Never Again RCI

On 2/21/2024 at 10:26 AM, cruzsnooze said:

Insurance was what you needed and you got it. My point is and was that not every one needs it. Check out what you may already have before you may the decision.

I hope you've recovered and are looking forward to many more cruises. 

Thank you.  I have recovered as well as can be expected.  Fortunately those who survive a brainstem stroke (according to my neurologist, the survival rate is quite low...approx. 5%) typically only suffer from lifelong balance issues.  That is my only lingering problem.  I just take my time and am careful.  I did a TA from Rome this past October (a bit challenging, but I felt a sense of accomplishment having done it) and we just got back from 14 days on a Caribbean cruise.  I won't let this hold me back.  Covid already stole too many travel years, I don't want to give up anymore.  At the age of 68, I know my traveling years are becoming more and more limited with each passing birthday!LOL

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I'll admit I'm not as familiar with Medicare. However, I do know it is not all-encompassing. Some people buy supplemental coverage for this reason. If someone has a concern that they are prone to illness or injury, or that their healthcare needs could surpass their means, that is not limited to big scary cruise ship. At least some of those needs could potentially overlap elsewhere. 

One of many reasons why I advocate for know what you're buying, know what you need, know what you have. Too many people have zero clue as to any of these things. They are often sold by fear by the TA, travel provider, or someone else else, and that is all they need. 

Our supplemental is Tricare. It costs my husband ZERO and me $25/month.  DH pays the max amount for Medicare every month, but it's not that expensive.  So, more than worth it to have it and then buy travel insurance.   You don't have to be prone to illness or injury to have something happen.  Everyone should be concerned.  Freak accidents and surprise illnesses do happen all the time.   It's not fear to buy insurance.  It's about being prepared for something you can't control.

Edited by BND
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It's crazy how many people will thank the lord that their (insert insurance) will cover them $500-$2000 unexpected costs, but will drop $5,000 over a decade on premiums (not even considering interest) without a second thought because that's what we do. 

It's often followed by "I can't afford that sudden cost! I live paycheck to paycheck!" If only there were ways to manage big picture money better.... Many years ago, I realized that buying expensive health insurance for "peace of mind" was a colossal waste of my money. Then the few times I actually needed it, I still had to pay out of pocket. Instead of listening to scenarios of "what if I'm the <1% of catastrophes, therefore I need to pay more for fear coverage" I decided to take a different route. Take all of that extra money, and put it into an HSA instead. That nest egg will be helpful for any health scenario my entire life. Not just one-off fear scenarios where I pay a fee to get access to it. Now, if I bring up that example of a decent HSA balance, it is shrugged off as I am privileged, and others can't do it. Instead, we find comfort in victim protection and paying for band-aids we don't truly need. 

Good luck.

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

My everyday medical insurance would cover this part, even out of the country.

I am on Medicare with a supplement   

I am covered worldwide. 

have Medex Bronze with GEOBLUE  which has excellent medical coverage and evacuation coverage. It is my regular heath insurance that covers me worldwide. 

•  

6 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Yes, and this reminds me to mention one other important factor when purchasing trip insurance.  Get one that is Primary!  Meaning that many times the trip insurance company will pay the provider direct without getting your pocketbook involved.  Or reimbursement will be easier because there is no other health insurance to weed through before approving a claim.

Our health insurance (Medicare and our states BCBS Sapphire plan) does not cover us outside the United States.

Are you sure that you are not covered? I’m on Medex Bronze which is BlueCross. 
BlueCross gives you the option to pay about $300/ annualy for world wide coverage and excellent evacuation benefits. 
it’s called GEOBLUE 

Google the information to see if you are covered!

23 minutes ago, Wasasalad said:

I am on Medicare with a supplement   

I am covered worldwide. 

have Medex Bronze with GEOBLUE  which has excellent medical coverage and evacuation coverage. It is my regular heath insurance that covers me worldwide. 

•  

Good to know.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It's crazy how many people will thank the lord that their (insert insurance) will cover them $500-$2000 unexpected costs, but will drop $5,000 over a decade on premiums (not even considering interest) without a second thought because that's what we do. 

It's often followed by "I can't afford that sudden cost! I live paycheck to paycheck!" If only there were ways to manage big picture money better.... Many years ago, I realized that buying expensive health insurance for "peace of mind" was a colossal waste of my money. Then the few times I actually needed it, I still had to pay out of pocket. Instead of listening to scenarios of "what if I'm the <1% of catastrophes, therefore I need to pay more for fear coverage" I decided to take a different route. Take all of that extra money, and put it into an HSA instead. That nest egg will be helpful for any health scenario my entire life. Not just one-off fear scenarios where I pay a fee to get access to it. Now, if I bring up that example of a decent HSA balance, it is shrugged off as I am privileged, and others can't do it. Instead, we find comfort in victim protection and paying for band-aids we don't truly need. 

