Most Lucrative Rewards Program?

ReneeFLL

We are taking our first cruise on VV in a few weeks and I’m trying to learn what I can.

On VV website it says they have the most lucrative rewards program at sea. What am I missing? Are there more than what I listed below? Do they plan on improving it? We sail on Scarlet Lady in about 2 weeks.

A $100.00 bar tab

Expedited boarding

Bag of laundry

Wifi 

Sailor support

Exclusive cocktail event

On Royal Caribbean as a top tier passenger I get -

6 free drinks/cocktails a day. There is a limit to the price which I think is $14.00 per drink. 

A dedicated lounge with appetizers in the evening, breakfast (no hot foods), but still nice and sandwiches, etc at lunch. It also has a coffee machine that will make lattes, cappuccinos, etc.

A discount on the cabin. 

Bag of laundry.

Photo which I think is an 8 x 10. We are photo people so we only took it once years ago.

3 gifts. We normally choose 3 bottles of champagne, but there’s a long list of stuff.

Wifi.

Discount on stuff in Royals logo shop.

Expedited check in line.

Loyality ambassadors.

Cheers with the officers. It’s basically a nice lunch (filet mignon, etc) with free flowing champagne and wine while the Captain and some others give a small speech.

Upgraded amenities such as shampoo, conditioner and lotion.

There are more benefits, but I can’t remember them all. 

If I’m on a longer cruise the $100.00 bar tab isn’t going to go very far. On Royal my 6 free drinks a day is for every day regardless of how long the cruise is.

Royal uses Starlink for their wifi. Does VV also use this?

Edited by ReneeFLL

You missed $10 per day credit in Grounds Club (specialty coffee and tea), a couple of items dry cleaned or pressed, premium wifi (unlimited).  That's about it.  BUT until 2024, you could get this on your first cruise thru status match or after only 2 cruises without status match.  Yes, VV uses starlink.

You spent a ton of money becoming eligible for all those perks on Royal.  ALL food is included in the cruise fare on VV except for a few upcharge items in restaurants, so your food perks on Royal is an automatic on VV.  
No, $100 bar tab may not cover you.....but I also have a $600 bonus on my next cruise since I booked during that promotion and $600 in loot for a rebooking while on board (in addition to a $300 discount on the cruise fare) 

I've done over 50 cruises on multiple lines.  For people just getting started on the line, VV has great benefits.  I have 30 cruises on DCL, and get better perks on VV.  They are better than Princess and Celebrity where I have something like 10 credits  each.  If I'd spent 25 years cruising Royal, I guess I'd get better loyalty perks...but  again, I'm really happy with what I get on VV for just a few sailings.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

You missed $10 per day credit in Grounds Club (specialty coffee and tea), a couple of items dry cleaned or pressed, premium wifi (unlimited).  That's about it.  BUT until 2024, you could get this on your first cruise thru status match or after only 2 cruises without status match.  Yes, VV uses starlink.

You spent a ton of money becoming eligible for all those perks on Royal.  ALL food is included in the cruise fare on VV except for a few upcharge items in restaurants, so your food perks on Royal is an automatic on VV.  
No, $100 bar tab may not cover you.....but I also have a $600 bonus on my next cruise since I booked during that promotion and $600 in loot for a rebooking while on board (in addition to a $300 discount on the cruise fare) 

I've done over 50 cruises on multiple lines.  For people just getting started on the line, VV has great benefits.  I have 30 cruises on DCL, and get better perks on VV.  They are better than Princess and Celebrity where I have something like 10 credits  each.  If I'd spent 25 years cruising Royal, I guess I'd get better loyalty perks...but  again, I'm really happy with what I get on VV for just a few sailings.

This is very well said! 

I got the benefits after 1 sailing and have been given an automatic bar tab for each booking, way more stuff is included than other lines already but that just makes it even better. The coffee credit enhances this further. The bag of laundry was also a great service and very welcome whilst we've got on the ship much earlier twice due to priority boarding.

• Like 5

Virgin hasn't launched their permanent loyalty program yet. So it's not entirely fair to compare the easily earned temporary benefits they have in place with an entirely fleshed out, tiered program. So the most fair answer is to check back when they actually launch their loyalty program before deciding.

That being said, Virgin's current loyalty benefits lag behind in total dollar value compared to even Diamond on Royal, let alone Pinnacle, on cruises longer than about 4 days. Royal is just a better deal. There are exceptions of course, prices on Icon are insane for instance. But apples to apples, for you Royal includes 168 dollar per day worth of alcohol, a private lounge, and access to the suite's area; while Virgin includes 10 dollar per day in coffee and Royal's unlimited dining package (typically cost on Royal being around 600 total). Everything else is largely the same. The fact that some of what you get from Pinnacle status on Royal, everyone gets on Virgin, doesn't really make a difference for you.

Edited by Tolkmit
  • Like 1

The difference is that we've paid for whatever status we have on other lines, while VV is giving us these extras, whether it is our first cruise or our 31st....for now.  Yes, they keep saying that they are working on their loyalty program and things will be different.  But for now, I'll enjoy the extras they are giving me.  One thing I know is that with all the included thing, the rebooking on board benefits, the DBE benefits, etc. I get off the ship with a MUCH lower charge to my credit card than on any other line and I do more since I'm not paying for it in cash.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cantgetin said:

The difference is that we've paid for whatever status we have on other lines, while VV is giving us these extras, whether it is our first cruise or our 31st....for now.  Yes, they keep saying that they are working on their loyalty program and things will be different.  But for now, I'll enjoy the extras they are giving me.  One thing I know is that with all the included thing, the rebooking on board benefits, the DBE benefits, etc. I get off the ship with a MUCH lower charge to my credit card than on any other line and I do more since I'm not paying for it in cash.

