1030 flight departure out of FLL to Toronto

1960Travel

We are getting off the ASCENT April 14 .  Just had time change to this earlier flight

with Air Canada...What is the earliest you can disembark doing self assist to help us 

decide if we should rebook onto a later flight

Thank you

We’ve done it in the past.  It is doable but you can’t account for delays.  That said in November we had an 11 am flight.  Did self walk off but ship was delayed getting cleared.  Finally left the ship at 830 and were through security at the airport before 915.  

It will depend on when Customs releases the ship so very hard to predict. . We ve had the ship not clear until well  after 8 am. .   We fly into Toronto and would not book a 10:30 flight.  The last time, we had a private driver booked to get us there for an 11:25 am flight.    The airport is not too far but Air Canada is now saying they will cut off baggage checkin 2 hours before flight.   And traffic, plus security could be backed up.   International need to check in 2 hours before.    IMO. I dont need the hassle and would book later.  

I would never have booked this flight, going to look for alternatives made it to 63 going with my gut feeling lol...of course can cancel for refund, see what i can get now i guess...thank you 

We have done it many times you shouldn’t have a problem. Do self debark and you should be at the airport by 830 if things are running at a usual pace. Yes things can go wrong but are not likely to. We have flown out of FLL many times with a similar time to Toronto to connect home and have never had an issue. I typically look for a time between 1030 and 1130 and have made a 930 flight one year. Enjoy your trip and ignore the negative Nellie’s on here

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

If AC changed it my experience is that they will allow you to select something that better suits your needs.  

agree.   Probably a computer generated change  

AC schedule seems to have changed. They had one at think 11:30 am and another 11:35.  The first took you to Montreal then Toronto. Who wants the extra hour plus flying and turnaround time.  

3 minutes ago, nbturfman said:

We have done it many times you shouldn’t have a problem. Do self debark and you should be at the airport by 830 if things are running at a usual pace. Yes things can go wrong but are not likely to. We have flown out of FLL many times with a similar time to Toronto to connect home and have never had an issue. I typically look for a time between 1030 and 1130 and have made a 930 flight one year. Enjoy your trip and ignore the negative Nellie’s on here

not negative.  Realistic.   

As with most “tight” connections, if all goes well - as it does 95%+ of the time with cruises arriving back in port, you’ll be fine.  

The question only you can answer is what happens if you’re the 5%?  What is your backup plan?  Know your Plan B and Plan C.  If those are viable options, go for it!   If missing that flight creates a really bad situation for you, choose a “safer” option.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, nbturfman said:

Realistic is having done it year after year roughly 20 times now, enough said

And I have had two cruises sailing from US ports where disembarkation didn't even start until 9:30. Relatively rare? Yes, but I've encountered it twice so that is realistic to me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1960Travel said:

We are getting off the ASCENT April 14 .  Just had time change to this earlier flight

with Air Canada...What is the earliest you can disembark doing self assist to help us 

decide if we should rebook onto a later flight

Thank you

If AC has moved your flight time at all, the change is free.

I have been on many cruises that have arrived late in port because of weather including fog and medical emergencies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

If AC has moved your flight time at all, the change is free.

I have been on many cruises that have arrived late in port because of weather including fog and medical emergencies. 

I don’t think so. Doesn’t it have to be over a certain time?  I don’t think any  change gets you a free change or refund.  Wasn’t it 60 minutes? 

7 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I don’t think so. Doesn’t it have to be over a certain time?  I don’t think any  change gets you a free change or refund.  Wasn’t it 60 minutes? 

It's three hours officially for a full refund.  With all of my cruises and in the situation described by the op, I have NEVER paid a change fee!  But .... it's the call center, not online. 

In fact, if I've said "I'm sorry, I booked this to get back from a cruise and this new time simply doesn't work", I've actually gotten a refund a few times and used it to rebook at a better fare!  Coming back from my next Explora cruise, my flight has now been changed ..... 10 times!  (actually - I STOPPED counting after the 10th change.....)

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

10 hours ago, 1960Travel said:

thank you for your replies, we are deciding....

I just flew home from FLL this past Thursday February 8th with an AC flight at 11:20. Was in the first group to get off ship that is crucial and checked in at airport 8:19.   Had almost 3 hours to spare. Airport usually not busy that time of day.  We docked at 6 but luggage was still being delivered to pier so had to wait a few minutes for all the group #1 luggage. 

• Like 1

I’m weighing in on this again because I feel so strongly about it!

Odds are - you’ll be fine but you’ll likely start stressing the night before arrival and continue to do so until you’re off the ship!