As someone who is on $7,500 worth of meds for my asthma every month, my annual travel policy has come in handy multiple times. 

I also "waste" $3,600 a year on car and house insurance, despite rarely needing the car insurance and never needing the house insurance. Guess I should have banked it instead, using your logic. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

As someone who is on $7,500 worth of meds for my asthma every month, my annual travel policy has come in handy multiple times.

I'm curious what you mean by this.  How does your annual travel policy relate to your asthma medications?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I did.  I'm still confused as to what the connection is between the asthma medications and travel insurance.

I guess she is implying she uses her travel insurance for her asthma meds to the previous poster who doesn't buy any insurance.  At least that's what I'm gathering.

2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I guess she is implying she uses her travel insurance for her asthma meds to the previous poster who doesn't buy any insurance.  At least that's what I'm gathering.

Interesting.  I didn't know that was even an option (using travel insurance to purchase medications).

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Well, let's talk about the real cost for JUST medical and evacuation insurance for a cruise. 

Prompted by this thread, I booked it just today for our upcoming cruise.  We don't get comprehensive insurance; that is, we don't have cancellation insurance or lost luggage insurance; and we ONLY insure the cruise itself, not the drive down in our own car.  That is, we're picking and choosing JUST what we deem important.  

Medical + evacuation insurance for me and my husband was just under $60 -- can't remember if I paid $57 or $58.  Lots of people spend that per person /per day for a drink package.  

Our adult daughter has to have her own policy.  $27.  That's the cost of a fast-food meal for the three of us on the drive down.  

If we accept someone else's number of 30K for a medical evacuation, it'd take a lot of cruises to "get ahead".  

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Many years ago, I realized that buying expensive health insurance for "peace of mind" was a colossal waste of my money.

I agree with not over-insuring.  We always choose modest policies and large deductibles, but I definitely want to keep medical insurance, especially since mine's literally free.  

My daughter spent two nights in the hospital recently -- $40,000, and that's just the hospital /not the doctor.  My friend who had breast cancer told me numbers I found hard to believe -- one round of some treatments were literally the cost of a small car, and she had, I think, 16 of them.  

2 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Fortunately those who survive a brainstem stroke (according to my neurologist, the survival rate is quite low...approx. 5%) typically only suffer from lifelong balance issues. 

My husband is also a brainstem stroke survivor, and I had no idea the survival rate was so low -- kinda glad I didn't know when he was going through it.  The doctor said he had the smallest possible stroke in the worst possible place.  He didn't lose any speech or memories, but -- yes -- balance is a struggle.

2 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

At the age of 68, I know my traveling years are becoming more and more limited with each passing birthday!LOL

I'm mid-50s, but I have a plan:  When I reach the point I can't manage on my own, I'll bring my grandson or great-nieces along as my caretakers.  They'll be happy to have a free trip, and I'll have someone young and strong to carry my luggage and help me in whatever way.

I just looked back at the prices I paid today, and I didn't remember them correctly in my above post -- at least in my daughter's single-person policy I had a 7 and a 2.  Anyway, the point is that medical and evacuation only isn't expensive.

Screenshot 2024-02-22 6.59.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-22 7.01.02 PM.png

10 hours ago, dwp10mm said:

Thanks for this timely post.  I just booked my airfare for our Odyssey sailing out of Rome this coming August.  Due to the price of my Delta One tickets, I picked the insurance option.  The cost to insure just that trip is more than a yearly plan, and the Emergency Transportation coverage was only $50,000.  Everything else is almost identical to what you posted above and I have started to review it on the Allianz site. 

We do not insure our air thinking that we can use the air credit on another trip.  Our airline tickets will expire in August of 2024.  So if the May trip is a no go, we can book something for late summer, as long as we fly back on or before the ticket expiration date.  

You brought up a good point with evacuation amounts.  Ever since reading a couple of reviews from cruisers who were injured or became ill on cruises, and the amount that was charged for evacuation from their ships, we look for the maximum amount of evacuation coverage that we can get.  Usually the $1,000.000 coverage when going overseas.  

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'll admit I'm not as familiar with Medicare. However, I do know it is not all-encompassing. Some people buy supplemental coverage for this reason.

We have the supplemental insurance to Medicare, however, it does not provide care outside of the U.S.  Yes, Wasasalad, I am sure.  I am interested in the Medex Bronze GeoBlue. I told my DH about it at dinner.  He is going to call our insurance guy.  What is the amount of medical evacuation that is offered?

