ok, what now?

after the visa discussion, and as to whether or not a yellow fever vaccination is required to enter cape verde, i am now reading that brazil is being over whelmed with dengue fever.

im sure like everyone else, my hotel and flights are all arranged and in order.

anyone think ncl is going to cancel the rio departure, or will the powers that be at ncl notify us as to the current status. inquiring minds want to know

13 hours ago, complawyer said:

after the visa discussion, and as to whether or not a yellow fever vaccination is required to enter cape verde, i am now reading that brazil is being over whelmed with dengue fever.

anyone think ncl is going to cancel the rio departure, or will the powers that be at ncl notify us as to the current status. inquiring minds want to know

I had Brazil on my radar, but after the initial visa initiative and the uncertainty surrounding it, I kind of moved Brazil to the back burner.

What is the latest on the visa requirement and do you need a yellow fever vaccination?

15 hours ago, complawyer said:

No idea what NCL will do but I'd be setting up an appointment with a medical practice that does travel immunizations, just in case.

Yellow Fever vax is worth having. It expires after like 10 years.

Some nations will not allow entry if you dont have current vax and have traveled (even transit) through a Yellow Fever zone

• Like 2

By looking at the CDC world list, you have probably already traveled to many places listed as "Frequent/Continuous".

https://www.cdc.gov/dengue/areaswithrisk/around-the-world.html

the estimate is that only 1 in 4 will show any symptoms once you have it, or will show very mild symptoms that are never reported.

Will your airline also contact about this risk?

The hotel you will be staying in?

Any rental car agencies you have reservations with?

Any credit card companies that may have prepayments made in that area?

Maybe you should call all of the above to confirm your risk for traveling there.

Talk to a travel doctor for advice. For Dengue the main prevention is avoiding mosquito bites so wear long, loose, light coloured clothing preferably and use mosquito repellent. Every mosquito bite will increase your risk so by reducing the amount of times you get bit it will reduce your chances of getting ill. 

7 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Yellow Fever vax is worth having. It expires after like 10 years.

Some nations will not allow entry if you dont have current vax and have traveled (even transit) through a Yellow Fever zone

Yellow Fever vax is now a one and done...it no longer expires.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, phillygwm said:

No idea what NCL will do but I'd be setting up an appointment with a medical practice that does travel immunizations, just in case.

Just an FYI, you can now visit your primary care physician who can now write scripts for travel related vaccines and meds that can be filled/administered by CVS, Walgreens, etc.

Found that out at my last wellness check up with my Dr. and told him we were traveling to Brazil and the Amazon. 

22 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Yellow Fever vax is now a one and done...it no longer expires.

TYVM

our whole family had the YF vax years ago and it had read it "expired" - for a certain asian nation where a family member lives. So that person had to get another vax (as we had spent time in a YF hot zone for two weeks).

We were concerned they would be denied entry at the border. 

Just went to the CDC and WHO vax websites.. turns out the second vax was never necessary and it is not advised. 

"

Booster Doses

In 2014, the WHO Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization concluded that a single primary dose of YF vaccine provides sustained immunity and lifelong protection against YF disease and that revaccination (a booster dose) is not needed. In 2016, the IHR were officially amended to specify that a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP or “yellow card”) is valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee, and countries cannot require proof of revaccination against YF as a condition of entry, even if the last vaccination was >10 years prior.

ACIP also has stated that a single dose of YF vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. ACIP guidelines do differ slightly from those of WHO, however, by specifying that additional doses of YF vaccine are recommended for the following groups of travelers: people who were pregnant when they received their initial dose of vaccine (administer 1 additional dose before they are next at risk for YF); people who received a hematopoietic stem cell transplant after receiving a dose of YF vaccine (revaccinate before they are next at risk for YF as long as they are sufficiently immunocompetent); people infected with HIV when they received their last dose of YF vaccine (administer a dose every 10 years if they continue to be at risk for YF).

Consider administering a booster dose to travelers who received their last dose of YF vaccine ≥10 years previously if they will be going to higher-risk settings based on activities, duration of travel, location, and season. This consideration applies to travelers planning prolonged stays in endemic areas, those traveling to endemic areas (e.g., rural West Africa) during peak transmission season, or travelers visiting areas with ongoing outbreaks.

Although booster doses of YF vaccine are not recommended for most travelers, and despite the 2016 changes to the IHR, clinicians and travelers should nonetheless review the entry requirements for destination countries. For more information on country-specific recommendations and requirements, see Sec. 2, Ch. 5, Yellow Fever Vaccine & Malaria Prevention Information, by Country."

Edited by Fogfog

5 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

By looking at the CDC world list, you have probably already traveled to many places listed as "Frequent/Continuous".

https://www.cdc.gov/dengue/areaswithrisk/around-the-world.html

the estimate is that only 1 in 4 will show any symptoms once you have it, or will show very mild symptoms that are never reported.

Will your airline also contact about this risk?

The hotel you will be staying in?

Any rental car agencies you have reservations with?

Any credit card companies that may have prepayments made in that area?

Maybe you should call all of the above to confirm your risk for traveling there.

Doesn't look like a vax is an option...

I didn't realize that Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands were "hot spots.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/dengue/public/index.html

Be prepared for last minute changes! Are you a wise Boy Scout? You should know this. 🙂

Otherwise, I'd go, not worry, and have a great time! But, I'm more c'est la vie than most!

Hoping everything goes smoothly and you and the Mrs. Complawyer have a lovely trip in the southern hemisphere.

Taken from: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/news-announcements/yf-vax-booster

Yellow Fever Vaccine Booster Doses

In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each country’s destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change.

Page last reviewed: July 21, 2015

Bottomline, exercise discretion.

• Like 1