Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

On 3/31/2024 at 9:44 AM, oaktreerb said:

Traffic is an issue on Oahu.  Honolulu is a big city with big city traffic.  The bus system is great.

We used Uber while we were there. Ship to Diamond Head, Diamond Head to the Waikiki Beach area closest to Diamond Head, walked from there to Outrigger Waikiki, enjoyed their restaurant right beside the beach with great views and then took an Uber back to the ship. More expensive but very convenient door to door service. Saves time too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/2/2024 at 11:58 AM, oregonian17 said:

I totally agree that it is HAL at fault for hiring her in that position. She was the CD on my Dec cruise and I was not happy with her on that cruise.She's a wonderful speaker but that is all the positives I can say about her. ...Grant is a 10++ Are there any negatives for him? NO. And then there's Kristen. I heard that the new cruise director was good. I hope so. 

She was also CD on my Dec Jan holiday cruise - my opinion of her aligns with yours.

She did make her way through the VERY long line of people waiting for cake to show them pictures she had taken, so there's that.

20240105_201209.thumb.jpg.547702ab24b475b2155ef098d2ddd29c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

The movie issue at the Lido has to do with licensing.  We asked during a morning coffee with our CD on one of the Pinnacle class ships - about a year and a half ago - after one evening when the movie that was to replace a football game never showed and they didn’t bother to tell us it wasn’t going to show.  The CD said it was a licensing issue and just because they have licenses to show movies in your stateroom, apparently isn’t the same as showing it on the lido or in the theatre/world stage.  That’s what she said - I think that was Betty.  And licensing means fees — and I think that says it all.

Betty also told us that onboard activities are dictated by HAL headquarters.  I get that for a 7-day cruise, maybe even an 11 or 12 day but 2 weeks and up?  I think they need great staff/crew on board who are energetic and like people and can think on their feet.  That might be a lot to ask.  But read the ship and the passengers.  Not every group is the same.  And if they can have the Club HAL for kids then they can come up with more lively activities for adults.  I’m from the tail end of the baby boomers but I get the Gen X’ers who are active and want to stay that way.  (Just as I should be!)

I’ve always said HAL is known for their great itineraries and fabulous service.  The food in the MDR used to be great but now I think it’s a bit of a crap shoot.  The price is good for those of us who are single and don’t care to share a stateroom.  I’m so over ‘roommates.’

I’m on the 28-day Legendary Alaska voyage in June/July this year so you all have set my expectations high based on your 35-day Legendary South Pacific.  I’ll have to lower my expectations for my 21-day Hawaii, Pacific coast cruise since it isn’t a legendary cruise - but it is on the Koningsdam with the lovely Grand Dutch Cafe and my favorite - the Tamarind.  I might gain a few pounds on that cruise!

Thank you @BermudaBound2014 for starting this thread and giving us your thoughtful insights!    Enjoy Maui!  

Edited by TableGirl
  • Like 5

The movie issue at the Lido has to do with licensing.  We asked during a morning coffee with our CD on one of the Pinnacle class ships - about a year and a half ago - after one evening when the movie that was to replace a football game never showed and they didn’t bother to tell us it wasn’t going to show.  The CD said it was a licensing issue and just because they have licenses to show movies in your stateroom, apparently isn’t the same as showing it on the lido or in the theatre/world stage.  That’s what she said - I think that was Betty.  And licensing means fees — and I think that says it all.

They showed a movie every sea day at 2 pm in the world stage.  They didn't show any of those same movies out at the Lido.  On a tropical cruise, many of us don't want to be stuck inside in the middle afternoon to watch a movie, but would have loved to see some of those movies on the Lido big screen in the evening.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, js1357 said:

Sorry -- meant to reply to the licensing issue...

They showed a movie every sea day at 2 pm in the world stage.  They didn't show any of those same movies out at the Lido.  On a tropical cruise, many of us don't want to be stuck inside in the middle afternoon to watch a movie, but would have loved to see some of those movies on the Lido big screen in the evening.  

42 minutes ago, highscar said:

@TableGirl you say the price is good for a single,  then why am I paying double?     

