Sanctuary — Odds of Reserving a Couple of Loungers

New2cruise2022

I’m a first time cruiser with Princess, so no priority boarding to speak of. I do have experience with San Pedro and we will be early arrivers that wait at the port and in the terminal to be among the first — non-elite — passengers to board. 

My question is, based on your experiences, if I go to the sanctuary as soon as I board (sometime between 11 and 11:30) what are my chances that anything will be available for me to reserve. 

For the week?

For the full day? 
For the half day?

I assume with Elite travelers and B2B cruisers that can book before anyone boards, that my chances are slim to none. 

I know the listed prices are $20 for the half, $40 for the whole, or $30 for the day if reserved for the entire sailing. Is there an 18% added to all of those or is that the total price?

I know it’s a lot, but any input is appreciated. Thanks! 

You need to identify the cruise date and destination. 

Read: warmer weather sailings get booked extremely fast, cooler climates not so much.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Three sea days in warm climate?  Oh boy, rush to the Sanctuary as the place will be in demand.

(If you don't get spots, don't fret.  There are loungers nearby the adult-only retreat pool; and you can always get drinks and food delivered to you via your app if you want to use that option).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Three sea days in warm climate?  Oh boy, rush to the Sanctuary as the place will be in demand.

(If you don't get spots, don't fret.  There are loungers nearby the adult-only retreat pool; and you can always get drinks and food delivered to you via your app if you want to use that option).

Great advice. I assumed it will be near impossible that something will still be available. But, I am curious to see if I would even like it. The unknown. 

1 minute ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Great advice. I assumed it will be near impossible that something will still be available. But, I am curious to see if I would even like it. The unknown. 

My wife loves the lounger, sun, reading thing.  She had the Sanctuary on our last Princess cruise.  She didn't think it was worth it to book for a 7-day sailing.  (I was kind of shocked actually).

She's OK with the loungers by the Retreat pool, or above the Retreat pool.  They're close to the pool and the hot tubs and steps away from the bar.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JGmf said:

My wife loves the lounger, sun, reading thing.  She had the Sanctuary on our last Princess cruise.  She didn't think it was worth it to book for a 7-day sailing.  (I was kind of shocked actually).

She's OK with the loungers by the Retreat pool, or above the Retreat pool.  They're close to the pool and the hot tubs and steps away from the bar.

Thanks for sharing your detailed and informative response. I’m actually pretty easy to please, but I am curious to see if I would value having a chair with my name on it

53 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I’m a first time cruiser with Princess, so no priority boarding to speak of. I do have experience with San Pedro and we will be early arrivers that wait at the port and in the terminal to be among the first — non-elite — passengers to board. 

My question is, based on your experiences, if I go to the sanctuary as soon as I board (sometime between 11 and 11:30) what are my chances that anything will be available for me to reserve. 

For the week?

For the full day? 
For the half day?

I assume with Elite travelers and B2B cruisers that can book before anyone boards, that my chances are slim to none. 

I know the listed prices are $20 for the half, $40 for the whole, or $30 for the day if reserved for the entire sailing. Is there an 18% added to all of those or is that the total price?

Keep in mind, if you don't score a lounger in the Sanctuary, just outside that area are plenty of free padded loungers with two hot tubs. One deck below that is the Retreat Pool and Bar. There are lounge chairs there also.

Good Luck and enjoy your first Princess cruise, the Discovery is a beautiful ship!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

That is the total price, with a baked in gratuity amount.  That said, many full-cruise bookers seem to reward the stewards on the last day with some extra cash. 

I love the place, but having done it a lot in the past, I'd be content with full-cruise afternoons now as I'd rather do a couple of other things and not just slack out on a lounger all day long.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That is the total price, with a baked in gratuity amount.  That said, many full-cruise bookers seem to reward the stewards on the last day with some extra cash. 

I love the place, but having done it a lot in the past, I'd be content with full-cruise afternoons now as I'd rather do a couple of other things and not just slack out on a lounger all day long.

Thank you for taking time to answer the question about gratuity. I think for that level of service it makes sense that something is offered in appreciation, I just wondered whether there was something additional required with the upfront cost.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

For the week?

For the full day? 
For the half day?

From my experience I wouldn’t worry about what the cruise is, because if you do, & decide to not go there,  you may hear that the options when 1st boarding was great,   But go there ASAP so you can see what’s available, otherwise you’ll never know. 

Please post if you go there what happened. 

Good Luck!

Tom😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

From my experience I wouldn’t worry about what the cruise is, because if you do, & decide to not go there,  you may hear that the options when 1st boarding was great,   But go there ASAP so you can see what’s available, otherwise you’ll never know. 

Please post if you go there what happened. 

Good Luck!

Tom😀

I’ll check it out! If I find anything, I’ll report back. 

🫡 

46 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

I have a family of four going.  Would it be better if we got a cabana in the Sanctuary?  I don't know what the pricing would be for the family on a daily basis.

Pricing is per cabana, not per person. I believe it's $100/half day. A very nice option with the cabana and the two lounge chairs immediately in front of it included.

Edited by cheetosrevil

I am hoping that the info I have seen here is correct, that Cabanas can be rented for 1'2 day... I believe at $140.   That would be easier on the budget, if it works out time-wise to have a Cabana for the afternoon.

Rene, I am not sure if we have 100% confirmation of how many can be included in a cabana rental.

I wonder if, perhaps they can have up to 4, IF these are all in the same stateroom.

By your earlier posts, it seems you are traveling with your two adult daughters who are sharing a cabin of their own for the two of them.

It would be very nice to have a cabana for a family!!!

But, it is possible that the additional two guests would have to pay the rate for lounger rental.

These cabanas do include the two loungers there at the cabana entry.

I believe the cabanas are $220. per day.  The loungers are $40 per lounger per day.  $20. per half day.

Edited by Wishing on a star

7 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Cabanas are not for 4. Four can hang out in the cabana but you will have to buy two extra lounge chairs on top of the cabin. 

Unless 2 of 4 are going to be using the sofa/sitting area inside, or rotate using lounger.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Unless 2 of 4 are going to be using the sofa/sitting area inside, or rotate using lounger.

that is true but they still make you purchase extra lounge chairs in the sanctuary. 

For booking purposes, it's for two people. We wanted to book it with our friends and that is what was explained to us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

that is true but they still make you purchase extra lounge chairs in the sanctuary. 

For booking purposes, it's for two people. We wanted to book it with our friends and that is what was explained to us. 

Right, so there is an occupation limit unless paying more for extras.  

• Like 1

I am happy to hear some more specific clarifications!!!

Thank you experts, so much.

I hate if this is a bit of a contentious topic.   But those who are unfamiliar seem to be asking.

There are just two of us... so that is great.

We would def. consider a Cabana, if no loungers available.  (either full day, or 1/2 if offered)

It seems that in these newest ship's Sanctuary, shade is hard to come by.  They do have the tarps in the very front.   But, good shade is another reason to book a Cabana.

• Like 1