Evening Shows on Grandeur

Although we’ve sailed Regent multiple times, we’ve not often taken in the nightly show—just too tired etc. However, this time coming up on the Grandeur ,we are taking friends—first time cruisers—who are very interested in attending the nightly shows. 

What time do we need to get to the theater? Are sets for four together difficult to find? Best area of the theater to watch the shows?
Thank you for your advice.

8 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Although we’ve sailed Regent multiple times, we’ve not often taken in the nightly show—just too tired etc. However, this time coming up on the Grandeur ,we are taking friends—first time cruisers—who are very interested in attending the nightly shows. 

What time do we need to get to the theater? Are sets for four together difficult to find? Best area of the theater to watch the shows?
Thank you for your advice.

We were on Grandeur in Jan.  If you get to the theater by 9:15 you won't have any problem (believe the doors open at 9:00 or 30 min. before showtime).  We were a group of 4 also and with the exception of Krew Kapers and maybe one other show, 9:15 is fine.  Krew Kapers, like every other ship, will fill the theater so get there early (it was as 6:00) so we got there at 5:30 when they opened up the doors.  

We even walked in at 9:29 one night and got seats (had to hunt more for those). 

As to where to sit, that's up to you.  The balcony, if you're back a couple of rows to see over the rail, has nice seats but no tables for drinks.  We tended to sit more in the back on the lower level in case we wanted to leave early, but you do lose sight above.  Not a big deal, but during the Pirate show they did come down some stairs on the set and we couldn't see them, but again, that was the only time. Other than that, the sound, view, etc. was great from about any seats.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

Be real careful when in theater balcony on Grandeur.  There are two steps down to get to the second row and two more down to the first row.  There is no railing.  There is no wood edge to seats like on other ships.  If you lower your hand to try to use the seats for support when going down steps you will find the seats give way which means your hand keeps going lower and you can be tumbling down the steps; all four of them.  I don't remember this defect on Explorer or Splendor and when we were recently on Mariner there is wood edging to seats to make it easier to walk down the steps.

As papa stated, there are no tables in balcony so you are on your own to hold your drinks; good luck with the applause as you are holding that drink.  

• Like 2

If you wanted a well designed theatre auditorium then you should have booked Mariner or Navigator 😉

On the newer ships I would try to get seats on deck 4, not in the balcony, in the centre section towards the front.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

If you wanted a well designed theatre auditorium then you should have booked Mariner or Navigator 😉

Not a big fan of either ship…

On the newer ships I would try to get seats on deck 4, not in the balcony, in the centre section towards the front👍🏻

I’ll make a note of that 👍🏻

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

I'm a retired pilot.  Pilot's love telling people "things."  It's what we do best. 😜🤣

Surely flying an aircraft should be what a pilot does best 🤔 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Surely flying an aircraft should be what a pilot does best 🤔 😉

Well... there is that.  Since I survived 38 years and nearly 20,000 flight hours with no accident, incident, mishap, or FAA violations, and the fact that my landings equaled may takeoffs,  I guess  I was "pretty good."  But then again, luck is better than skill any day. 😜

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

I think that any of the seats that are in front of the posts and are not way off to the side are just fine. 

1000026143-01.jpeg.38d95f7d27d1d6c6feecbf581f220ef7.jpeg

I second the motion of @papaflamingofor arriving at 9:15, in addition to picking seats it will give you time to order drinks if you wish. They stop taking orders when the show starts, and they start promptly at 9:30.

BTW, the current production cast on the Grandeur is as good as I have seen! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

I think that any of the seats that are in front of the posts and are not way off to the side are just fine. 

I second the motion of @papaflamingofor arriving at 9:15, in addition to picking seats it will give you time to order drinks if you wish. They stop taking orders when the show starts, and they start promptly at 9:30.

I agree with arriving at 9:15pm AND that this is one of the best production casts I've ever seen. Plus, the new shows are a refreshing change. Marauder's Ball is a fun pirate themed show, which features a ship they build on stage.  Loved everything about Grandeur except the theater seating configuration. The middle rows are almost impossible to enter once people sit on the ends. The moveable red chairs butt up against the immovable cocktail tables. I watched people actually climb over and stand on the bench seats to enter the middle seats. 🙂 But usually they stayed empty. Removing cocktail tables from the red-chair-row could be a solution. And possibly installing permanent "cocktail shelves" on the back of the bench seats. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

And I love seeing drink servers Dinara and Margarita in your photo. Two of our favorites!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Well... there is that.  Since I survived 38 years and nearly 20,000 flight hours with no accident, incident, mishap, or FAA violations, and the fact that my landings equaled may takeoffs,  I guess  I was "pretty good."  But then again, luck is better than skill any day. 😜

My DH (also a pilot) can often be heard saying a good landing is one that you can walk away from, an excellent landing is one that you can reuse the plane. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jlhalldc said:

oved everything about Grandeur except the theater seating configuration. The middle rows are almost impossible to enter once people sit on the ends. The moveable red chairs butt up against the immovable cocktail tables. I watched people actually climb over and stand on the bench seats to enter the middle seats. 🙂

I'm glad that you mentioned this, I found the same but wasn't sure whether or not this was different from the other ships or if it was my imagination. 

1000026144-01.jpeg.a96e98dd172a352d609d8feaf8363f8d.jpeg

Note that I encountered this issue on the first night of the cruise, not late in the cruise when navigating into any seats might be problematic! 😳

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1