For those that have the annual policy's what is your coverage?  Same for the MedJet Assist folks.  What is the maximum amount of medical, and the evacuation on that policy?  MumtoMercury.  What amount of coverage do you get?

One point to make on the annual policies.  Most of you already know that there is a limit of use for these policies per year.  Both in dollar amounts and on the number of claims.  Others may not be aware of that.

5 hours ago, Wasasalad said:

Are you sure that you are not covered? I’m on Medex Bronze which is BlueCross. 
BlueCross gives you the option to pay about $300/ annualy for world wide coverage and excellent evacuation benefits
it’s called GEOBLUE 

Google the information to see if you are covered!

Edited by Iamthesea

43 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

We do not insure our air thinking that we can use the air credit on another trip.  Our airline tickets will expire in August of 2024.  So if the May trip is a no go, we can book something for late summer, as long as we fly back on or before the ticket expiration date.  

You brought up a good point with evacuation amounts.  Ever since reading a couple of reviews from cruisers who were injured or became ill on cruises, and the amount that was charged for evacuation from their ships, we look for the maximum amount of evacuation coverage that we can get.  Usually the $1,000.000 coverage when going overseas.  

We have the supplemental insurance to Medicare, however, it does not provide care outside of the U.S.  Yes, Wasasalad, I am sure.  I am interested in the Medex Bronze GeoBlue. I told my DH about it at dinner.  He is going to call our insurance guy.  What is the amount of medical evacuation that is offered?

For those that have the annual policy's what is your coverage?  Same for the MedJet Assist folks.  What is the maximum amount of medical, and the evacuation on that policy?  MumtoMercury.  What amount of coverage do you get?

One point to make on the annual policies.  Most of you already know that there is a limit of use for these policies per year.  Both in dollar amounts and on the number of claims.  Others may not be aware of that.

Medical Evacuation

Domestic insurance plans typically limit or don't cover expenses for medical evacuations from foreign destinations. In addition to the administrative and logistical challenges, these situations can cost an unprotected traveler hundreds of thousands of dollars. All GeoBlue plans provide this important protection while traveling.

• Maximum Benefit per Trip Period for all Evacuations up to $500,000

• Pre-Existing Conditions

• The Trekker Choice plan coverage includes any pre-existing conditions present before your trip. Many travel medical plans exclude coverage for pre-existing conditions.

• Pre-existing condition coverage includes both medical services and medical evacuation.

• Coverage for length of trip

Unlimited number of trips in a 364-day period (covers up to the first 70 days of a trip)

Primary health plan required

Yes

Maximum medical benefit per insured person per policy period

$1,000,000 (For individuals aged 70-95, the Maximum benefit is $100,000)

Deductible per insured person per policy period (Note - this deductible is waived if using GeoBlue contracted providers)

$100 

Professional services

Surgery, anesthesia, in-hospital doctor visits, diagnostic X-ray and lab

100%

Office visits: including X-rays and lab work billed by the attending physician

100%

Inpatient hospital services

Surgery, X-rays, in-hospital doctor visits

100%

Inpatient medical emergency

100%

Ambulatory surgical center

100%

Ambulance services (non-Medical evacuation)

100% up to $1,000

Prescription drugs

Outside the U.S. outpatient prescription drugs

100% of Reasonable charges up to $5,000

Other

Physical and occupational therapy

6 visits per Period of Insurance, $100 Maximum payment per visit

Dental

Dental Care Required Due to an injury

100% of Reasonable Charges with a maximum benefit of $300 per Trip Period

Dental Care for Relief of Pain

100% of Reasonable Charges with a maximum benefit of $300 per Trip Period

Medical Network

With GeoBlue, leaving the U.S. doesn’t mean leaving behind familiar medical care if you need it. Only a small fraction of doctors around the world meet GeoBlue’s exacting standards — participation is by invitation only. Many doctors are certified by the American or Royal Board of Medical Specialties and speak English, and we factor in recommendations from 158 Physician Advisors from all over the world. While GeoBlue has hand-selected providers in 190 countries, our members have the freedom to choose any international doctor or facility for services. GeoBlue includes unlimited Global TeleMD™ telemedicine services in every plan at no additional cost. That means you can talk with a doctor from anywhere in the world from your mobile phone or tablet.

Additional Benefits

GeoBlue’s comprehensive coverage provides these important additional benefits for protection and peace of mind when traveling.

