Help with flights out of London area

TikiIslandGirl

I’m taking my mother on a Avalon cruise that starts in Bucharest. She wants to do a few days in London pre cruise. I need to get to Bucharest so I have 3 choices of airports/airlines to fly direct. If anyone can give their opinions of which is preferred that would be great. We will be staying in London (I don’t have a hotel yet but it will be a Hilton brand as I’m using points). We plan on doing 2 day trips- one to Windsor and the other to Cotswold so will stay closer to those 2 points or closer to the most convenient transportation needs. My choices are:

BA out of LHR (most expensive)

Ryanair out of STN

Wizzair out of LTN

Thanks with any help

A couple of points to consider - I have flown Ryan air out of Stanstead (pre covid) to Ireland. The flights are fine, but they now charge for all luggage - both checked and/or placed in overhead locker. There is no assigned seating, so you are not guaranteed to sit together (if that is important). I remember we used a minicab to get to airport as we had an early flight. We used the transit bus on our return - I think it went to Kingscross Station - but you would have to check that.

Okay so I’m just a bit old fashioned and I’d fly BA don’t know anything about Wizzair and wouldn’t touch Ryanair with a barge pole for too many reasons. Before you decide though work out where in the Cotswolds you plan on visiting as the area as a whole now includes the city of Bath and altogether is not a small area for one day. Yes Windsor is doable in one day. Also what time of year some of the admittedly cute/pretty/charming Cotswold towns can get really packed with visitors in the summer and late spring. I’m not trying to put you off I live on the edge of the Cotswolds it is a beautiful area, Windsor is Windsor is Windsor one of my old stomping grounds as a youngster pretty, great castle beautiful park with loads of wildlife. Think a bit like this if you were me flying into Washington and had two days to play with where would you go? 

If you choose LHR for your flights, check out the Hilton Paddington Station.  Very easy to get to and from Heathrow via the Heathrow Express train.  Very convenient location.

How much luggage will you have? BA is the most generous with hand luggage, as it's a really decent size case you can have and up to 23kg (although good luck lifting something that heavy into the overhead locker!).

Ryanair and Wizzair are both low cost airlines, and charge for pretty much everything as extra. I don't know too much about Wizzair, but Ryanair you must print out your boarding card (or there is possibly an app, you'd need to check) or you will be charged an absolute fortune at the airport.

Luton is a relatively small airport, and in general always packed. If you want lounge access you absolutely need to book ahead or you've got no chance of getting in! Special Assistance is good if that's a service you require (I have used it there often).