Distance between the N.Y. cruise port & the airport?

Bwana Tom

I'm pulling up suggested travel times now, at 7:30PM on a Friday, supposedly after rush hour, not that rush hour ever ends in NYC.  You would be arriving in the morning, leaving the ship in the AM rush hour, or slightly after.  Certainly a Saturday or Sunday would be better.

The cruise terminal is in the Red Hook area of Brooklyn:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UzDsjCPxJhx6ZKGFA

(since you posted in the Princess group, I'm assuming you're sailing with them.  They almost always use Brooklyn instead of mid-town Manhattan.)

Newark Liberty Airport (EWR) is 18-22 miles away:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/XwEkU3pqGyrL3tuV6

43 minutes on the best route (through Staten Island, which is 22 miles.  It's 55 minutes on the shortest route.)

LaGuardia Airport (LGA) is 13 miles away:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/L8tvme5BdwspE7Pm6

35 minutes.

JFK Airport is 18-24 miles, depending on the freeway chosen to travel:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/H6go24sSQ9DeNJfP8

Current best travel time is 40 minutes for the 24 mile route (55 minutes for the 18 mile one)

Public transportation is in the 1.5+  hour range, partly because the terminal is not very close to any subway station.

When I last sailed out of Red Hook, it was a Saturday dis-embarkment, and I was fairly lucky with traffic once I got to the Interstate (heading south through Staten Island, which would be the likely route to Newark.) 

I would check Uber/Lyft, and definitely transfers offered by Princess, for pricing (you can do a "dummy" trip check on Uber or Lyft.  NYC Taxis are also available, but not sure how to check costs.  Those would be more likely to be stable, rather than demand-pricing on Uber/Lyft.  And private car services, such as the one linked in the post above, are viable as well.

I also wouldn't reserve a flight until the afternoon, because there's no assurance that traffic will behave.

(Note, I was born about two miles from Red Hook, although I no longer live in the area.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We always use Carmel Car Service - they are prompt and reliable. It all depends on the traffic. Last time we went from LGA to Red Hook , it took almost 2 hours due to terrible traffic. It should normally take about 30 to 40 minutes. We always fly in a day ahead.

Advise which airport and if you are arriving, disembarking or both. Be aware that you almost certainly your ship will be in Red Hook, Brooklyn. If you are flying out of Newark would suggest the Princess transfer. There basically is no convenient public transportation to any of the 3 airports. If fly in to embark would strongly suggest you fly in at least a day early. Remember that a 6 hour flight from Montana will arrive 9 hours after take off because of the time change.  

Edited by skynight

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Advise which airport and if you are arriving, disembarking or both. Be aware that you almost certainly your ship will be in Red Hook, Brooklyn. If you are flying out of Newark would suggest the Princess transfer. There basically is no convenient public transportation to any of the 3 airports. If fly in to embark would strongly suggest you fly in at least a day early. Remember that a 6 hour flight from Montana will arrive 9 hours after take off because of the time change.  

I agree with arriving a day earlier (good example of time change), but that just complicates transportation services unless you stay near the airport.  Then you can use Princess transfers.  

Boarding/disembarking in New York (and Galveston) is difficult with the airports "so" far away with traffic.

One thing you dont want to do in New York regarding airport transportation is to take the offer of some guy who may solicit you for a ride from the airport.  The cabs at all of the NYC airports are well regulated (usually its a flat rate to certain areas of town.  Like midtown hotels, downtown hotels, etc) to not rip you off and I found the cost of a NYC cab to be similar to an Uber/Lyft.  

You have 3 major airports in (or near) the city.  Newark, which is technically in Jersey, but is really close to the city  (IMO not the nicest airport... but it does have a nice convenient train station that you could take an Amtrak into the city for likely very little money) LaGuardia is located in Queens (which on its outskirts is very suburby despite being part of the city) and is a pretty nice airport.  I like LaGuardia.   Kennedy airport is also located in Queens and is the largest of the three I believe.   And along with being the largest in terms of traffic, with a footprint that was built in the 50s, it suffers from some pretty severe congestion.  Great airport.  Crap design for modern airplanes with some pretty severe ground delays, especially if you're flying Delta.  I have no clue why, but Delta and Kennedy do NOT seem to get along well on the ground.  .  

If I were giving advice on which airport to pick of these three it would be LaGuardia, Kennedy and then Newark.  Just in terms of what airport is pleasant to fly in and out of.  

Sometimes, you do not have a choice of airports. It all depends which airline you are flying and destination.  I don’t have a lot experience with New York, but did fly to Honolulu.  Only option was JFK.  It is a huge airport !  

I stayed overnight at the Hilton since I was flying west (only direct flights are early morning).  Stones throw from the airport, but it took about 20 minutes due to traffic.

Definitely check your flights in terms of cost as well.  I believe American, JetBlue and Delta both fly to all three airports but you may have several hundred dollars of cost difference between the airports

OH another word to the wise.  If you're flying Frontier or Southwest.... do NOT fly into Macarthur airport (sometimes also called Islip).  This very small airport is located on Long Island and is a LONG drive  (or train using the LIRR) from the city. 

