HAL vs NCL vs RCCL

Vegamatic

Hello everyone.  Haven't been on this forum in a while.  Wife and I (both 60,  active) are planning Alaska cruise in September 2024.  For better or worse, dates are pretty much a lock, and we're OK taking some chances with weather.  Currently have NCL Encore 7 day inside passage out of Seattle on deposit , but refundable until May.  Have been looking at other cruises that might fit, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam inside passage out of Vancouver, and Royal Ovation from Seattle.  A little difference in price among the three, but not enough for any to be a deal breaker.  would appreciate hearing any opinions folks have, good or bad.  Thanks

Hi, well haven't cruised on NCL so can't tell you about them, did sail once on the Nieuw Amsterdam, the cruise to Alaska was great, but the ship & service was just hum. As for Rcl, its the best, can't say enough about them, will be goin to Alaska this summer on the Brilliance. Been to Alaska 10 or 12 times, just can't seem to get enough of cruisin up there.

Important points to consider:

Do any of the cruises visit Glacier Bay?
NCL now docks at Ward Cove which is some miles away from Ketchikan. Other cruise lines dock downtown in Ketchikan.

One way cruises may have longer port times than round trips.

Cruises from Seattle spend more time in open ocean than scenic cruising, are round trips (port times).

Without looking at the actually itineraries, I would favor the HAL cruise, if it is one way.

• Like 1

The itinerary should be a major factor, preferably one that includes Glacier Bay. I've not sailed NCL, but can tell you that their port times are not as good as the others.

• Like 1

Encore doesn't sail the Canadian Inside Passage out of Seattle.  It cruises outside Vancouver Island, just like RCI Ovation.  That is very deceiving if NCL is advertising Encore as IP.  

I can already tell you that HAL Nieuw Amsterdam out of Vancouver has the best itinerary.  The downside to that option is on board entertainment if that's something you value.  HAL Koningsdam also sails out of Vancouver and is a good option.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

I have cruised all three, although not all three to AK.  I agree with the previous poster that you are likely to get the best itinerary from HAL out of Vancouver.  I would also look for a cruise that includes Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

We are booked for this May with Sapphire Princess out of Vancouver. I love RCI. We’ve traveled with them, Disney, celebrity and Princess. When we started planning for Alaska, which let me tell you is unlike any other kind of cruise planning, we read over and over again that two lines are the best for Alaska. HAL and Princess. They’ve been there the longest and two very important details….maybe not the big Princess ships but most do the whole inside passage. If I’m going to do this, I want to do all of it. AND Glacier bay. I wouldn’t do Alaska if it didn’t have these two things and possibly a third detail…the time in ports. We are doing 7 night cruise and 4 night land. So far I’m pretty happy with what we will be doing. Lots of varied stuff to do. For this trip, the entertainment on the ship was the last thing I was thinking of. But that’s us. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dizgal64 said:

We are booked for this May with Sapphire Princess out of Vancouver. I love RCI. We’ve traveled with them, Disney, celebrity and Princess. When we started planning for Alaska, which let me tell you is unlike any other kind of cruise planning, we read over and over again that two lines are the best for Alaska. HAL and Princess. They’ve been there the longest and two very important details….maybe not the big Princess ships but most do the whole inside passage. If I’m going to do this, I want to do all of it. AND Glacier bay. I wouldn’t do Alaska if it didn’t have these two things and possibly a third detail…the time in ports. We are doing 7 night cruise and 4 night land. So far I’m pretty happy with what we will be doing. Lots of varied stuff to do. For this trip, the entertainment on the ship was the last thing I was thinking of. But that’s us. 

I like your attitude and feel the same way!  We did a round trip Alaska from Seattle 10 years ago and now we are doing a southbound 15 night cruisetour on Sapphire at the end of May/first week of June.  When people ask about ship entertainment etc in Alaska I sort of cringe, because for us the entertainment and whole focus is Alaska.  I couldn't care less about the spa, worrying about dining room reservations, etc.  I want to soak up as much scenery, wildlife, and Alaska experience as possible.  You're right, this is unlike any other cruise 🙂  

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

When people ask about ship entertainment etc in Alaska I sort of cringe, because for us the entertainment and whole focus is Alaska.  I couldn't care less about the spa, worrying about dining room reservations, etc.  I want to soak up as much scenery, wildlife, and Alaska experience as possible.  You're right, this is unlike any other cruise 🙂  

Me too! They think it will be like the Caribbean!

