Sanctuary — Odds of Reserving a Couple of Loungers

New2cruise2022

9 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am happy to hear some more specific clarifications!!!

Thank you experts, so much.

I hate if this is a bit of a contentious topic.   But those who are unfamiliar seem to be asking.

There are just two of us... so that is great.

We would def. consider a Cabana, if no loungers available.  (either full day, or 1/2 if offered)

It seems that in these newest ship's Sanctuary, shade is hard to come by.  They do have the tarps in the very front.   But, good shade is another reason to book a Cabana.

Just to clarify.  The Enchanted Princess’s Sanctuary has on average less shade than the Emerald Princess’s Sanctuary?  

I have only been in the Emerald’s Sanctuary that IMO needed mor shade, so this seems backwards.  

Thanks.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 2

The Sanctuary is different on the different ships.

You might do a quick search for you tube videos of Sanctuary Enchanted Princess.

Some have more shade than others.

The canvas type awnings are in just the very front, and they offer SOME shade.  (Sun does come thru)

On the Port and Starboard sides, there does not seem to be any real cover.

20 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’m curious if anyone on this thread has called Princess with your questions. If so I’m curious as to what they said. 

Tom🤔

And what do you suppose the chances are of getting a rep on the phone who has not only been on a ship in question, but also attended the Sanctuary?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Just to clarify.  The Enchanted Princess’s Sanctuary has on average less shade than the Emerald Princess’s Sanctuary?

Yes, this is sadly true.  All of the Royal Class ships have similar lack of real shade.  The best shaded Sanctuaries are on Ruby, Emerald, Crown, Caribbean and probably you can add in Grand, Sapphire and Diamond into the mix.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

And what do you suppose the chances are of getting a rep on the phone who has not only been on a ship in question, but also attended the Sanctuary?

This is the value of CC for me. While at times it feels like you’re chasing your tail, the odds are tremendously better that you will encounter a contributor here that knows the answer — with specificity about specific ships — than and agent on the phone when you call Princess. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Thank you. You would think that the newer designed ships would have provided more shade.  I would be surprised if cruisers today are requesting more sun, but maybe it is age related. 

We were on the Discovery a week ago, and had the Sanctuary booked for two days (Mazatlan day and the second sea day). We were actually the very first to arrive upstairs for booking but even so, found that the B2Bers had grabbed all the best loungers in the shade before us, so only full sun loungers remained. When we told the Sanctuary Maitre'd who was at the front counter booking us in that we greatly preferred shade, he did something we had never seen before (and we've been in a lot of Sanctuaries over the years ;o). He had the staff physically move two of the full sun loungers into the shade for us and hand-drew the new locations on his booking sheet for the two days.  When we arrived for our first day, our two loungers were in "shade" (or what passes for it in the Sanctuary) and we also noticed a gaping hole of the lounger setup in the sunny area, so they didn't have extra loungers, they moved them for us and lost two full sun positions. If you know the Sanctuary layout on these newer ships, there is a LOT of wasted space with floor decorations, useless uncomfortable sofas that few ever use etc., so they moved some huge floor-standing flower pots and put our loungers right at the very front, next to the hot tub. The only downside to that was when people used the hot tub, which fortunately wasn't that often, when they turned on the jets it sounded like we were inside a giant washing machine. TL:DR, the Sanctuary management seems to be aware that many folks want shade even though the Sanctuary design isn't conducive to it, and they have creative ways to oblige customers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

If you know the Sanctuary layout on these newer ships, there is a LOT of wasted space with floor decorations, useless uncomfortable sofas that few ever use etc.,

Thank you!!!!   So far I feel like I am the only one that has said that Princess REALLY MISSED THE MARK on these newer ships...  What has been a welcoming and attractive area is now nothing but an open deck with some industrial/minimalistic box metal frame loungers.   (Hey, do a couple of potted 'plants' really make this an upscale, exclusive, pay-per-use area???)

That said,  I will still be spending time there if we can get availability !

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

And huge prime real estate taken up by massage tent(s) that are rarely ever used.

Absolutely, It makes one wonder about the fundamental business case that Princess used/uses to plan the Sanctuary on these ships. At $40/day/pp for a single lounger, given the size of these areas, how much of a money-maker are they? Even though folks always say the "Sanctuary was empty when I was there, the reality is that most, if not all loungers on the warm weather trips, are sold even if they are not actively being sat in. So do the Sanctuaries actually generate enough revenue to be "wortwhile" to a business like Princess? And if they are, why not re-arrange them a lot better, keeping some of the niceties/decorations but adding more seats to accommodate the demand and increase their revenue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Absolutely, It makes one wonder about the fundamental business case that Princess used/uses to plan the Sanctuary on these ships. At $40/day/pp for a single lounger, given the size of these areas, how much of a money-maker are they? Even though folks always say the "Sanctuary was empty when I was there, the reality is that most, if not all loungers on the warm weather trips, are sold even if they are not actively being sat in. So do the Sanctuaries actually generate enough revenue to be "worthwhile" to a business like Princess? And if they are, why not re-arrange them a lot better, keeping some of the niceties/decorations but adding more seats to accommodate the demand and increase their revenue.

I hear you, but I suppose there is a balance to be achieved as they won't want it as crowded as the Lido deck area which is chock-a-block with loungers. 

Looking at deck plans..  Regal and Enchanted...  Looks like the Sanctuary is about 25%,  or 1/4 less space..  with more cabana space.  Far fewer loungers...  Definitely cutting back on (non-revenue) space here.

That is why,  if booking the Enchanted for the itinerary, I am resigning us to having to hope for a Cabana to get into the Sanctuary at all.  And, that also seems to be the only real shade.

I guess if you gotta pay you gotta pay....

I don't know how long Princess can continue to get so many things wrong...   The Sanctuary should be a Princess High Point!!!!   Especially since it looks like SUN will not even have an open access adult area onboard.   Maybe they will make the excuses of having a totally NON-enforced adult only AFT Terrace.   More things that have us shaking our head...

Edited by Wishing on a star