Yes, I pay double too BUT it’s less expensive than say Oceania or Viking or Regent (which would be my preference).  But better quality than Royal Caribbean or Norwegian.  I prefer a smaller ship - the Pinnacle class ships are great for the dining venues but the number of passengers overwhelm many ports.  I miss the Prinsendam and the other smaller ships they got rid of during the pandemic.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TableGirl said:

Yes, I pay double too BUT it’s less expensive than say Oceania or Viking or Regent (which would be my preference).  But better quality than Royal Caribbean or Norwegian.  I prefer a smaller ship - the Pinnacle class ships are great for the dining venues but the number of passengers overwhelm many ports.  I miss the Prinsendam and the other smaller ships they got rid of during the pandemic.

Loved the Prisendam!  My favorite in the line!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, js1357 said:

Movies in Lido

I was on this cruise in 2023 and you could not hear nor understand movies in the Lido. When we disembarked last year the ship went to drydock and they put in a new sound system. Believe me when I say it was so much better. I wear hearing aids but could hear the movie clearly on this voyage. 

• Like 1

For anyone who might be interested, here is the link to  my youtube channel with the playlist of videos of our cruise. Right now, I am up to our first day in Moorea. In the next few days, I will be adding more videos covering the rest of our cruise .  I have skipped over the sea days, but will eventually add them too. I hope you all enjoy the vids!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

22 hours ago, SonuvaBeach said:

For anyone who might be interested, here is the link to  my youtube channel with the playlist of videos of our cruise. Right now, I am up to our first day in Moorea. In the next few days, I will be adding more videos covering the rest of our cruise .  I have skipped over the sea days, but will eventually add them too. I hope you all enjoy the vids!

Thanks for sharing.  I was hoping someone would post on You Tube.

Rollie

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 1:22 PM, Rhonda and Keith said:

Great picture of you. I sent you a PM. 

Smooches, but I have no idea how that pic showed up and it’s too late to edit. I must have had extra coffee that day and got to clicking 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 2:40 AM, SonuvaBeach said:

Jim,I finally got some time to watch every single video (Maui is still keeping me busy, whale season ended last week but several whales didn’t get the memo). These videos are exceptional and a wonderful reminder of the trip. Thank you so much. I was fun to spot me in so many. I shared a few with DH so he could see what he missed. We really did do a lot of excursions together! Goes without saying that I will hold you and Toni’s friendship near and dear for life :).

Posted (edited)

I know I promised to answer all questions and post more videos. To be honest, I’ve been super busy on Maui but everyone has now went back home and I’m done entertaining (as you can imagine I’m everyone favorite aunt when I’m on island lol).

I have the next three weeks to actually take time to reflect on this whirlwind of a winter before I head “home”. (I really haven’t been to Michigan since January). It’s a bit of a blur and I want to take some time in meditation to cement the experiences into memory. I am still overwhelmed with gratitude.

I’m afraid that everything i have to say now is totally outdated and irrelevant but I will do my best to answer any remaining questions, post the videos I couldn’t post onboard and give one final summation.

Here are the Fakarava videos I took. Let me know if you can see them. Blue and green lagoon. The snorkeling wasn’t as great here but the water colors (which don’t show up well) were exceptional.

I had zero expectations for this stop and it turned out to blow me away. I’m booked on the same tour next year but may do something different. I had friends that just walked down to a hotel beach and the photos were out of this world! 

Welcoming committee (we had this in several stops)….

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Those videos look blank on my phone- can someone please let me know if you can view them? 

Also let me know if you just want me to stop. I feel like this is now a groundhogs day review. 🤣

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Those videos look blank on my phone- can someone please let me know if you can view them? 

Also let me know if you just want me to stop. I feel like this is now a groundhogs day review. 🤣

I was able to view them with no issues,  thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The videos are fine... crisp and clear. 

And, do not stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  Continue with this review right up until you step on the ship in Feb 2025, then you can start a brand new one. 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, julia said:

The videos are fine... crisp and clear. 

And, do not stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  Continue with this review right up until you step on the ship in Feb 2025, then you can start a brand new one. 😂

You are my people 🙂 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 8:01 PM, Riversedge said:

Here you go

IMG_2563.jpeg

Hey, we'll be on that cruise... and the next one and the one after that! 71 days at sea - but no driving to the port this time! In case anyone is interested, final mileage Michigan-Miami-San Diego-Michigan was 7,491 miles. We sure saw a lot along the way! And thanks to all of you for helping to make it a fun adventure! Keep on cruisin'!

Jim and Pam

• Like 3