• Like 1

Other than the wonderful Steve Hites show in Skagway on Princess I don’t think I’ve attended the nighttime entertainment in at least 15 years.  I also don’t gamble or drink and I hate shopping.  I’m surprised I haven’t been shunned by the cruise lines yet.🤣🤣

it’s all about the scenery and animals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

While we book based on itinerary I suspect that for a great number of people the ship itself is the primary attraction.  Last fall we spent 40 days on the Celebrity Edge as it was repositioned from the Mediterranean to Australia (yes -- we went through the Suez Canal).  The ship itself is drop-dead gorgeous.  Innovative theater and bars.  Venues suitable to multiple uses including the moving Magic Carpet which makes tendering so easy.  I suspect the E-class ships are designed for those who are drawn to a ship itself.  It will be deployed to the Alaska market this coming summer.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I love on board entertainment and will always consider the ship as a high priority, second to the itinerary.  Hard for some to understand, apparently, but oh well.  🤷‍♂️

No, I get it. I’m usually like that too. But I just think Alaska is going to be different. Heck, cruising is usually about relaxing. Not on this cruise! I’m going to need a vaca from my vaca when I get back! 😄 I’m sure I’ll be asleep at 9:30 from all we will be doing. The sea days aren’t even like Caribbean Sea days. 

Edited by dizgal64
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dizgal64 said:

No, I get it. I’m usually like that too. But I just think Alaska is going to be different. Heck, cruising is usually about relaxing. Not on this cruise! I’m going to need a vaca from my vaca when I get back! 😄 I’m sure I’ll be asleep at 9:30 from all we will be doing. The sea days aren’t even like Caribbean Sea days. 

I am surprised when people say they will relax once on the cruise (compared to land) and my days on the cruise are packed. I take advantage of all of my time in Alaska. I can take a cheap trip to the Caribbean any day of the week to enjoy ship. When in Alaska - I want to experience Alaska. I fill my days with excursions. Things I do there, I can't do elsewhere.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I love on board entertainment and will always consider the ship as a high priority, second to the itinerary.  Hard for some to understand, apparently, but oh well.  🤷‍♂️

I appreciate you sharing this, especially when so many on the board are insistent that it must be about the itinerary, only.  

We are struggling tremendously with "the right fit" in Alaska for our family.  We are looking for the balance of itinerary, ship AND price point in 2025.  I am positive that doesn't exist, so now we have to decide where we are willing to compromise, and we are limited on when we can sail (must be between mid-August to mid-September).  

Oh, and for us, the ship experience also includes the formality or lack thereof.  My husband is VERY clear that he has zero interest in paying all of that money and then being expected to dress up.  Neither of us are eating dinner in the buffet area, so that means casual in the main dining room.

The amount of research has been time-consuming, but thoroughly enjoyable.  We have learned a lot about cruise lines we have never even considered before - Celebrity, Holland America, Cunard, Oceania.  We know more about balcony sizes and shower sizes than I thought was possible.  (We are bathtub HATERS, because, repeatedly, stepping over one to shower sounds like a fantastic way to get injured.) 

There is definitely LOTS to consider.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I am surprised when people say they will relax once on the cruise (compared to land) and my days on the cruise are packed. I take advantage of all of my time in Alaska. I can take a cheap trip to the Caribbean any day of the week to enjoy ship. When in Alaska - I want to experience Alaska. I fill my days with excursions. Things I do there, I can't do elsewhere.

Same here. Sometimes I think people don't factor in potential time differences from their origination point and length of daylight too. We don't worry about mealtime reservations but rather eat when hungry wherever it's convenient. If it's a beautiful evening we will stay in port and/or enjoy the scenery from our balcony. Sitting inside in a MDR or game show is not how we want to spend precious daylight hours in Alaska. Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

I appreciate you sharing this, especially when so many on the board are insistent that it must be about the itinerary, only.  

For those folks, I'm surprised the Alaska Marine Highway System and/or the small expeditionary cruise lines aren't mentioned more.  Personally, if my ONLY interest was watching the scenery 24/7 and never attending shows or going to a dining room, I wouldn't even look at the large, modern cruise ships.  

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

For those folks, I'm surprised the Alaska Marine Highway System and/or the small expeditionary cruise lines aren't mentioned more.  Personally, if my ONLY interest was watching the scenery 24/7 and never attending shows or going to a dining room, I wouldn't even look at the large, modern cruise ships.  

Ferries are terrible substitutes for cruising.  For those who don’t buy any extras or spend any money onboard, the cruise is cheap.