Recommendations for Transportation/Shuttle Companies to Cape Liberty from the DC/MD/No. VA area

Can anyone recommend a transportation bus/shuttle company for round-trip service to/from Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal from the DC metro area? My husband & I usually take Amtrak to Newark Penn and then an Uber.  But next summer it'll be 10-12 passengers including kids (ages 3, 8, 11) and I'm thinking the logistics and timeliness would be better for door to door shuttle or mini- bus service.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

27 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

But next summer it'll be 10-12 passengers including kids (ages 3, 8, 11) and I'm thinking the logistics and timeliness would be better for door to door shuttle or mini- bus service.

Chariots for Hire is a company I've used several times in DC for work events. Very good and reliable. There are a few others that operate locally. 

I think what you are going to quickly find is what you propose is very, very expensive. These mini busses will be billed by the hour from garage in to garage out-- meaning you will be paying for 2 full round trips from DC to Cape Liberty and back even though you'll only occupy 1 round trip. That's industry standard-- not just with the company I mentioned. 

29 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

My husband & I usually take Amtrak to Newark Penn and then an Uber.

This will most likely be the most cost effective way to do this even with the larger group. 

• Like 2

@princeton123211

Thanks much for your reply!  I do recall seeing Chariots for Hire in the area. I will get my nephew moving on a decision so we can make reservations either using Amtrak or other means.

I think he's more concerned with convenience (since it'll be his first cruise traveling with the kids) over pricing. I'm just going for the ride and to assist! 😆 

1 hour ago, long4acruise said:

@princeton123211

Thanks much for your reply!  I do recall seeing Chariots for Hire in the area. I will get my nephew moving on a decision so we can make reservations either using Amtrak or other means.

I think he's more concerned with convenience (since it'll be his first cruise traveling with the kids) over pricing. I'm just going for the ride and to assist! 😆 

Of course door to door car service would be more convenient - but, aside from likely being a lot less expensive, the Amtrak ride might be enjoyed by the kids.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course door to door car service would be more convenient - but, aside from likely being a lot less expensive, the Amtrak ride might be enjoyed by the kids.

Personally I’d rather take Amtrak with kids than sit in traffic on 95 with them. No need to build in bathroom stops.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Personally I’d rather take Amtrak with kids than sit in traffic on 95 with them. No need to build in bathroom stops.

Exactly - anything which improves a trip for the kids is highly likely to also make it better for the accompanying grown-ups.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Exactly - anything which improves a trip for the kids is highly likely to also make it better for the accompanying grown-ups.

Don't disagree, but the OP's signature says they live in the DC 'burbs on the MD side. Pretty sure they're very familiar with I 95 traffic. It pretty much rules our life around here...

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Don't disagree, but the OP's signature says they live in the DC 'burbs on the MD side. Pretty sure they're very familiar with I 95 traffic. It pretty much rules our life around here...

One more reason to be surprised he might be considering driving over Amtrak.  Even if you had a car service, you’d still be in a car on the road to hell.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your insightful feedback!  Much to consider when traveling with 10 related adults & kids and what works best for all.

The cruise is Fri to Fri, which means more traffic and higher Amtrak fares (than on a Sat or Sun), especially business class for the reserved seats to stay together.

Yes, we do live in the DMV area (MD) and just off the beltway at 495 & rt 50 and 7 min from the Amtrak station. If not going the Amtrak route, as we'd need multiple XL Ubers to the port, I'd only consider a mini-bus type vehicle with an aisle versus a van. 

My nephew and his family had better decide quickly!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

I’d also compare transportation to Union Station and the Acela. All seats are reserved now. Most Acelas no longer stop at New Carrollton. But the Acela can be a good deal if purchased early. You just have to get to Union Station. (BWI is skipped a lot.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markeb said:

I’d also compare transportation to Union Station and the Acela. All seats are reserved now. Most Acelas no longer stop at New Carrollton. But the Acela can be a good deal if purchased early. You just have to get to Union Station. (BWI is skipped a lot.)

Or business class on the NE regional trains.  Also assigned seats, stops at New Carrollton, and cheaper than the Acela 

5 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Or business class on the NE regional trains.  Also assigned seats, stops at New Carrollton, and cheaper than the Acela 

Not always. I’ve seen plenty of times where the Acela was cheaper than the NE Regional. It really depends. Business Class on the NE Regional is a strange bird. It’s not the quiet car. Unless something has changed, you’ve got to walk through the quiet car to get your free baby Pepsi or coffee, and it still makes all the stops. And every car on the Acela is reserved seating. But I agree you have to compare.