Accidental Death and Dismemberment AD&D

Maximum benefit principal sum up to $25,000

Emergency family travel arrangements

Should you be confined to a hospital for medical reasons, GeoBlue plans provide a maximum benefit per trip period up to $2,500 for the cost of one economy round trip airfare ticket to the place of the hospital confinement for one (1) person

Hazardous activities

Maximum benefit up to $25,000 for claims resulting from downhill (alpine) skiing and scuba diving at a depth of 20 meters or less (certification by the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) or the National Association of Underwater Insurers (NAUI) required or diving under the supervision of a certified instructor)

Lost baggage and personal effects coverage

Maximum benefit of $500 per trip period and limited to $100 maximum benefit per bag or personal effect

Repatriation of remains

Maximum benefit up to $25,000

https://go.geobluetravelinsurance.com/quote

Edited by Wasasalad
Add
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm curious what you mean by this.  How does your annual travel policy relate to your asthma medications?

The cost of my asthma meds just represents the severity of my disease. The insurance covers me well when I get ill when on trips. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Interesting.  I didn't know that was even an option (using travel insurance to purchase medications).

You can use your travel insurance when you need extra medications while on the road. I carry my usual meds, except for the one I have to get at an infusion center

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

TREE, I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Allianz.  I usually do all my insurance buys through AAA.  Never again!!  I have to say you saved me A LOT of money with your posting.  I have a trip in two weeks that I insured and our 12 day Odyssey out of Rome that was insured.  They upgraded us to the yearly plan starting at midnight tonight with the same coverage or better for 1050.00 all in.  They refunded both my other policies completely which were more than the 1050.00

In addition they added our son who lives with us and is Traveling with us on Wonder in 10 days for no additional cost.  He is part of the one year policy as well.

Needless to say as I was on the phone with Allianz my AAA rep called on my other line.  She was not happy as I "created a bunch of new paperwork for her and wanted details of my changes"

I specifically asked the Allianz rep to be sure my AAA rep was attached to the new policy so she got the credit.  Not sure on that end how it will all play out.

Thanks again for the info TREE.  We have one less headache to worry about while traveling for the next year for less money out of pocket.

We have an Icon cruise in January that I have not even insured as of yet that will also be covered.  Even more savings in the end.  Dan

Good choice.  We have used Allianz yearly policy for years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Thank you.  I have recovered as well as can be expected.  Fortunately those who survive a brainstem stroke (according to my neurologist, the survival rate is quite low...approx. 5%) typically only suffer from lifelong balance issues.  That is my only lingering problem.  I just take my time and am careful.  I did a TA from Rome this past October (a bit challenging, but I felt a sense of accomplishment having done it) and we just got back from 14 days on a Caribbean cruise.  I won't let this hold me back.  Covid already stole too many travel years, I don't want to give up anymore.  At the age of 68, I know my traveling years are becoming more and more limited with each passing birthday!LOL

Jerseygirl3-I just celebrated my 82nd birthday on Anthem OTS and I have 3 more cruises booked this year. Hopefully you'll have many more cruises ahead of you.

• Like 2

Wasasalad, Thank you!

Is the Treakker Choice plan the same as your plan, or is the cost more?  We do have pre-existing conditions, as I am sure most on Medicare do.

There is not much coverage on Dental in that plan. $300 barely covers filing down a chipped tooth. We are finding that out, as well, being on the BCBS Sapphire plan.  DH had an implant done (which they seemed to have covered nicely), but he just found out they they are not paying for the crown to go on top because it is a specialty crown and the cost is $2500!  Normal crowns, at a cost of $1200 are covered. 🤨

Medi-vac could be a bit low depending on where you are.   And there is nothing mentioned about getting you home to your local hospital.  That may be in the small print.

Oh my goodness, I have realized that this discussion has gone way beyond the intent of the OP and his opposition to RCI.  Sorry dlieu.😯 How is your mother?

On 2/19/2024 at 6:44 PM, Billy Baltic said:

Sorry to hear about your Mother’s illness. 

I sincerely hope the poster who reacted with laughter to the first post, did so by accident. If not, this place is getting worse by the day. 

Kind of seems like a personal attack on the person who laughed… since we can all click and see who did that.  Just saying.

To the OP, sorry about your experience.  Getting sick or injured in Mexico is a bad thing!

• Like 1

This was not the experience that my mother had on a princess cruise.  She fell and broke her hip in New Brunswick.  The princess rep. emptied their cabin, provided all their documents as well as transported her companion from the hospital back to the ship to retrieve it all, then back to the hospital.

The rep. followed up with mom through her surgery and stay and assisted in arranging her flight home to buffalo NY.  They were always available with the claims for the remainder of the cruise, not the hospital insurance though (beyond their scope).  

Perhaps this was because it was in Canada, but that shouldn't matter at all. When you can, I would provide feedback to RCCL, as this representative fell short, IMHO based upon our experience with another line.