If you’re NOT fine and you miss your flight, you’re on your own.  You’ll have to buy a new ticket unless the agent takes (unlikely) pity on you. None of these CC members extolling you not to be negative are pulling out their Visa cards to pay for your new flight.

And…. Most flights are beyond full these days - no guarantee that you’re getting on a flight that same Sunday.

Again, I have witnessed people FREAKING OUT on board on arrival day as we’re one to 4 hours (medical emergency) late and they’ve missed their flight.

• Like 1

Thankyou for all the replies, ended up changing to a later flight, Probably would have made it but  with some stress involved.  Will have to hang around FLL longer then we like but thats ok.  This was the second change on this return flight the first was aircraft change.  Happened coming back from Vancouver last September too after Alaska.  Air Canada has alot of flights to choose from so I keep booking them.  I think going forward will anticipate changes unfortunatly its just the way travel is now...

thank you

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, 1960Travel said:

Thankyou for all the replies, ended up changing to a later flight, Probably would have made it but  with some stress involved.  Will have to hang around FLL longer then we like but thats ok.  This was the second change on this return flight the first was aircraft change.  Happened coming back from Vancouver last September too after Alaska.  Air Canada has alot of flights to choose from so I keep booking them.  I think going forward will anticipate changes unfortunatly its just the way travel is now...

thank you

Glad you made the choice you felt comfortable with, while not a change I would make I certainly respect your choice. Just an FYI they will not accept your bags more than 4 hours prior to the flight time at FLL. We ran into this a few years ago and stood in a west jet line with other cruise folks for a couple of hours at the airport before we could check our bags in and clear security to wait for the flight out. Not the end of the world but not a great time either. Have a great trip

2 hours ago, 1960Travel said:

Thankyou for all the replies, ended up changing to a later flight, Probably would have made it but  with some stress involved.  Will have to hang around FLL longer then we like but thats ok. 

IMO, a very wise decision.  Any number of things can go wrong to delay your arrival at FLL.  We've been on two cruises in the past two years where CBP was short-handed and there were long delays leaving the ship.  We would not have made a 10:30 am flight in either of those cases.  While someone with a 10:30 am flight out of FLL or MIA is probably okay 95% of the time, wise travelers consider the consequences of accepting the risk that something won't go smoothly and they miss the flight.  For the benefit of others who may read this thread, I believe factors that should be considered are:

• How many other flights are available that day from the departure airport to your home airport.  For example, there are about 125 flights daily from FLL to ATL so there is a pretty reasonable likelihood of being able to get a later flight if an earlier one is missed.  If you fly a carrier with multiple flights (AA has 40 of those flights), the risk of not getting home that day are lower.
  • How busy is the travel period?  If your flight is scheduled for a very busy travel day (spring break, Thanksgiving, etc) then your ability to get on a later flight may be reduced.
  • How flexible is your carrier about allowing you to go on a standby list on a later flight if you miss yours?  If you simply are too late to make your flight, the airline generally does not have any obligation to accommodate you (and depending on your ticket, you may not even get a refund or travel credit even if you notify them before departure that you won't make it).  Some carriers are better than others at rebooking travelers on later flights who won't make it to the gate on time.
  • Are you able and prepared to spend a night (or more) in the departure city if you are unable to be accommodated on a later flight that same day?  Will your pet sitter stay an extra day or two?  Do you have enough prescription medication to last until you do make it home?  Will it be a problem if you have to take extra time off work?
  • Are you financially prepared to bear the cost of lodging, meals and even last-minute airline tickets if your carrier can't or won't accommodate you or refund your airfare?  Remember that travel insurance will NOT provide any coverage if you simply miss your flight because you don't make it to the airport in time.

Each traveler has to decide for themselves whether they are willing to risk it when considering both the likelihood of missing their flight as well as all of the consequences should that happen. 

If your flight is after 2pm or so, you might consider getting a day pass to a local hotel.  Take a look at Resort Pass (resortpass.com).  For example, you can get a day pass at the Marriott Ft. Lauderdale Airport for about $20.  They'll store your luggage, you can enjoy the pool and facilities, grab lunch, and they even have an airport shuttle.  You can get a day pass for a resort on the beach for about $50.  Check your credit card offers.  AMEX and others periodically have cashback offers where you get about $20 back when you spent $100 with Resort Pass.

Fair winds and following seas!  🛳️

• Like 3

Our flight leaves at 4:15 now..I always second guess in the end anyways but thought change it now before that flight is gone...Who knows maybe another change coming..Travel is like that now..

thanks you.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 1960Travel said:

Our flight leaves at 4:15 now..I always second guess in the end anyways but thought change it now before that flight is gone...Who knows maybe another change coming..Travel is like that now..

thanks you.  

You made a wise decision. Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1