This is a very good point about comparing the final bill, mine is next to nothing since sailing Virgin primarily because of the savings on drinks, internet, gratuities and a variety of other things I've had included. Very noticeable as this was always the downside when cruising.

Where the change might come is with virgin's new pricing as all the cruises have done with them so far have been great deals including 2 I am on this year. I might feel different if paying more but I think you still get more included than on others and some of the competition seems to have high pricing for less.

• Like 3

Exactly--my final bill on VV has been in the single digits each time, while is typically in the hundreds on other lines.  Each of my sailings, as well as my upcoming booking has included some level of complimentary bar tab and loot.  On my first sailing it was "some." but on following sailings, it has been $600-800 in each category.  Our tips alone on other lines would have been $500, and the internet several hundred more.  

Still, the new pricing model increased the cost for a new booking on our upcoming cruise  to 4 times what we paid.  We knew the old pricing model couldn't last, but that doesn't  justify the new prices even with all the inclusions.  I could honestly justify VV doubling their prices; that would put them reasonably in line with other companies.  But for now, our plan is to cruise what we have booked, then take a break from cruising for a while.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DisneyDatknee said:

Given that this is a new line, those perks will most likely dwindle down, but who knows, Virgin might be different!

They claim they will be announcing improvements soo. Time will tell.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 1:31 AM, cantgetin said:

I was looking to see what the differences are in the loyalty program since VV says theirs is the best at sea. I’m not talking about the cruise fare or what’s included in it such as better food, booking bonuses, etc. Those things change with different bookings.

I listed wifi under VV. I didn’t know they have 2 different kinds. Royal used to, but now only one using Starlink. There must not have been a special for the 600.00 bonus when I booked, but that’s not part of the rewards program which I also don’t think the rebooking thing is either. Was it because you canceled a cruise and rebooked it? Those bonuses are something I would be looking at when comparing cruise prices. Thanks for mentioning the pressing and dry cleaning. Can I bring my husband’s uniform? 🤣 Just kidding as they would immediately recognize it as an airline uniform. I would never do it anyway. Dry cleaning would be good if I was on a longer cruise. 

Yes, I did spend a ton of money on Royal in the last 13 years to get to where I am, but I enjoyed every cruise. I would have spent that money regardless. I did get the status match to get the DBE. One definite thing I know I’ll enjoy is no kids.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2024 at 9:26 PM, soccersharon said:

With my status match, we received all the OP’s benefits - without spending a dime or ever having sailed on Virgin.

Which benefits are you talking about? The DBE?

On 2/19/2024 at 11:46 PM, cantgetin said:

I don’t see it as paying for the benefits on other lines. I see it as I paid for cruises and the benefits are a bonus. I would have spent that money regardless. I’m not trying to knock VV. I’m just trying to find out if I’m missing something since they say theirs is better. I’m also interested to see what they end up with as their benefits once it’s finalized. Really looking forward to our first VV cruise in a little more than a week. 💃🏼 🥂

On 2/20/2024 at 4:06 PM, Gretchendz said:

They claim they will be announcing improvements soo. Time will tell.

That’s what I’m hoping for, but not sure where it will leave people like me who are getting the DBE due to status match. Will they allow us to keep the status match? Only time will tell.

I also never have a bill, except for about 10.00 to have some shirts pressed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That’s what I’m hoping for, but not sure where it will leave people like me who are getting the DBE due to status match. Will they allow us to keep the status match? Only time will tell.

I can tell you I qualified using status match and got the benefits in January.  But given they are supposedly improving the program I would be shocked if they took it away from people who signed up in good faith. Time will tell, of course.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gretchendz said:

I can tell you I qualified using status match and got the benefits in January.  But given they are supposedly improving the program I would be shocked if they took it away from people who signed up in good faith. Time will tell, of course.

I don't believe DBE was ever meant to be a permanent offering for Sea Blazers or Sea Rovers. There was always an expiration date. Sure it's been extended a few times, but it's always been there.

Just now, CineGraphic said:

I don't believe DBE was ever meant to be a permanent offering for Sea Blazers or Sea Rovers. There was always an expiration date. Sure it's been extended a few times, but it's always been there.

True, but a girl can dream!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

The status match thus far has just been for DBE which will expire. I don't think you should expect having DBE to translate into having anything in the full program when it launches. Cruises taken on Virgin prior to their program launch will likely earn rewards as if they had been taken after the program launch though.

The real question is, will they offer a status match when they launch their fully fleshed out, tiered rewards program. And I suspect the answer is, it depends on how sales are doing at that time, along with the dollar value of their rewards program. But we have no way of knowing. They've repeatedly punted on the rewards program, which makes sense. They have to figure out how to be profitable as a company first.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I was told on my last cruise by the gentleman at the Future Cruise Credit spot that Sea Blazers would always retain the perks as recognition for their support of VV. Now whether this is true or not, who knows.

Just now, Wildcatllamas said:

I was told on my last cruise by the gentleman at the Future Cruise Credit spot that Sea Blazers would always retain the perks as recognition for their support of VV. Now whether this is true or not, who knows.

Some sort of perks like the extra bar tab yes, but not necessarily DBE.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

They have stopped issuing the status match as of 2024--people who signed up prior to that time will keep the match thru 2024.  Also, I've read that DBE will be discontinued at the end of 2024, to be replaced by another set of benefits for those who have qualified with 2 cruises during a specified time frame.  Unfortunately, they have changed the various dates so many times that I now figure that it will be what it will be.  

I have heard that Sea Blazers (those who sailed in 2021) will keep their bar tab bonus for life although the other benefits may change.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:26 PM, soccersharon said:

With my status match, we received all the OP’s benefits - without spending a dime or ever having sailed on Virgin.

Same with us. I think it's very generous!

• Like 4