• Like 1

Question on limo/car service drop off at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.  When I Google the terminal, it seems there are a couple of places to get dropped off. Does anyone have experience with this port, or any advice? Where should I have the drive drop me off at. I will have two pieces of roller luggage with me.  Thanks, John

13 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

I'm pulling up suggested travel times now, at 7:30PM on a Friday, supposedly after rush hour, not that rush hour ever ends in NYC.  You would be arriving in the morning, leaving the ship in the AM rush hour, or slightly after.  Certainly a Saturday or Sunday would be better.

The cruise terminal is in the Red Hook area of Brooklyn:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UzDsjCPxJhx6ZKGFA

(since you posted in the Princess group, I'm assuming you're sailing with them.  They almost always use Brooklyn instead of mid-town Manhattan.)

Newark Liberty Airport (EWR) is 18-22 miles away:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/XwEkU3pqGyrL3tuV6

43 minutes on the best route (through Staten Island, which is 22 miles.  It's 55 minutes on the shortest route.)

LaGuardia Airport (LGA) is 13 miles away:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/L8tvme5BdwspE7Pm6

35 minutes.

JFK Airport is 18-24 miles, depending on the freeway chosen to travel:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/H6go24sSQ9DeNJfP8

Current best travel time is 40 minutes for the 24 mile route (55 minutes for the 18 mile one)

Public transportation is in the 1.5+  hour range, partly because the terminal is not very close to any subway station.

When I last sailed out of Red Hook, it was a Saturday dis-embarkment, and I was fairly lucky with traffic once I got to the Interstate (heading south through Staten Island, which would be the likely route to Newark.) 

I would check Uber/Lyft, and definitely transfers offered by Princess, for pricing (you can do a "dummy" trip check on Uber or Lyft.  NYC Taxis are also available, but not sure how to check costs.  Those would be more likely to be stable, rather than demand-pricing on Uber/Lyft.  And private car services, such as the one linked in the post above, are viable as well.

I also wouldn't reserve a flight until the afternoon, because there's no assurance that traffic will behave.

(Note, I was born about two miles from Red Hook, although I no longer live in the area.)

Thank you very much...super great info. Now that Princess is cruising back and forth from Fort Lauderdale and N.Y. we were looking of possibly booking a Caribbean cruise out of Lauderdale to wind up in N.Y. then fly home upon our arrival.

Thanks again for all the effort to provide me with this info.  

2 hours ago, Bwana Tom said:

Thank you very much...super great info. Now that Princess is cruising back and forth from Fort Lauderdale and N.Y. we were looking of possibly booking a Caribbean cruise out of Lauderdale to wind up in N.Y. then fly home upon our arrival.

Thanks again for all the effort to provide me with this info.  

Ft. Lauderdale to NYC sailings are very limited. With my quick review I only noticed one, but there may be another. Maybe one from FLL to Boston. A passenger boarding in Ft. Lauderdale can only disembark in New York or any other U.S. port if the ship visits one of the ABC Islands, a distant foreign port as defined under US law. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Ft. Lauderdale to NYC sailings are very limited. With my quick review I only noticed one, but there may be another. Maybe one from FLL to Boston. A passenger boarding in Ft. Lauderdale can only disembark in New York or any other U.S. port if the ship visits one of the ABC Islands, a distant foreign port as defined under US law. 

Or Cartagena, Columbia.

We have used NYC Perfect Transportation a few times now and have always had great service. We've used them for transport from airport to cruise terminal, cruise terminal to airport and have also used them for site seeing tour. For me I love that as soon as I get in their vehicle - I'm on vacation, I'm done planning for months, the driver meets us at the curb or at baggage (whichever we choose) and takes the luggage and I'm done and can relax and enjoy the ride.  If doing a tour before or after cruising, luggage can just stay in the vehicle.

For future posters, there are THREE NYC Metropolitan airports, and THREE NYC Metropolitan Cruise ports.  Including which airport and cruise port you are utilizing makes these questions easier to answer

On 2/25/2024 at 5:31 AM, navybankerteacher said:

From which of the three airports - to which of the three cruise ports?

Two important questions to be answered.

it seems that all responses were assuming the OP was leaving from Brooklyn. OP only used the term New York. Perhaps it could have been the Manhattan port?

On 2/16/2024 at 9:07 PM, skynight said:

Remember that a 6 hour flight from Montana will arrive 9 hours after take off because of the time change.  

To clarify— a 6 hour flight from Montana to NY (or NJ) is a 6 hour flight; it will arrive 6 hours after takeoff. But the actual local time in NY (or NJ) will be 2 hours later because of the different time zone. (Unless I’m completely mistaken, Montana is in the Mountain Time Zone, which is 2 hours behind the Eastern Time Zone, not 3.)

On 2/17/2024 at 11:46 AM, skynight said:

On 2/17/2024 at 1:27 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Or Cartagena, Columbia.

Or Santa Marta, Colombia. (We’ve had a port call there.)

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

In fact, Newark is actually in New Jersey. 😊

And, while close enough to be considered a New York airport,  still not close enough - when Mayor LaGuardia flew back from a trip to Chicago in the 1930’s his plane landed at Newark - and he refused to get off because had a ticket to New York - he won his point, and went on to Floyd Bennet Field at significant cost to the airline (and wound up getting a REAL New York airport named for him).

• Haha 1