ICE which means long delays.

I would say half of transatlantic ending in Florida were a bit of a sh$t show getting off the ship 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I would say half of transatlantic ending in Florida were a bit of a sh$t show getting off the ship 

We have a 3:30pm flight out of FLL to Calgary. Does that sound doable? Thanks

On 2/10/2024 at 9:26 AM, nbturfman said:

Just an FYI they will not accept your bags more than 4 hours prior to the flight time at FLL

I just flew FLL-YUL and Air Canada stated they would not accept luggage until 3hrs before the flight.   

We flew out of Fort Lauderdale to TO in November for a Sunday morning flight. While we made it to the airport well in time for our 11am flight, the airport was a zoo.  No place to stand or sit as AC had a flight to Montreal about 10 minutes before the Toronto flight.  As a result, the line up was insane (was one line for both flights) staff were stressed and as a result took their stress out on passengers.   Won't do that again.  

In the past, we had a late afternoon flight, so decided to rent a car for the day (at the rental car office near the port)  We had a place for our luggage for the day, had a nice brunch in Fort Lauderdale, did a bit of shopping and the day was easy and stress free.   Just a thought. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

We flew out of Fort Lauderdale to TO in November for a Sunday morning flight. While we made it to the airport well in time for our 11am flight, the airport was a zoo.  No place to stand or sit as AC had a flight to Montreal about 10 minutes before the Toronto flight.  As a result, the line up was insane (was one line for both flights) staff were stressed and as a result took their stress out on passengers.   Won't do that again.  

In the past, we had a late afternoon flight, so decided to rent a car for the day (at the rental car office near the port)  We had a place for our luggage for the day, had a nice brunch in Fort Lauderdale, did a bit of shopping and the day was easy and stress free.   Just a thought. 

Also Did that in Tampa 👍

9 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

I just flew FLL-YUL and Air Canada stated they would not accept luggage until 3hrs before the flight.   

I am not surprised, the FLL website says no more than 4 hours before the flight but we had a west jet flight a few years ago where the westjet gate didn’t open until about 2 hours before the flight. There was a mass of people waiting to check in from the ships that docked that day. I look  for mid to late morning flight out of FLL and have never had an issue. We always find when the cruise is over we are ready to get home. If you read back you will see lots of posts condemning that plan, pointing out there could be a cost if you get delayed getting off the ship. The same people then tell you to buy a day pass or use a luggage service for the day which will definitely cost you. Depends on your own assessment and how you look at things. The OP had a 1030 flight which I  would book without hesitation, we fly out shortly after 11 this year and I am not the least bit concerned. It’s a short hop from the pier to FLL, it’s very likely I will be through security and waiting at my gate by 9.
This is based just on our experience - I would be curious to know if anyone on here has recently missed a 1030 flight out of FLL because the ship was delayed clearing customs from a Caribbean cruise. I don’t think it happens often but maybe I have just been lucky - so fellow cruise critics has this happened to you recently?

On 2/9/2024 at 9:17 PM, nbturfman said:

Realistic is having done it year after year roughly 20 times now, enough said

I have been late coming into port once ..ship had propulsion issues heading back to home port...late enough to cause trouble for many..not fun.  It can happen.  It probably won't.  Sort of like insurance against a lightning strike on your person...if it hits, you need the insurance..or your family at least. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

On 2/11/2024 at 2:36 AM, Nado44 said:

Everyone's risk tolerance is different.

I recently self-debarked at Port Everglades and made a 8:15 am FLL-TPA flight. (Debarked @ 7:10. Taxi @ 7:20. Airport @ 7:35. Gate @ 8:00). Would I do it again? Yes but would probably need for the flight to leave at 9:00 am or later. (EDITED to add: I booked the 8:15 am flight because it was only $25 USD one way at the time of booking.)

Plan B was to rent a $100 USD one way auto and drive home (3.5 hours).

you were very lucky.  But you also were not considered International which flights to Canada are.    That can mean more time to get to one s gate

40 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

you were very lucky.  But you also were not considered International which flights to Canada are.    That can mean more time to get to one s gate

I am international as I fly back to Canada - have you missed a flight because of a ship delay in FLL?

My original post created a good conversation, especially for perhaps first time cruisers and people flying out of FLL.  Yes its close to the port we have not had an issue, we did a couple times in Miami though.  In the end you go with your comfort zone which is what we did..not worth stressing about the time..Flying is what it is now too many changes, luggage issues on and on .  

Thank you ....

• Like 1

I have done many, many flights from FLL to Toronto after returning from a cruise.  I always look for flights that leave between 10:30 and noon.  Our last cruise in November, we came off the Beyoind and were flying home the day before American Thanksgiving with an 11:10 flight.  No issue at all.  Our next curise on the Ascent returns on March 10th and we have a 11:20am flight.  DW and I both have Nexus, so that gives us PreClear for security, I check in for the flight as soon as check in opens and we always self disembark. 

The ususal gates for Air Canada at FLL are a complete disaster.  Everytime I am there, AC has other flights going out and the seating is packed and cramped.  The Zone lineup areas are tiny and poorly laid out.  But if you are at the gate, you are checked in and through security so it is just staying patient till your flight boards.

I have only had one issue with a cruise returning late and in that instance I had purchased airfare from the cruise line so they did all the rebooking.  And in that case it would not have mattered if flights were at 2 or 3pm, no one was making any flights before early evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nbturfman said:

I am international as I fly back to Canada - have you missed a flight because of a ship delay in FLL?

we  once had a tight timeline.  Ship docked a bit later and the Customs took a long time before releasing ship.   (We had a private driver booked so that helped).  At the airport, we have Nexus which helped by pass a very long line.  

Now FLL has issued they will not accept baggage after 2 hours before flight departure. 🤷‍♀️

On 2/10/2024 at 12:20 PM, 1960Travel said:

Our flight leaves at 4:15 now..I always second guess in the end anyways but thought change it now before that flight is gone...Who knows maybe another change coming..Travel is like that now..

thanks you.  

I think it may be a good idea to be the last person off the ship ..... you don't want to get to the airport so early that you could make the early flight .... however if you do, perhaps AC will let you stand by for the early flight if you decide to try to make it.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:04 PM, drakes2 said:

My hubby picks me up from Pearson and believe it or not I get home faster taking the side roads than the 401. 

Would like to know the alternative.  I'm trying to envision the 'side roads' to Mississauga instead of the 401?  All N to S are lights and traffic, unless part of the way is 401 to ?

13 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Would like to know the alternative.  I'm trying to envision the 'side roads' to Mississauga instead of the 401?  All N to S are lights and traffic, unless part of the way is 401 to ?

For central Toronto, Dixon Road and then Lawrence!